Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking a lot about this one.

I feel extremely lonely a lot if not all the time, and I think that I ultimately have a lot to offer a girl. I'm passionate, I'm imaginative, I'm caring and I'm supportive of whatever those close to me are doing.

But would it even be fair to expect a girl to put up with my "issues"? Dating a socially phobic depressive would be quite demanding, I imagine.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Everyone else has issue too though.
Don't give it too much thought.
Everyone has negatives focus on the positives like you said, you've got alot to offer, you're caring and supportive, that should be enough.

·
SAS Member
31,285 Posts
You can't force her to put up with your issues. If she likes you then she'll want to stay and work with you and your issues. If not, then she'll leave you. If you deny yourself relationships based on the what ifs, then you'll be missing out on a potential partner who might be the one.

·
Banned
133 Posts
I've been thinking a lot about this one.

I feel extremely lonely a lot if not all the time, and I think that I ultimately have a lot to offer a girl. I'm passionate, I'm imaginative, I'm caring and I'm supportive of whatever those close to me are doing.

But would it even be fair to expect a girl to put up with my "issues"? Dating a socially phobic depressive would be quite demanding, I imagine.
No matter what issues you think that you have, there are people out there with far worse issues who are married and doing well (or not so well). You may think your issues are horrible, but as a student and semi-experienced social work professional, I can tell you that these issues are "child's play" and not really as bad as you believe. They can cause problems if they are not managed properly though.

Relationships are a human need and yes you should expect and believe that you are deserving of a relationship just like anyone else (so long as you do your best to treat your partner well). Instead of worrying about your "issues," do your best to solve them. People are attracted much more to strong people who can manage their issues - this gives you a better chance of attracting someone or of having a better relationship when you are with another person.

So, keep making yourself into a better person so that when the time comes for you to be in a relationship that your life will be that much better!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I feel the same way. I'm socially awkward and it generally takes a long time for me to become comfortable enough with a person to feel at ease around them. From my perspective it seems like someone would have to put to much effort into befriending me than the frienship would even be worth.

·
Registered
256 Posts
From my perspective it seems like someone would have to put to much effort into befriending me than the frienship would even be worth.
That's really well said. I'm not agreeing with your not worth the effort. Just I'm not sure how others feel about me but that is how I've felt about "normal" people. Too much effort and strain on me to try to pretend and manage. I can't play the game. That's why I'd rather find someone who is different or has anxiety like us.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts