Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
A Person
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was supposed to be my last day at work because I was on a contract, so i rock up to work today and my boss says "yo, we like you wanna stay on for an extra 6 months??" and I was like "yeah thats cool bud" :clap (well it didnt happen like that but just to summarise)

The thing is i was so mentally prepared to be unemployed that I was really looking forward to it. The past 6 months have been horrible to me mentally and work hasn't helped that at all. I really just wanted to take time out for me, just to help me recover and help reevaluate what I really want in this world. To finally pursue my hobbies, and catch up with old friends I havent been able to see. And now I feel pressured to work for another 6 months. I know its crazy that I wish I was unemployed! but i cant help how I feel.........

I have enough money to live off for a couple of years so it's not an issue either way

Is it bad that I'm sort of secrelty hoping that my boss terminated my contract sometime in the 6 months because there isnt really alot of work to do there atm so i'm a bit confused why they even offered me to stay!

But I know I'd be silly not to take this opportunity because jobs are so hard to find, but at the same time I really just wanted a couple of months to chill and get my sanity back to normal and now I just feel so conflicted...:um

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Yea I was thinking the same thing when I almost lost my job. I grew to like the idea of not having anywhere to be for once, not having to get up early, etc.

But like you said, jobs are hard to come by so I guess it's for the best.

At least be glad they like you enough to keep you on longer than your contract. You had to have impressed someone right?

·
Banned
901 Posts
Nah, it's not bad, but I like how you still said yes. If it's a job that you're even semi-comfortable with, that's definitely a good thing.

·
A Person
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
glad to know i'm not the only one. i just dont want to work, i want to chill out and find out who the f*** I am. does anyone get where I'm coming from here?

thats why when I found out i had a job extention I was disapointed...but i should of been happy.

it's crazy to say i don't want a job but it's the truth.

·
Brilliance lost
158 Posts
This is my life my right now! I'm constantly called on by a job I can't stand, and have this intense desire to pursue my hobbies and be who I want to be rather than a slave to the workforce. I have this feeling that talents I have are suppressed in the monotony of what I do. Plus, the pay sucks and most of the people are immature.

·
SAS Member
2,118 Posts
No, it's not bad. The department I work in was supposed to go through a downsizing last year and I was so hoping my job would be axed, but it never took place. Then it was supposed to happen early this year, but again it did not take place as other people have left of their own accord so there has been no need to get rid of anyone. I really want to leave and, like you, I have enough to live on for a couple of years, but the pay is good and I can't bring myself to give that up voluntarily... just yet. But the thought of getting the hell out of there and taking some time out for myself is getting harder to resist by the day.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't think it's bad that you don't want to work. **** if I could surf the net, blog, and just consult for interior design, I'd definitely do that because hanging out all day in my pj's sounds more appealing than having to dress up and sit in an office 9 hours a day. However, we have to be grown ups, even when we don't want to.

Have you thought about looking for a new job that would possibly fit your lifestyle better? It's always easier to find a new job when you have one.

·
A Person
6,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have enough cash to suit me for some years. it kind of what stops me from being motivated to work to be honest! i really just wanted this time to relax and pursue my hobbies and really think about WHO I AM. But i'd be bloody stupid to resign from a job to delibrately BE UNEMPLOYED. it makes me so mad!!! why did they have to keep me on for an extra 6 months! i didnt want this. I AM INSANE I KNOW. because being unemployed is ****ing horrible and you feel so worthless

but at the same time i just wanted to chill out and not be tied down to a job.......

i would like a part time job.. .that would be great, because id still have time to explore my leisurely pursuits. however trying to find a part time office junior role in my area... well i have more chance of being the next Harry Styles lets put it like that.

·
Registered
99 Posts
hmm. After a month of break you would probably feel like working again. Long breaks make it easy to get depressed i think. :blank

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yeah, I don't understand the immediacy and stress that employers and employees get themselves into.

In hindsight I've lost at least 2 full time jobs due to plain old burn out. If my employers had given me the time off in at least one of those circumstances, they would not have folded up shop one year later.

Instead it was a combination of ultimatum and my inability to negotiate that destroyed the entire scenario. 3 years with no vacation 24/7 work, not so great pay, and no time off. What do they expect will happen with someone? They closed shop within the year.

Cool Ice Dude55, I think you'd be surprised to learn how much vacation time some baby boomers get. Probably not unreasonable if you asked or negotiated similar treatment.

Here is the most relevant thing that comes to mind...

http://www2.macleans.ca/2014/01/20/is-maternity-leave-a-bad-ideathe-motherhood-gap/

For Julia (not her real name), 38, the treatment she received after she announced she was pregnant came as both a shock and confirmation of the message she had heard repeatedly in her career at some of Canada's biggest law firms: "We would go out for drinks, the ties would come off and the men would say: 'I see a wedding band on a man and I think, 'Amazing, because that guy's got to pay the bills and make sure the woman and children are happy,' " she says. " 'When I see a wedding band on a woman, the first thing I think is liability, because I know that 90 per cent of the time I'm going to have to deal with a pregnancy."
That being said, you are 24. You are a hot commodity.

Imagine you already have a 1 month contract following your six month contract. See what it was worth to your employers to wait a full six months to renegotiate. Maybe they can work around it, maybe they can find someone else temporarily, maybe they will counter offer. In any event, talking about the situation is in good interest.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Who the hell wants to work?? yeah sure, you need to work for money, but most people would want to be workless as long as there is some income

·
Registered
4 Posts
When I think about work, I feel so luck that the only thing I have to do is to sign papers for my father and I don't have to deal with anyone but him or my mother. It's bad for my social life but at least I feel safe and the money, might not be great, but it's steady.

Appart from that part-time job, I know I need to get a full-time job but to think of all the interviews and all the "social interactions" I'll have to do, turns me off so bad... :s I've been unemployed for 4 years now and I should say: Yes, it is bad if you want to be unemployed because you'll start to cut out every social side of your life for the sake of being "alone".

Well, that's how I feel, at least... :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
I wish I didn't have to work but then I'd have no money to live life, not that I currently do so. And I also don't think most or any females would want to date a lazy person with no financial security.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Yup. I DESPISE it. Not through laziness though, but just because I'm sick of being...a *****.

Just recently (Jan) left my job of 2 and a bit years. I've always worked since I was 16 and I'm 25 now and I'm already sick of it. I'm looking for jobs, but I'm not looking for jobs if that makes sense. Luckily I have some savings and the tables have turned and now my girlfriend can start contributing a bit more to the rent too and not just bills. I tell her I'd feel bad, however I paid for her travel for ... 3 years to Uni and everything she needed when she was studying, so it's my turn :) But yeah. I really don't get those people who parade doing 80+ hour work weeks (banker types, single parents supporting their family is different) like ****ing hell man, your life is depressing as ****.

I'm not lazy though, don't get me wrong, but I'm so done with doing **** that I really DON'T want too do in the same chair/desk/office/building every ****ing day for well over the majority of my waking life. It's got to the point where I subconsciously seriously can't do it. 12/13 hour shift doing physical labour work on the side? Sure, I enjoy it cuz it's always a different place and I'm not confined to one sole chair.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
But yeah. I really don't get those people who parade doing 80+ hour work weeks (banker types, single parents supporting their family is different) like ****ing hell man, your life is depressing as ****.
Eh, some people love their jobs and the money that comes with it. One man's "depression" can be another man's "paradise".

If you "want to be unemployed" so badly, then you're probably just not in the right job.

We all need a reason to get up in the morning. Without one, we start to sink.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Eh, some people love their jobs and the money that comes with it. One man's "depression" can be another man's "paradise".

If you "want to be unemployed" so badly, then you're probably just not in the right job.

We all need a reason to get up in the morning. Without one, we start to sink.
I agree and disagree just because it's not always a choice for people.

I disagree just because I know people through my old work who would pull ridiculous hours and really were the stereotypical ''live to work'' guys but not all of them seemed happy about it. If that is your passion, then cool, but I'm willing to bet it's not always necessarily through choice and more a combination of it being just ''what you know'' and having financial commitments. I can see some of those jobs being interesting, but the commuting, living out of suitcases and such cannot be a positive thing. Additionally, I never get the logic in people pulling more hours for more money when all they do is work. Just generalizing but I'd rather have twice as much time for myself and just a respectable wage. I've since read and my girlfriend (nurse) has confirmed that for a lot of people who are in that situation one of the first things they actually regret when they're on their deathbed is working far too much and not doing things they enjoy, spending time with family and so on.

But I agree if it's your passion, then awesome. I produce music as a hobby and would quite happily pull 12 hour sessions a day and I commend anyone who has managed to snag a job they enjoy that much but the reality is not everyone has that luxury, sadly. I think a lot of people that don't work aren't necessarily ''lazy'' or ''bums'', but just haven't found something that they enjoy or feel comfortable doing. I know in the real world a majority of people don't really have the option to be picky, but I just fail to see the logic in wasting your ONE life spending 8+ hours per day, including travel and stressing after work, doing a job they strongly dislike.

Jesus, that turned out longer than what I thought.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts