Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love black tea with milk but on the recommendation of a friend, have started taking green tea in place of black tea twice a day. It's not been very long but I don't really see any improvements as such. For example, my friend said that it will help my skin and that it's more refreshing in the morning than black tea (which is what I usually take), but this hasn't happened so far.
Thoughts?

·
SAS Member
13,226 Posts
Hmm, well, I have been drinking green tea (as well as many other kinds of tea :) ) for years now and can't say I have noticed any real benefits from it, aside from the perk the caffeine in it gives you. So, if there are any benefits, they are not that noticeable or have not been made evident to me yet. I don't know how it is for others, though.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, well, I have been drinking green tea (as well as many other kinds of tea :) ) for years now and can't say I have noticed any real benefits from it, aside from the perk the caffeine in it gives you. So, if there are any benefits, they are not that noticeable or have not been made evident to me yet. I don't know how it is for others, though.
I don't really like the taste of green tea, much prefer black tea with milk. Looks like I won't be sticking to it for long if I don't see any benefits soon, lol.
I've also taken a liking to spiced tea recently. Got it as a gift from someone for my birthday.

·
SAS Member
13,226 Posts
Yeah, if you don't enjoy it, don't force yourself to drink it, especially when you are not seeing any of these so-called "benefits."

·
Slowly Improving :)
3,656 Posts
Green tea is good for cholesterol and lowering blood pressure and supposedly reduces risk of cancer. idk if i believe the hype but I definetly believe its not bad for you and may have some benefits! In all honesty, i have learned through online browsing that forums are one of the wrst places to find EXPERT advice. Forums are where many people with different views and ideas and "facts" come together and then give you all sorts of answers on what is right and not right. Choosing the wrong advice could be bad. Contact your dosctor or someone you know rather than people you will never see on forums. The internet can be a sketchy place!

·
is getting over herself
12,022 Posts
who knows, really. I got into teas a while back, and read that nettle tea is supposed to be very good for the liver, so I bought some (expensive) nettle tea, tried it, and threw the rest out. it tasted like lawn.never again. I tried Rooibos tea because I was told it tasted like regular (English) tea, but without the caffeine. I was misinformed.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I tried to transition from regular tea to green tea, but I found I got headaches and I'm certain my skin was breaking out. Idk maybe my body was "detoxing"?!
A lot of people I know swear by green tea for being great for skin too, I never noticed it. Then again, I never actually drank it long term...

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I think the most advertised benefit of Green tea seems to be that it apparently contains anti-oxidants, which I think (I'm no biologist) are supposed to somehow act to neutralise the effects of 'free-radicals'. And I think free radicals are highly reactive, harmful particles; bi-products of respiration in cells and are thought to cause genetic damage, leading to ageing effects and cancers.

in fact wikipedia puts it better than me :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah green tea does seem to have health benefits. I dont drink it often coz I dont really like the taste but it is supposed to be good for you.
It has been found to protect the brain from dementia, lower your risk of coronary heart disease, lower your chance of having a stroke, help control autoimmune disease, generally improve immune function and make your skin better (less sunburn, more elasticity, better water balance, less roughness/scaling). Most of these are from long term studies though (12 weeks to 13 years), so you would have to keep with it to get the benefits. :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I heard that black tea also has various health benefits, but mostly only if taken without milk.

·
Registered
654 Posts
As with most healthy foods, you're not going to feel any effects for the most part. All the small parts of a great diet however, will add up to a distinct feeling of general wellness, characterised by a LACK of otherwise discomforting conditions.

·
Banned
4,253 Posts
Green tea definetley has benefits, I personally "feel" the benefits and feel like it gives me more energy and feel fresher and generally abit happier. I definetley wouldn't recommend Twinings though, I found all of their teas I tried a dissapointment and felt no benefits and wasn't impressed with the taste of any of them. I found Clippers' Green organic tea to be real good stuff though, also many herbal teas from Pukka brand were beneficial also and tasted much better than Twinings, particularly the three tulsi tea. I also found it gave me a better complexion overall. Teas with ginseng seem to calm me down also. I think its about which ones you choose, and also using non fluoridated water is a good idea, like not tap water, but that's just a whole other story, sorry if im maybe slightly off-topic since you only asked about green tea lol

·
Hot Garbage Stew
1,473 Posts
Chamomile has benefits of calming anxiety and helping you sleep since it's naturally caffeine free, but it has certain drug interactions, such as with aspirin, that are harmful. Certain things may interfere with the benefits of the tea you're drinking. They usually have more long term effects rather than immediate, so you may have to give it some time. There are some nice flavoured green teas available if you don't like the taste.

·
Banned
9,928 Posts
I hate the taste of the stuff. I just can't drink it. I get some lipton blueberry green tea and make it into iced tea. I can drink that. I don't know if it helps with anything. I don't think any concrete studies have been done on it's possible benefits, but green tea is supposed to have important antioxidants and compounds that help in maintaining good health.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts