Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's REALLY annoying when people judge you and look down on you because you enjoy playing video games, and ,well, pretty much EVERY SINGLE OTHER interest that I have. Due to this, I'm rife with low self esteem (although I don't show it) and self deprecation and negativity (which I show 90% of the time). But that's all my fault anyways: If I wasn't interested in those things, people would probably respect me more. Ohwell, doesn't matter.

But people EVERYWHERE all seem to point at one ultimate solution: confidence.
It seems that Everyone seems to almost glorify the idea of being a confident person, like confidence will get you everything you want in life.

But is it that amazing? People seem to almost "overhype" the confidence.
I also mean self esteem and all that stuff aswell. Self esteem doesn't technically exist:it's just an assumption on someones apparent self worth.

I'm sure there are many people without confidence that aren't hopeless losers. Whilst I personally am a hopeless loser, confidence sounds just plain overhyped in my opinion.
But I don't know, I'm probably just overanalysing again.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really is all that. I find myself admiring those very confident people almost daily.
But waht is so amazing about it? I mean, I can do the precise same things. Why do I get blacklisted whilst the confident people get their butts kissed?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
It's not overrated at all, confidence gets you jobs and women (among other things). Confidence is everything in society, evolution has pretty much ingrained it in our DNA (and in other animals' DNA). Confident males = alpha males, alpha males get what they want. Simple as that really.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
But waht is so amazing about it? I mean, I can do the precise same things. Why do I get blacklisted whilst the confident people get their butts kissed?
Just ask yourself this. If you didn't have SA, how much better off would you be in life? Now take that and add in a boost(i.e. confidence) and see how much better life is.

·
Walking thru mindfields
1,800 Posts
Confidence is the bread and blood of life. Without it everything is harder

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just ask yourself this. If you didn't have SA, how much better off would you be in life? Now take that and add in a boost(i.e. confidence) and see how much better life is.
It's not overrated at all, confidence gets you jobs and women (among other things). Confidence is everything in society, evolution has pretty much ingrained it in our DNA (and in other animals' DNA). Confident males = alpha males, alpha males get what they want. Simple as that really.
Confidence is the bread and blood of life. Without it everything is harder
It's just so annoying though: It's like every DAMN thing on Earth is trying to make me feel like a piece of defective human purely because I'm not an alpha male.

I've got NOTHING to prove that I am a human worth having pride in, other than my ability to draw big breasted ladies and super strong teenagers with guns and swords and mystical powers, and EVEN then I'm not that good.

If confidence is so darn amazing, then why is it so annoyingly hard to "get?" How does one get this only way to be a human and not a pointless waste of flesh?

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
It's REALLY annoying when people judge you and look down on you because you enjoy playing video games, and ,well, pretty much EVERY SINGLE OTHER interest that I have. Due to this, I'm rife with low self esteem (although I don't show it) and self deprecation and negativity (which I show 90% of the time). But that's all my fault anyways: If I wasn't interested in those things, people would probably respect me more. Ohwell, doesn't matter.
Just a society thing. The mainstream interest is to be outgoing in some way and being sociable. Video gaming is still viewed largely as an interest for geeks, shy people, withdrawn and reclusive people, socially inept people, people with no life, people who can't get laid etc, for those who don't play them and are always out.

Confidence is vital to be successful. If you want something, you have to go for it otherwise opportunities pass by. Once there was a chick interested in being my girlfriend while at school but I couldn't talk to her. She wanted to know why I would just ignore her and so started asking one of my friends. He told her that I was shy of girls and she changed her mind. You see, confidence is key, and hiding weaknesses and flaws is also another vital part to success.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a society thing. The mainstream interest is to be outgoing in some way and being sociable. Video gaming is still viewed largely as an interest for geeks for those who don't play them.
The fools they are lol!

·
Nobody's Perfect
1,105 Posts
Well I'm 32 and I enjoy and love playing xbox and some people might look down at me cos I waste my time with that, but you know what I don't care what they think. Your only 17 anyway so have fun! :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
It's just so annoying though: It's like every DAMN thing on Earth is trying to make me feel like a piece of defective human purely because I'm not an alpha male.

I've got NOTHING to prove that I am a human worth having pride in, other than my ability to draw big breasted ladies and super strong teenagers with guns and swords and mystical powers, and EVEN then I'm not that good.

If confidence is so darn amazing, then why is it so annoyingly hard to "get?" How does one get this only way to be a human and not a pointless waste of flesh?
While it's not impossible for someone to gain more confidence, the people that you see who have tons of it, usually had it their entire life. If you are someone with SA who has struggled with confidence and self-esteem, it's a little more difficult to gain some just because you want to.

·
Banned
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While it's not impossible for someone to gain more confidence, the people that you see who have tons of it, usually had it their entire life. If you are someone with SA who has struggled with confidence and self-esteem, it's a little more difficult to gain some just because you want to.
That does NOT matter though. The only way to be considered a human by society is to exude confidence and be an "alpha male" who kisses his own ***.
Good thing I'm psychologically masochistic, or all of this negative thinking would actually not feel good.

·
Registered
138 Posts
With confidence people will respect you more. People tend to gravitate towards people with confidence. That's from my experience, once upon a time when i had it. Now people can see that I'm weak. Miss my old self.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Confidence to me is risk taking, and not being afraid of screwing up. Knowing those mistakes will make you better. Learning from them. Understanding that if someone gives you crap for your mistake that's their hang up, because you have control.

It sucks when that feeling goes away, and you're not sure if you're making the right decisions. Getting out there, and "doing" is the only real way.

Luckily there are places like this where people can open up to say they understand, and give support.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Id like to share a video saying that 'You need confidence' is a shaming tactic directed at men in the dating scene. The term confidence is unclear, so it doesnt hold water. He goes over some others too. You may or may not agree but I think its something to ponder. He has 3 more parts too if you're interested

·
Registered
73 Posts
After a boost of anti depressant Vitamins and food, I do get a different feeling in me. The other day I was at the gym and really felt like talking to people, normally I have no interest at least that's what goes through my head or I'm too scared. I mean sure, I see a good looking girl and I think I should go over and talk to her, but this feeling was really different and it just felt normal to start conversation. So I sort of got a taste of what I've been missing out on and have been watching my friends so easily do time and time again.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I find it depressing that having confidence leads to situations that boost confidence even further, like sex and a fulfilling job. You have to have confidence to gain more confidence, if you don't life is just a spiral downward. It's inevitable.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I find it depressing that having confidence leads to situations that boost confidence even further, like sex and a fulfilling job. You have to have confidence to gain more confidence, if you don't life is just a spiral downward. It's inevitable.
You are so right that it hurts. I have come to realize that confidence is the number one most important thing that anyone can have. Without confidence we are two steps behind everyone before we even start. I firmly believe that confidence only builds more confidence as you succeed in life. Confidence also allows you to bounce back from failures quicker.

·
Banned
12,909 Posts
In terms of finding partner, I believe it is very overrated.

I would personally date a insecure and sweet girl over a confident and slightly obnoxious one any day of the week.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts