Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say, oh I don't know, I'm that girl with straight A's who isn't particularly intelligent in any particular field but has a good work ethic, is college essential?
I don't plan on being a "scholar" but will probably become one if I go to college.
I'm not arrogant but I'm realistic. I'm not extraordinary but not exactly ordinary either.

For instance, all schools that I've applied to offered me full scholarships, meaning I'm in without loans.

But I don't know what I'm "in"...some exclusive club that gives me a degree declining in value? "Turn down for what?" For a life maybe?

Though I understand I can have a life at university, and probably a more productive one, I'm stuck because I don't know whether to take the baton that my parents handed me or drop their "life track" entirely. College is making more confused than ever and I haven't even stepped on campus.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
It almost certainly is, as it doesn't seem like you much to lose, and you do seem like the sort of person cut out for it.

Do you have some idea what kind of job you want when you're done? Can you think of a degree you see yourself getting some use out of in the big wide world?

Though you'll want to make sure you have the resolve to get through those years, as the work load can get pretty tough.

·
Half-done Human Creature
3,686 Posts
It depends entirely upon what degree you plan on getting. If you want to go to college to get an English degree? Then no, you'll just be wasting your time. Look up high paying careers with a good job outlook in the occupational handbook and base your degree choice upon what will benefit you in the future.

·
Registered
443 Posts
If you're getting a full ride, go for it and learn to manage your time enough to make connections, get a part-time job, apply for internships, etc. While the knowledge you get will be usefully applied to whatever sort of career you want, networking is absolutely essential now that so many people are going in to get degrees because you'll have a hard time getting a non-McDonald's job without one (or substantial former experience). Working while in school looks good to prospective future employers.

·
Riding the Struggle Bus
270 Posts
Hey. I went to college for free and it was really the best time of my life. I learned so many important life skills and I built a lot of confidence in myself. I definitely had more job options when I graduated. I ended up going to graduate school...and I made the most of it in my undergrad, so I'll be getting two free graduate degrees as well. I'm getting paid to go to school. Lol.

I think the key thing to understand is that having a degree gives you the freedom to choose. It can be a little dependent on your degree, but in general you will earn yourself more career options and maybe get a better sense of your goals in life. I'm a biologist and after I graduate I have the choice to stay in academia or leave and do something completely different. I also really love that my degree will give me the ability to choose jobs that let me be creative and pursue my own interests. College for free is definitely worth it.

If you'd like to talk more about college...send me a PM. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Absolutely without a doubt 100% yes. There are so many benefits to going to college and very few downsides. I'm in mountains of debt but still think it's worth it.. if I could go for free I'd be ecstatic.

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
If you can go for free, you might as well go. Socially and financially. Having a degree sadly improves the kinds of jobs you can apply for.

·
Registered
295 Posts
As others have said, without debt it is absolutely worth it. Depending what you want to do it may or may not be essential. However, in most cases, it's a piece of paper employers want to see before they will even give you a chance. If the question was 'is it worth it with $200,000 in debt' my answer might be different but for free there's no reason not too.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses. ironically, the major I was looking at isn't known for being lucrative...

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thank you everyone for your responses. ironically, the major I was looking at isn't known for being lucrative...
Well then it's a good thing you won't be starting in a major hole from debt. It's a big issue now days when you have college grads coming out hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt landing entry level jobs making 40k. I don't know how someone is ever supposed to get out from under that.

·
Banned
453 Posts
Do you care more about what prospective employers think you know, or do you actually care about acquiring knowledge? If the former, go to college. If the latter, self-educate.

You can learn everything you are taught in college, and more, in an unbiased manner, in the comfort of your own home and at your own pace.

I was never taught string theory in college. I was never taught Austrian economics in college. I was never taught to play the piano in college. I was never taught guerrilla warfare tactics in college.

Self-education > college

·
Registered
802 Posts
Depends what you major in. Get a degree where you can get jobs where the job market is good and there is always a demand for it. Like for instance some people will go to college and they will major in literature or history. Then they can't find jack squat for a job. Get into a field of study that is in demand and has growth in the job market. If you do that then yes college is definitely worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts