Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
High Commander of MOLW
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My therapist said I should participate in more social events. She said clubbing is a good way to start. I've been to a few parties and I end up sitting listening to noise blasting my eardrums to oblivion. Seriously. Am I doing something wrong? I really feel some need for being social but when I'm there I hate it. Why is my mind so confused?

·
Hermit
1,187 Posts
Clubbing is not for people with social anxiety. I've been many times in a club, the only way to handle it is ... by drinking until I get an ultra strong buzz. Otherwise it's a torture.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,356 Posts
I don't think clubbing is the best way to participate, it might help you get used to feeling self concious like dancing and such, but it's not going to help with actual social interaction since you can't really do that in a club lol.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I mean I don't want to say your therapist is wrong, but I wouldn't say clubbing is a good place to start. The only time I've ever been able to handle it is with lots of alcohol. And since I've pretty much stopped drinking I don't go anymore. Try something social where the social part isn't the main bit, like taking up a class/learning a new hobbies. That way what you're doing is the center of attention and not talking to others

·
A Person
6,078 Posts
I was forced to be an extrovert by my family so i went to clubs.. the only way i could tolerate it was by drinking, which then resorted me into being an alcoholic which has basically f***ed up my life.

Clubbing is horrible and basically made for morons. You could try meetup.com?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I like clubbing, but I don't feel like I'm doing anything to overcome my anxiety. The loud music and everything just distracts me from it. I'd rather be in a crowded place with loud music blaring than a quiet room with just a few people though...

·
Registered
267 Posts
What's there to do in a club besides dance, drink, and have gross, sweaty people rub on you?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
I'm being confident while I'm dancing in the club but it doesn't help me with my SA in real life. Coz it doesn't require any social interaction or conversation with anyone.

·
Banned
10,878 Posts
Depends on the club , really . Every place is different . Some places attract morons . Others attract respectable people of Class .

It has helped me with social anxiety , because I like dancing . But if one Doesn't like dancing , then I'm afraid clubbing won't have much to offer .

Try a sober club . LOL

·
deceased
573 Posts
Going to clubs and the like is only bearable for me when I'm drunk, but to be fair, when that's the case I usually have great time.

·
Banned
195 Posts
Are there really shy people who can dance? Or only shy people who think they can dance once they are sufficiently drunk and stoned? I used to go with my outgoing good looking best friend. He kind of had to drag me there though. Only time I've ever drank beer. Gross watery Rolling Rock. Eww. I remember a girl was laughing at me hysterically when I tried to dance with her. After that it required entire herds of wild horses to get me on the dance floor again. I've never actually seen a white person who can dance without embarrassing themselves anyway.

·
Requiem for a meme
1,442 Posts
I am at the point where I can club sober, it has helped me so much going out clubbing

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If most people here are like me and clubs are what I think they're like, then they'd probably stand around awkwardly wondering why the hell they got themselves into such a situation.

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
Definitely

I have a deep desire to find a way into an office (appointment) with an agency responsible for ensuring I'm unemployed, armed with anything heavy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts