Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I actually find it interesting when people disagree with each other and go back and forth, point for point.

I would say that as long as it's relatively respectful, there is no harm in having arguments, and it can be beneficial to all parties as they gain and increase debate skills with one another, or let off some steam.

If somebody insulted another person, I'd think the best course would be to delete that post and suspend that person, rather than lock the whole thread.

Is there a place where rules regarding this are listed, so people know what is going on? Really tired of seeing threads locked for no apparent reason. I don't see why it is 'necessary' to do so.

As long as people are discussing things that are important to them and sharing different opinions, there will be disagreements & arguments.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Since I've been involved in quite a few...arguments are allowed in S&C and Relationships. Mods do delete posts rather than the threads, but only seem to do it twice. In my experience if a mod edits a thread twice the third time will be locking it(that's not an official rule, just a trend I picked up on). Also not everything is allowed to be argued nor should it: you still can't make 'who-has-it-worse' threads and pretend it's just a debate thread.

The rules are at the top of every single forum. http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f53/announcement-board-guidelines-updated-03-19-14.html

·
SAS Member
7,407 Posts
The rules should be added to the "New Posts" section. A lot of members rarely or never click on individual forums. Plus it's at the bottom, not at the top.

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
The rules should be added to the "New Posts" section. A lot of members rarely or never click on individual forums. Plus it's at the bottom, not at the top.
It's at the top for me, above every other thread. I wonder why it's at the bottom for you. But yeah I think they should be more obvious, somehow....not that it makes a difference. Everyone who's broken a rule has gotten a personal PM about that rule. If they break again it's not out of not knowing.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I actually find it interesting when people disagree with each other and go back and forth, point for point.

I would say that as long as it's relatively respectful, there is no harm in having arguments, and it can be beneficial to all parties as they gain and increase debate skills with one another, or let off some steam.

If somebody insulted another person, I'd think the best course would be to delete that post and suspend that person, rather than lock the whole thread.

Is there a place where rules regarding this are listed, so people know what is going on? Really tired of seeing threads locked for no apparent reason. I don't see why it is 'necessary' to do so.

As long as people are discussing things that are important to them and sharing different opinions, there will be disagreements & arguments.
The rule is to "go after the topic, not the person".
If there is a personal attack, then action can be taken. Locking the thread is usually a last resort....after multiple courses of actions were taken.

·
SAS Member
7,407 Posts
It's at the top for me, above every other thread. I wonder why it's at the bottom for you. But yeah I think they should be more obvious, somehow....not that it makes a difference. Everyone who's broken a rule has gotten a personal PM about that rule. If they break again it's not out of not knowing.
That's weird that it's at the top for you. I'm kind of doubtful about the personal PM thing, though. It always seems like threads/posts get deleted without any action being taken. There are posters who repeatedly break the rules but have yet to be banned.

·
Not dead yet
4,801 Posts
Yeah most rules are pretty stupid/pointless, also it's very easy to offend random people without intending and getting a warn from a mod or something (I'm so paranoid about that happening every time I post).

It's very easy to interpret any post however you want and act offended, ending up with moderators deleting whatever they want. Even worse, some people actually report other people's posts, so the chance of deletion goes even higher.

So basically if I was a mod, I could delete random posts that I didn't like and it will still be ok because someone somewhere finds it offensive. lul

·
Banned
1,628 Posts
Yeah most rules are pretty stupid/pointless, also it's very easy to offend random people without intending and getting a warn from a mod or something (I'm so paranoid about that happening every time I post).

It's very easy to interpret any post however you want and act offended, ending up with moderators deleting whatever they want. Even worse, some people actually report other people's posts, so the chance of deletion goes even higher.

So basically if I was a mod, I could delete random posts that I didn't like and it will still be ok because someone somewhere finds it offensive. lul
Am sorry this post offended me,am going to have to report you.Have a good day.

·
Banned
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Bigotry
Any content which is deemed by the staff to contain racial, sexual, religious, or any other kind of bigotry will be locked, edited or removed. This includes excessive gender stereotyping and inciting or engaging in gender "wars."

Ah I think this is the one that got a bunch of threads locked. Maybe there should be a separate section for whoever wants to, to hash this out back and forth. I like to hear different opinions and perspectives, hear peoples reasons for them, and to offer my own. I really don't see the harm in discussing such things.

·
Banned
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's at the bottom for me too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts