Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that people with SA can be perfectionists. I know that for the most part if I do not get something perfect then I have a hard time being proud of myself or giving myself credit. This doesn't mean that I judge others or expect others to be perfect. I'm a lot more understanding of others than I am of myself. It's as if I cannot accept mediocrity in myself. It really pisses me off.

I know that I seem to post a lot of threads and I reply to a lot of people when I either am interested in what they've posted or if I am able to relate to what they have written . I actually feel like I'm hijacking the forum or have a monopoly on the threads. So if this gets on your nerves then I am sorry. I'm just really trying to understand myself. It helps to read other people's post and see how their experiences relate to my own. So in understanding how others are I can understand myself.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,028 Posts
I've discussed the perfectionist trait with my therapist & I do fall into the category though I'm not a perfectionist in the general view of the term, rather to my own standards.

Side note:
- If you're worried about posting too much you can always start a blog here to put yourself at ease

·
Hiding in my basement
347 Posts
I'm a perfectionist. Most of the time I won't start or I will scrap a project if I can't do it perfect.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
i consider myself a perfectionist and i always aim at being better then the rest. the way i see if anybody else can do it i can too, and better.

i think i have mentioned this before but i am proud for having this skills because they have helped me maintain a job even though my SA gets in the way. everywhere i have worked i shine and aim to do my best.
_

"my life is a jigsaw puzzle, with some pieces missing" - mrfixit

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been told im a perfectionist. If nothing works out right or i run into a few snags like with a project im doing then i get really frustrated.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I'm the lord of perfection. I'd say it's part of OCD. That doesn't mean I'm perfect, rather it means that I go through life endlessly, obsessively, annoyed by any mistakes I make no matter how minor and am endlessly annoyed by all the "f***ing idiots" as I call them when angry who fail to live up to my standards of perfection.

It's not easy being a perfectionist living in a world that is anything but perfect. There are lots of things I put off or don't do at all because I don't want to do it wrong. I feel like things must be perfect, even though I logically know that doing something well is a hell of a lot better than doing nothing at all because you are waiting to figure out how to do it perfectly. Well done should be good enough, but my mind demands perfection and will find every little error that nobody else would even think about. Life is hell when good enough simply isn't good enough.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Totally. I also have the inability to make myself start or continue something if I can't see it through to a very high standard. That's probably part of why I sit in my room all the time and don't bother with sports, exercising, socializing, or much of anything else that I'm not good at. My outlet for feeling like I'm worth something is school, where I've always been able to pull off A's without trying much. It's like I got used to the feeling of effortlessly succeeding academically at a young age, and it shaped me into this incredibly lazy person who can't bear to engage in anything that might require an ounce of dedication (and worse, the possibility that even after pouring my heart into it, I still won't be very good at it).

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I'm a perfectionist. If I do something wrong, I will feel really stupid sometimes.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I'm definitely a perfectionist, only regarding myself though. I don't tend to judge everyone else to my own high standards and i'm usually not nearly as critical of others as i am of myself. I can do something really well and then make one tiny mistake and in my mind that discounts all the positive stuff and i'll feel like i've failed.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
Um. Yes. See user name.

I have this massive fear that doing anything less than perfect will lead to negative feedback, and harsh judgement from everyone. If it's not perfect, I failed.

I think I'm working on it though. A bit. I'm better than I used to be at least.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm not a perfectionist, per se, but I do beat myself up whenever I get negative feedback about work I've done. "Oh, that was stupid," "wow that was obvious," etc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm definitely a perfectionist. Even though I realize that no one is perfect and that making a mistake is not the end of the world, I can't help but strive for perfection. As a result I'm very critical of myself, and probably too critical of others as well. I feel like if I make a mistake, people will think less of me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Um. Yes. See user name.

I have this massive fear that doing anything less than perfect will lead to negative feedback, and harsh judgement from everyone. If it's not perfect, I failed.

I think I'm working on it though. A bit. I'm better than I used to be at least.
Thats more of a people pleaser trait than a perfectionist trait. Perfectionists are severe narcissists. They cant stand faults in anyone else, and justify there own and make up elaborate fantasies covering them up if they cant justify. There is nothing healthy about perfectionism. Perfectionists cant see gray, its all black and white thinking.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm a perfectionist. If I do something wrong, I will feel really stupid sometimes.
I often thought about that Jimmy Eat World song you quote at the bottom of your message. It's the ulimate SA song. Perhaps that is why I've always been able to relate to it.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats more of a people pleaser trait than a perfectionist trait. Perfectionists are severe narcissists. They cant stand faults in anyone else, and justify there own and make up elaborate fantasies covering them up if they cant justify. There is nothing healthy about perfectionism. Perfectionists cant see gray, its all black and white thinking.
Yes, I've met people like that. I find them insufferable. Thank you for clarifying the difference. When use the word perfectionist when describing myself I mean to say that I want to get everythg perfect, I want to be perfect so that I can feel as though I am truly worth something. When I am good at something then I feel as though I can measure up to others.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm definitely a perfectionist, only regarding myself though. I don't tend to judge everyone else to my own high standards and i'm usually not nearly as critical of others as i am of myself. I can do something really well and then make one tiny mistake and in my mind that discounts all the positive stuff and i'll feel like i've failed.
Yeps! This is how I feel as well. At least I'm proud of myself for not being this critical and unforgiving with others. I used to be this way when I was consumed with anger about everything.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think of myself as a perfectionist but I am... 'cause what I do is never perfect, there's always room for improvement or I slopped something up... Even though everyone around me tells me its great, perfect, wonderful...

My standards for myself are to high, things have to be perfect, if a coworker does a job and its not the way I like it or perfect, I'll follow behind them and redo it when they are not looking. Even though what they did will work its not perfect.

Anything I do is not good enough, I can do better, and I keep trying to get it, perfection.

I really need to let go of those extreme standards but its difficult, you keep having those what if situations run through your mind, what if that fails, or what if I took more time to do this, would it work better, what if I done this, what if, what if....

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't think of myself as a perfectionist but I am... 'cause what I do is never perfect, there's always room for improvement or I slopped something up... Even though everyone around me tells me its great, perfect, wonderful...

My standards for myself are to high, things have to be perfect, if a coworker does a job and its not the way I like it or perfect, I'll follow behind them and redo it when they are not looking. Even though what they did will work its not perfect.

Anything I do is not good enough, I can do better, and I keep trying to get it, perfection.

I really need to let go of those extreme standards but its difficult, you keep having those what if situations run through your mind, what if that fails, or what if I took more time to do this, would it work better, what if I done this, what if, what if....
Wow, I'm the exact same way. Especially went it comes to hearing someone else compliment my work, achievement, etc. I can always seem to find some flaw.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
Perfectionists are severe narcissists. They cant stand faults in anyone else, and justify there own and make up elaborate fantasies covering them up if they cant justify. There is nothing healthy about perfectionism. Perfectionists cant see gray, its all black and white thinking.
that is the most full of crap post i have read in a long time. by the way you judge people i can tell you are not very smart.
_

"my life is a jigsaw puzzle, with some pieces missing" - mrfixit.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts