Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have met a couple people from here on it because of SA, but it's a very difficult process since SA isn't really known to be debilitating..and of course if your SA is bad enough for disability, the obstacles are much more amplified..

·
Banned
3,285 Posts
They'll always deny you the first time around, get a lawyer though and you'll get in. Get a qualified disability lawyer and get all your doctor records, list of medications, and family references ready.

·
Registered
609 Posts
u really want to be on disability though..??i can understand for the agoraphobics out there but for SA??id think an SA person that would get on disability would eventually get much worse in terms of their disorder...just my thoughts..

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
I got on disability for mdd major depressive disorder and got denied the first time and appealed the second time and got approved in less than a year thanks to medical records

·
Wonderland
10,619 Posts
Eh SA is not that disabling CBT and meds can help a lot... disability will any make you worst. You can still do the things with SA your just really nervous is all.. disability would make it so you could stay home all the time - whats the exposer in that ? Eh and the people who have cancer and really physically can't work have to go threw such a process cos everything thinks they can go onto the state funding when the states don't have cash!

·
Registered
401 Posts
One thing about SA is that avoiding the outside world makes it worse. The only thing that can make SA better is exposure.

Getting disability could allow you the chance to seclude yourself even further (something that is very tempting to do when you have SA).

·
Registered
501 Posts
Wasn't sure if you could get it for anxiety, so I was curious.
I can't speak about the US, but in the UK SA is a recognised mental health disability and you can get benefit for it called Incapacity Benefit plus free prescriptions and full Housing Benefit providing a doctor makes a diagnosis of severe and signs you off as unfit to work.

I was on that benefit for a long time before i started my own business with government assistance.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My problem is that I work temp agencies, but really don't get enough work to support myself even if I had a roommate. And I nearly had a panic attack at my last job interview, so even when I do work up the courage to get a job interview, I mess up so bad during it, that I won't get the job... so, I dunno, I rather not be on disability, not even sure I'd be able to, but it's getting frustrating to me.

·
Inactive Member
574 Posts
My SA is actually too bad for me to go to the job centre and ask about incapacity benefit. Maybe if there were slightly fewer drunks and junkies hanging around the place it might be easier. I accompanied my sister there once for an interview with some kind of disability support officer, and it was bedlam. There were actual bouncers on the door who wouldn't let me in because I wasn't the one with the appointment. Never again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts