Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
waiting to bloom
8,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going about your day in a serious, somber mood while everyone else is joking non-stop to each other to the point where it seems that you're the only one working. Friends, Girlfriends, Boyfriends, Hookups all being made except without you in it. Lunch is a very lonely affair, and you feel more awkward the longer you eat, so you end up rushing the meal and not enjoying it so much. While you wish to avoid social interaction and hate everybody with intense passion, deep down inside, you wish you could have one person to confide in...but alas, you are a lone wolf. A sad, lone wolf with social anxiety.

·
SAS Member
2,118 Posts
Yes, that pretty much describes me. I go entire days without barely saying a word to anyone. Everyone else seems to get on famously with each other, laughing and joking away and going off to lunch in their little cliques. All day long I get it rubbed in my face just how different I am and that I don't belong. I really wish I didn't have to be there - it makes my life an absolute misery.

·
We all wear a mask.
1,802 Posts
Everything you've said, except for the lonely at lunch part, applies to me.

I'll speak if spoken to but I don't care to chat with outgoing co-workers that chat more than they work.

Anytime I get the opportunity to(all breaks), I go outside to think or simply enjoy nature.

·
Audacious romantic
4,496 Posts
Yes, I am sometimes too gloomy and uncertain of myself at work.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Perfectly describes me in my previous job. Part of the reason why I left. We had those "happy hours" on fridays, and man was that the awkwardest time ever. I joined in couple of times and had absolutely nothing to contribute to conversation. People were talking about how they go on vacations with their families, party, go to exotic restaurants etc... while my life is limited to my work, studio apartment, and computer monitor pretty much 24/7.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Meeeeeeeee....story of my life.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sounds like we all need to sit together at lunch.
haha I can only imagine. Bunch of unfriendly-looking silent people giving you a silent stare if you dare approach them! :sus

No extroverts allowed here! How cool would that be? :D

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I work under little supervision. I usually mingle the most with the people in my department. But not a whole lot.

Hang out with other departments, no frigging way..

I think I do pretty good considering in my job I live eat and sleep at the workplace 14 days at a time.

I'm like the Janitor/maintenance guy character from the TV series 'scrubs'.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Yep, I'm like that everywhere I go in life. I can't help it. There's just something innate that keeps me from being able to bond normally with other humans.

·
Banned
4,372 Posts
i like coming into work, doing my job, leaving and staying out of the drama.

i like having my lunch alone. I actually do!:yes

This way, i don't worry about having a mouthful of food, and spitting bits and pieces of schrapnel on someone when they ask me a question right after i've taken a bite of something.:blank

Other than that, i am definitely a "lone wolf"..

one of the guys called me "The Stealth" worker. I thought it was offensive at first, but he said likes the way, i come in without a sound, do a task efficiently, then take off..

·
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!
11,237 Posts
For me....no.

at the previous jobs I had, I seemed quite well liked there....could joke and banter with the best of them.....and when i had to leave the last job....seems some of the girls i worked with there missed me from what I heard,. and I enjoyed being there.....and yes...I did still get the work done :)

at lunchtime one of the other jobs I had.....enjoyed meeting some of the people from the other department that shared that staffroom also.....

but it depends on who you work with and the setting. if you work with a bunch of a**holes.....then it can be uncomfortable I guess.

·
Registered
414 Posts
On Monday mornings we could all compete to see who did the least in the weekend.
hell yeah I am going to win that one! :D

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
Occasionally I joke around with my coworkers. Most of the time I'm very serious and focused at work though. I'm sure I really confuse the hell out of people since my anxiety fluctuates a lot.

·
We all deserve something.
1,786 Posts
You said it pretty well, but yep that is pretty much me, although from time to time a couple of my coworkers will talk to me, and ask how I am. Most the time I'm a lone ranger though, slowly beginning to despise my coworkers, for not giving me a chance, but in reality they did try to give me a chance, just gave up very quickly with me, and I'm the one who can't take the jump of faith to get to know my coworkers. So instead I stand awkwardly around while my coworkers laugh with each other, I just stand like a statue, as if I don't even exist, inside I want nothing more than to make a single friend, someone that I could hang out with, but even when I do get to talk to one of my coworkers, I can never get past the barrier of acquaintance. I am also a lone ranger, it makes me feel terrible inside every day.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts