Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody here that has SA content with their life? Like are some of you okay with living like this for the rest of your life? I personally feel like I'm okay. I've built my life around social anxiety and their will always be things that I wish to change but I think I've finally learned that some of it is just never going to happen and it's not because I have a negative outlook, it's simply because I know in my heart that this is just who I am.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Nope, I'll never be okay.

·
Day Of The Dead
945 Posts
Sort of. I kind of have that angst-y feeling of "I'll be ok on my own, I don't need anyone else" but then again, the thing I fear most is being alone forever. That's kind of a contradiction, but I hope it makes sense.

·
Little Winged One
6,445 Posts
Theres one or two areas of my life in which I'm happy-but the other areas -no. This isn't living,it's just existing. I've whittled down what I need in order to feel content but it seems impossible to get even the basics of what I need.

·
Prince Procrastinator
237 Posts
It seems like I'm beating social anxiety. For now, I feel 'content'. Maybe happy aswell. Not truly happy. I'm still missing things. I'm still not complete.

To think you're never going to be 'ok' is silly. There is cynicism and there is bad thinking. Bad thinking is being completely hopeless, there is always hope. You can beat anxiety, or structure your life in a way the SA doesn't take away happiness. To think otherwise is a death wish and a sign of being too bitter.

·
Banned
227 Posts
Definately not. I don't think this is who we are. Life is to be enjoyed, it is by pure chance we are here in the first place, and to waste that chance would be dumb.
I'm 100% certain that social anxiety will have a huge impact on my career, and to know that I won't reach my full potential, and recieve the most from my passion, is going to be very depressing. Just like school, I will be picked last for promotions.
I'm not content with remaining the same.

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
Hmm I think I am content....or just unaware. My life is just how it is..and I don't expect much more from it. One thing I am NOT content with is my health problems, such as needing surgery and having a digestive disorder. Take away anxiety etc and I still have that to deal with. I am just the way I am.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
No, I'm not content. My life is total crap. One hellish day followed by another.

·
Live.Laugh.Love.
1,243 Posts
I feel that if I can stay postive and can deal with my other illness I can learn to be content if I could just rid myself of the anger I have to the people in my life and myself. I am content with parts of my life but others I am horribly unhappy I have gained weight because I do not go out as much as I used to but I am happy with who I am as in my soul maybe not physically as much but more soulful and hopeful but I do have my bad days when I just want to give up and go to a hospital to find real help but I know that is not an answer. I wish everyone here luck and keep hope it may seem hopless but I promise that it can get better if you keep your head up and keep trying what your doctors and others suggest.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Is anybody here that has SA content with their life? Like are some of you okay with living like this for the rest of your life? I personally feel like I'm okay. I've built my life around social anxiety and their will always be things that I wish to change but I think I've finally learned that some of it is just never going to happen and it's not because I have a negative outlook, it's simply because I know in my heart that this is just who I am.
I'd say I'm as OK with it as a person can be. I will say that I've pretty much decided there's no realistic way to change having SA without changing myself into the kind of person I don't want to be. Any changes I make will never last because it's not who I am. I have tried making changes that allow me to (more or less) live the way other people do and sort of fit in but it always feels all wrong and I end up realizing it feels wrong because it is. For me.

So yes. I'm content but also a little depressed about it because I know a person can't live the way I'm living forever even if they want to. There will be a moment of truth. It might not be tomorrow. It might not be for 10 or 20 years but one day, I know I'll have to make the hardest decision a person can make. I'm just trying to enjoy whatever I can make out of this while I can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not sure if this is getting at what you were asking for, but this is how I feel: I have done some amazing things in the past few years, things I never would have imagined doing 5-10 years ago. That being said, I still struggle day-to-day on little things and get very anxious when I have to do something that I find tough (talk to someone new, make a presentation, etc.). And I feel like that's just how it's going to be for the rest of my life; I don't think I'll ever get to the point where things like that won't be terrifying to me. However, as long as I keep doing them and don't let the fear hold me back, then it's okay if that's how I am.

·
Banned
497 Posts
im disgusted by the thought of spending the rest of my life as a social phobic.

i want it all, i want to be the best i can be and i want the best out of life

having sed that though part of me is extremely content and confy as a social phobic cos its safe staying like this, its safe to avoid change .

i dont want to stay like this bu it isnt half confortable

i want to change but it isnt half uncomfortable

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
i have a feeling that it depends on how one was raised (fate). i don't like my current state of being if i cannot find a way out of this through CBT i will return back to my roots, sad to say, which is to be an a-hole and think that i'm better then everyone else and everyone else is stupid. i was raised that way, i'm the only nice guy in the family. my dad thinks he is the king and he is always right even when he is wrong. he manipulates people with words (mind will always be stronger then body) he is like 5'4'' and he can manipulate guys who are 6' tall. my brother and uncles are the same way. so if i can't beat this through CBT i will try to beat this by being 'ALPHA'. but NO, i'm not content.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I used to think I could get along with it. I really, really tried. However, not treating it made it progress. I didn't do anything to make it worse, that's just what time does - it changes you.
If you're content now in the way that you are, then that is your decision, but imagine how much stronger you are mentally now then you will be during menopause. What if it gets worse with time?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts