Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anybody on here a memeber of Plentyoffish datesite if so did you found someone?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I get new messeges everyday from different guys all of them have been nice so far....some i'm attracted too and alot of them i'm not...some are to old...some of them have left me there phone numbers and they wanted mines but i told them my phone is off,which is not true...i want to call some of them to see what there about but i'm kind of scared...i let them know in my profile that i'm a shy/quiet person...so they know upfront that i don't talk much....i talk but not as much as the average outgoing person lol...i asks questions,some guys said that i asks to many questions,but i really don't think i do,to me i don't ask enough....i just want to know if anybody on here on plentyoffish.com or any other dating sites did it work are you comfortable sending messeges,calling them or meeting up with them? This is not new to me,i use to meet guys on phone chatlines/partylines...i did that in the mid 90-'s to early 00's... had bad luck,some guys were cool...met my last ex-boyfriend of 3yrs. off the phonelines,ended bad but that's a different story...when i met all these guys i was still the same nervous and somewhat talkative but not enough for them...

· Banned
791 Posts
get a phonecard and call the guys ur interested in from a payphone, u'll be hard to trace that way. If u call from ur phone even if you have something that masks ur phone number guys who know something about computers can still trace u.
watch out for married guys, men just looking for sex, money, or both and unstable people......seems like i never met anyone desireable through the net, the ones who weren't any of the above generally i wasn't attracted to and they weren't attracted to me...
i used plentyoffish for awhile, never met anyone from there or talked to anyone on the phone but i always got responses from really stalker types, BDSM guys, guys in their fifties, or married men

· (.*?)
10,189 Posts
Can't you bargain them down from phone to IM, then maybe try phone after you know them better?

In a moment of daring insanity a few years ago, I actually put a profile on that site. I'm always honest and upfront with those sorts of things, and included a photo like it suggested, so I got 0 messages. Next time I'll be more vague.

· Registered
5,566 Posts
A while ago I had a profile on there. I wasn't looking to date or anything though, only make some friends. I managed to start a few different correspondences. I eventually ended up giving up on it though. It was draining for me (evergy wise) to keep up the conversations and I seemed to be attracting people with interests very dissimilar from my own.

It usually seems like the more truthful/specific I am on sites like that the less messages and responses I get...lol. Maybe I'll give it another go some time.

· Registered
192 Posts
I was on eHarmony about 4 years ago. My sister told me about the personality tests and other things about the site. So I decided to do it for fun and just to see how things would turn out. I ended up communicating with a lot of guys (much more than I ever thought would be interested in me!) over the internet. Some of the guys I didn't like as much as others. But, I didn't want to hurt their feelings and figured I could also grow to like them (which did happen in some cases). So, I keep communicating with all the guys. It got to be too time consuming and exhausting. There were some guys that ended communication with me. They had what they called "must haves" and "can't stands". Some of them put that they must have a girl who is experienced, adventurous...(things I'm not) and said they couldn't stand someone who is overly shy (that's me!). With some I came right out and told about my SA. That didn't go over well at all! Oh well. I'm not going to be fake and pretend that I'm something I'm not.

Overall I think those dating sites suck. They are full of judgmental people who aren't much of anything themselves.

Good luck to anyone who tries them! ;)

· In 'da 707
4,392 Posts
I've been a member since last summer. So far i've met one guy in person (he is alright), one guy i sometimes talk to online, and recently i've met this other person who seems nice too. I've chatted online w/him only 2 brief times. A big prob might be that i'm just looking for friends and not romantic stuff.

Most ppl i don't even reply to cuz they are too superficial in their messages (like just saying "wanna chat?"). I also don't reply to the person if they seem like a huge extravert based on their profile.

Good luck at meeting some nice peeps!

· Registered
201 Posts
I've had mild luck...

I met one nice woman, but she was a state over. It was fun to just conversation with someone even if it wasn't real like. Just felt good like to get over that no woman likes you feeling you start to think when your consistently ignored.

I've had women contact me that were way way below my standards. Guy face, marital issues, kid issues, drug issues, not something I was looking for and well just pretended I didn't see their message.

I try to send contacts out if I see someone my flavor. I mean the site isn't marriage or anything, just friendly small talk a lot of people seems to miss on that fact. A lot times the person doesn't match my standards exactly but I message just to talk a bit to see if there is anything in common. Most of time I don't get any replies. But, sometimes I do and it's rather exciting to send messages back and forward until you run out of things to say.

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Can't you bargain them down from phone to IM, then maybe try phone after you know them better?

In a moment of daring insanity a few years ago, I actually put a profile on that site. I'm always honest and upfront with those sorts of things, and included a photo like it suggested, so I got 0 messages. Next time I'll be more vague.
Yeah i could do that i rather IM them first for awhile before talking to them on the phone...

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
get a phonecard and call the guys ur interested in from a payphone, u'll be hard to trace that way. If u call from ur phone even if you have something that masks ur phone number guys who know something about computers can still trace u.
watch out for married guys, men just looking for sex, money, or both and unstable people......seems like i never met anyone desireable through the net, the ones who weren't any of the above generally i wasn't attracted to and they weren't attracted to me...
i used plentyoffish for awhile, never met anyone from there or talked to anyone on the phone but i always got responses from really stalker types, BDSM guys, guys in their fifties, or married men
If i call someone on there that i like i will block my number out *67... intill i'm comfortable of giving my number,thanks for the advice,yeah i've been getting the to old types...

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just tried it cause i want a guy to talk too who's nice and have a good head on his shoulders...share common interest,who's not to old or to young but in between... that's not out to play games, or want just sex.

· Stan the Man
6,577 Posts
You mean PlentyofFreaks? A lot of stuck-up, rude women on there. If you're not interested, couldn't you at least be polite and respond to my message? And why do some women just "disappear" all of a sudden?

I did manage to date one woman who was a few years older than me, off of there. She turned out to be a headcase though. I guess I just need to "man up" and find a date the more traditional way.

· Registered
297 Posts
Im a member of that site, I only met one guy off their. He was a total loser. But its a good site to meet people, but I hardly dont respond to people all that much.

I did meet another guy that actually went to my High school 10 years ago. He contacted me, we are coresponding in emails. I havent met him yet, but hopefully I will get to meet him eventually.

· Pervy Ranger #8
774 Posts
I could barely access the website, let alone my profile /: I hear it's a problem a lot of people have. Have they changed the structure of the site since last year?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.