Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Mega awesome
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure I'm overly sensitive. Like one time I was talking to this guy I wasn't attracted to and he said that I didn't have many friends on facebook and he thought I was fake and I got pretty mad saying maybe I only add people I know and so what if you don't. I dunno, it upset me and made me feel like I was even more of a loser.

I just don't know how to not take everything so personal and not care what they say. I keep thinking over and over what they said and get even more upset. I also tend to cry when someone is yelling at me or when I'm angry and yelling. Just wondering if anyone else is too sensitive and even over emotional.

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
Yes I am an extremely sensitive person, genetically I must get it from my mom. Anything could set her off and make her cry. My mom gets emotional if you point out something she's done wrong.

For example, My cousin was getting married, she wanted a very small very intimate wedding few friends, her mom, dad, the grooms friends and his parents and my grandmother since her grandmother had passed away a few years before (Her grandmother was actually my grandmothers sister) long story short.

My mom heard about the wedding and asked if she could come, my cousin told her she'd see what she could do since she had already put together a list of the people who were going to come.

My grandma then said that she didn't think it was going to work because she didn't think their was a dress my mom could fit into, later on my cousin called to say that she's feeling awful because she knows my mom really wants to come but she only has the space for my grandma.

Well my mom cried and cried saying nobody wants her to come and why isn't she allowed to go. It wasn't a family affair nobody except my grandma was invited nobody else in our family was invited to the wedding save for the brides parents, there was also finding a dress etc;

Anyways sorry to ramble on (of course that's my specialty of the day :D) but yes I'm sensitive myself, I feel hurt and upset when people yell at me, say harsh things to me.

Yes walked in those shoes. I'm not the guy who's going to harden up I'm the guy who will think about something someone said to me over and over and over until I either feel like crying or I feel emotionally drained.

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
yes ever since i was a kid i still get a little teary eyes when someone is lecturing me....:um
Your not alone that kind of response happened to me all the time as a Kid.

Person: Nobody was laughing at you, you need to stop being so sensitive, you need to stop stop, mommy's chunky child, baby, yes good if they laugh at you you deserve it, Do you see Josh crying, your baby yes sucking mommy's titties (this was the lecture from my grandma or my aunt, my aunt is one of those people who isn't all touchy feely lovely dovey with her emotions, she'll mock you if your crying, she's the polar opposite of my mom.)

Me: Sniff Sniff, Why does everybody hate me, why are you taking their side (Cry) omg your against me everybody is always taking his side or their side. How come no one ever teases Josh how come everyone is always teasing me Cry sniff

·
Hi!
462 Posts
Yeah I get that too occasionally. It's related to depression in my case. There were times when I wasn't. Everything was easier then. Mostly those 'snaps' are backed up by emotions or insecurities. When those are solved, the sensitivity goes away too.

Of course I can't speak for everyone here, but that's how it is for me.

·
Retired Bingo Cook
11,401 Posts
yes ever since i was a kid i still get a little teary eyes when someone is lecturing me....:um
Me too, I can't stand it when people yell and scream at me. I also makes me feel like crap.

·
Banned
2,524 Posts
No. I am the complete opposite. Years of systematic emotional abuse from family and peers at school growing up has hardened me. I still get upset sometimes but it really doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yep, I find it hard to brush off anything anyone says about me not matter how insignificant the person is who said it, or what they said.
The worse for me is talking to my lecturers about my work. Though it is really personal because it's about my skills and creativity. I just feel I need to have an excuse ready for anything that's said. Actually most of what I say is a reason why this isn't so good and that didn't go well, I just stay defensive whilst putting myself and my work down before they can.
Then there's the being extremely sensitive to other peoples moods. That's just as bad.

·
Mega awesome
5,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, I find it hard to brush off anything anyone says about me not matter how insignificant the person is who said it, or what they said.
The worse for me is talking to my lecturers about my work. Though it is really personal because it's about my skills and creativity. I just feel I need to have an excuse ready for anything that's said. Actually most of what I say is a reason why this isn't so good and that didn't go well, I just stay defensive whilst putting myself and my work down before they can.
Then there's the being extremely sensitive to other peoples moods. That's just as bad.
Yes I do that. When someone is angry/sad I'm angry/sad. When they're happy I'm happy.

·
absurdinista
3,011 Posts
yea, whenever i get into confrontations i just cry. it's awful because i want to say what is on my mind instead of breaking down like a child. it looks very unprofessional and makes people question your sanity. it's pretty ****in' embarrassing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Yes I do that. When someone is angry/sad I'm angry/sad. When they're happy I'm happy.
Is it like...if you're with someone whose pissed off you can't help but feel it's because of you. Or if someone's stressed you get stressed cos you're trying to figure out how to relieve theirs and feel helpless? That kinda thing.
I particularly hate being in a car with someone whose stressing out and getting road rage..no matter how hard I try can't help but feel they're shouting at me and it's all my fault the traffic lights just turned red or there's no parking spaces :s

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
Uh-huh... I remember the first time I got teary-eyed when I got lectured. Or asked to repeat myself. Or made a mistake.

Or even just listened to music at a concert. This really sucks.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think every sense and emotion I have is like amplified. I laugh at everything, but I also get sad about everything. Just being in a room with someone yelling makes my ears ring/hurt and I get scared if there's a situation that would potentially start some drama.

·
Banned
2,619 Posts
Uh-huh... I remember the first time I got teary-eyed when I got lectured. Or asked to repeat myself. Or made a mistake.

Or even just listened to music at a concert. This really sucks.
:( I've been in your shoes and it's good to finally know after all these years I'm not alone, I took an incident I had and used it to improve myself. I finally said that's it I'm not going to let this affect me anymore. I'm learning speech therapy. I'm learning how to speak more clearly, more confidently and it's progress. Yes I know exactly what you mean about being asked to repeat yourself and about mistakes.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I've always been very sensitive ever since I can remember. Whenever someone of authority lectured me that wasn't my parents, or someone offended me, or called me out on something/a mistake, my heart would sink like it would physically hurt. I think this is what made my SA develop too, being overly sensitive and the physical feeling that came along with it. It made me begin to inhibit myself more and more over time so that I could avoid the feeling

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
No doubt about this one. This is why I like to reject people before they do it to me. I know I can't handle it. Even the slightest rejection.

The boss jumping on me. He does it to others and they don't seem to get bent out of shape about it like I do. I walk back to my office furious, saying things like "you just can't win with this guy" (even said that to his face today), etc.

Criticism burns a hole in me. I hate it. I hate to lose. I'd rather never play than play and get beat. Can't handle defeat of any kind, yet I must handle boatloads of it on a daily basis.

This is why I can't even have people around. It's way too easy to offend me.

·
little earthling
78 Posts
I'm really sensitive (emotionally and physically). I've been working on my emotional sensitivity though. When I argue or yell, I want to cry so bad. I can't help it. It's more out of frustration. I feel like as soon as the tears flow, my argument will become invalid. Like, the other person won't take me seriously. I also take a lot of things personally and I want that to change too.

Also, why did that guy think you were fake? @[email protected]

1 - 20 of 89 Posts