Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been visiting quite a few blogs, discussion boards and websites to see the overall consensus regarding overcoming or just managing anxiety and or depression. From what I have gathered the majority of discussion seems to be toward living a life where it can be managed. This in of itself is very depressing. If a choice exists to manage or be free from a condition, wouldn't the majority choose freedom?

So what are some thoughts, techniques, or philosophies that can lead to freedom? What is something you would share, something you would say "listen, you need to try this. You will be amazed at how this works"? What have been some complete failures?

Of the success stories I have come across there is one thing is similar, and that is consistency. They showed the determination and will to stay the course and in the end it seems they are now sharing their testimony with others.

My thought is to get enough people to talk and focus on what works, share success stories, and in the end live a life free of depression or anxiety.

Be well,
KG

·
Banned
901 Posts
Of the success stories I have come across there is one thing is similar, and that is consistency. They showed the determination and will to stay the course and in the end it seems they are now sharing their testimony with others.
You're right. From what I can gather, it's different for everyone. No proven path will lead you absolutely nowhere if you're determined enough, even though a complete cure will depend on the individual.

Any kind of self improvement (mental, physical or 'spiritual') is based on repetition and consistency. The people who would rather take a pill might have a really good band-aid of a 'cure', but it's not getting rid of the problem and they will always be slaves to that pill.

·
Registered
398 Posts
It depends, i get depressed on and off, so for me it's something that can only be managed because i'm very vunerable for depression, but for other people it can be cured, it really depends on the person and how resistent you are against it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
They can both be overcome with hard work and determination, some people will naturally have a harder time than others though and some are just wired a certain way that relapses and down periods are harder to fight out of.

Circumstance changes the outcomes a lot also, but if you think that it can only be managed rather than beaten then you have already lost the fight and given up

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hear you... I have been on and off with depression since I was 13 and am now 23. So far I have been managing it. however, psychologists and medication have been active roles in my life throughout the past 10 years and I feel it has given me tons of personal insight. Its not really a bad thing as they say you can't experience joy without pain. If you look at 99% of celebrities or leaders you will see that they all struggled more than the average person at some point earlier in their lives and it helped them get to where they are today. Life is all just a big learning experience. Take it one day at a time if you manage it correctly day by day you will overcome it...I'm no dr. but I gurantee it!:clap

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
You can definitely overcome it and I know because I'm overcoming it. :)

The thing is, I think it takes a long time because you have to deal with every situation differently and new situations occur all the time. For example, I worked really hard to overcome job interview anxiety and overcame it, but I decided to start making youtube videos last week and had a panic attack the first time I filmed. However, during the filming of my second video, I had a lot less anxiety, and I'm sure that when I make my 3rd video, I'll have practically no anxiety because I'm having positive experiences.

My point is, I believe that you can overcome the anxiety from a specific situation, and once you overcome the anxiety, the anxiety is forever gone, but new situations that cause anxiety will appear and you will have to overcome those too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
You can definitely overcome it and I know because I'm overcoming it. :)

The thing is, I think it takes a long time because you have to deal with every situation differently and new situations occur all the time. For example, I worked really hard to overcome job interview anxiety and overcame it, but I decided to start making youtube videos last week and had a panic attack the first time I filmed. However, during the filming of my second video, I had a lot less anxiety, and I'm sure that when I make my 3rd video, I'll have practically no anxiety because I'm having positive experiences.

My point is, I believe that you can overcome the anxiety from a specific situation, and once you overcome the anxiety, the anxiety is forever gone, but new situations that cause anxiety will appear and you will have to overcome those too.
Absolutely it is very hard indeed. It's like learning to become a person in a way I guess which obviously hard since pathways are already formed in your brain.

Congratulations on overcoming those anxieties. I'm also trying to overcome interview anxiety at the moment missed a couple of job opportunities because of it. Keep pushing yourself out of your comfort zone

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Absolutely it is very hard indeed. It's like learning to become a person in a way I guess which obviously hard since pathways are already formed in your brain.

Congratulations on overcoming those anxieties. I'm also trying to overcome interview anxiety at the moment missed a couple of job opportunities because of it. Keep pushing yourself out of your comfort zone
Exactly. It's like you have to unlearn all the bad things and learn new, positive ways to deal.

Thanks! I actually did overcome interview anxiety and if you have any questions, is be happy to answer! :)

·
Village idiot
1,051 Posts
It depends on the person and how severe it is. For me I will most likely never overcome it, though others with less severe cases might.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
It depends on the person and how severe it is. For me I will most likely never overcome it, though others with less severe cases might.
You're still so young! I'm sure you can overcome it if you try hard! :)

·
Village idiot
1,051 Posts
You're still so young! I'm sure you can overcome it if you try hard! :)
Thanks for your encouraging words. I'm still trying, it's sort of in my nature not to give up even in impossible odds. But I'm pretty sure I'll never properly overcome it. It's part of who I am, a component of my personality and a shade of my identity. My focus is on coping with it, managing it and coming to terms with it. Because of what I've been through and how I've developed as a person it's now become a lot more like a disability than a mere anxiety, not that I would use that exact phrasing or identify myself as disabled. But I'm not dwelling on it and accepting what I am, even if it's not ideal.

·
Registered
3,864 Posts
It depends on the person, everybody is different. If its genetic then its very likely that its not something you can overcome but can make it manageable.

Some people will get over it completely because they might not have had it that severe in the first place. I doubt i'll ever get over it, sometimes I think im more autistic than socially anxious, autism is a lifelong condition but I think even autism can be managed if diagnosed at an early age, I've never been diagnosed but I just know Im either autistic or severely retarded.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Thanks for your encouraging words. I'm still trying, it's sort of in my nature not to give up even in impossible odds. But I'm pretty sure I'll never properly overcome it. It's part of who I am, a component of my personality and a shade of my identity. My focus is on coping with it, managing it and coming to terms with it. Because of what I've been through and how I've developed as a person it's now become a lot more like a disability than a mere anxiety, not that I would use that exact phrasing or identify myself as disabled. But I'm not dwelling on it and accepting what I am, even if it's not ideal.
Right. I mean, SA has become a part of me too in the sense that now have a more "cutesy and shy" demeanor, but seriously, I went from being a person who was often crossing their arms, sitting alone in the corner, not being able to make eye contact, mouth quivering when I tried to talk to someone and getting full blown panic attacks, to a person who stands up straight with a small smile my on my face, and greets everyone I see at school. I am seriously a completely different person now than I was 3 years ago, and that's why I know that almost anyone can overcome social anxiety.

It's good that you're to cope and manage it, but don't sell yourself short. I'm sure you can even go above and beyond that! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
For the most part, depression and anxiety can both definitely be overcome. The dangerous thing is that it never feels like so when you are in that state of mind.

In my experience there will always be anxiety and depression, but the degree of them will vary greatly. When you get to a point where they don't hinder your quality of life anymore, you've practically overcome them.

In the end, it's an active process. If I'd start doing the things that I did back then, I'd become as depressed as I was.

By doing different things for different reasons I found out that my mental health started become different too - in a good way.

·
Happy little duck
460 Posts
Depression and anxiety can be reduced. Certain things can trigger you but it's good to have a support structure to rely on, things that give you worth.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Only managed, you can't overcome it. People can act like they overcame it but in reality all it is, they took some pills that will temporary fix them and then half a year later their back on here with full blown anxiety. That's just how life is.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think its about changing the way you think in conjunction with what you put into your body i.e. meds food, its about rerouting the brain so it thinks in a new and different way meds can change this but behavior is the thing that changes it most; meds mess with your head and chemistry im trying to go med free here soon and just work with my brain in a last ditch effort to change my behavior and thinking, but i feel its kind of related to just the way a person is, but it can be changed

1 - 20 of 20 Posts