Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been visiting quite a few blogs, discussion boards and websites to see the overall consensus regarding overcoming or just managing anxiety and or depression. From what I have gathered the majority of discussion seems to be toward living a life where it can be managed. This in of itself is very depressing. If a choice exists to manage or be free from a condition, wouldn't the majority choose freedom?

So what are some ways to reduce the physical effect of anxiety and or depression? Feelings such as you are about to have a stroke, heart palpitations, dizziness, inability to sleep, basically a slower way of being dead.

Go to the one thing that we need to live, the breath. Let's start here. When any of the symptoms strike take a moment, bring yourself to the present and start deep, diaphramic breathing. Allow the breath to only flow through the nostrils. Each inhalation should be slow, deliberate and deep to the point your belly expands like Buddha. Hold it there for just a few moments.

The exhalation should also be slow and deliberate, allowing all of the oxygen to leave the body, meaning toward the end of the exhalation suck in the stomach to make sure everything is gone. Repeat this cycle for a few minutes and then see how you are. Gauge how you feel and then continue with the breathing if necessary otherwise go ahead and continue what you were doing prior to the attack.

For best results try doing this type of breathing throughout the day. This type of breathing reduces any negative effect of the Autonomic nervous system which when over active results in the following.

Adrenal fatigue
Headaches
Impotency and erectile dysfunction
High blood pressure
Heart disease
Multiple chemical sensitivity
Food sensitivities
Chronic fatigue
Fibromyalgia
Depression
Anxiety
Hyperactivity
Alcoholism
Addiction
Compulsive overeating
Food addiction
Ulcers
Insomnia
Panic attacks
Heart arrhythmia
Gastrointestinal disorders
Bowel disorders like constipation and IBS
Bipolar
Manic depressive
Autism
MS
Obesity
Circulation disorders
Hyperactivity
Attention deficit
Violence and aggression
Overactive bladder
Gulf war syndrome
PTSD - Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Tachycardia
Alzheimer's
Parkinson's
Excessive sweating with an unknown cause
Worsening of any mental or medical health condition

Thanks for listening and look forward to hearing your feedback.

Be well,
KG

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey, I too have been exploring the world of self help. I see you mentioned Buddha, for about a year now I've been practising my meditation. It's a great way to calm the mind. I think Buddha's teachings as a whole, should be involved in every self help :yes I think once we find our inner peace, then maybe it's something we can be free of. Until then, we're stuck with it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes! Meditation is very powerful and key in my opinion for any self help strategy. How has meditation helped you specifically?

·
No longer good at posting
1,233 Posts
I've been having lots of stressful and panic attack moments lately. Thanks for pointing this out. I'm going to try it next time because I have no idea what else to do when I feel so terrible.

Fresh oxygen is really important. If you have a weak lung capacity it can effect you in more ways than you think and without even knowing. Some people may not be getting enough air which could depend on your build, health, and even state of mind. It is important to empty your lungs and I've learned this through exercise and training especially. If you don't empty them, you are less likely to fill your lungs 100% with new air for the next inhale. To me it's as if your lungs can't "profit" to replace the oxygen that your body is using up. Most people don't realize this because breathing is suppose to be involuntary for the most part. You can train your lungs to be more efficient just like you can train your heart to be.

Before I exercise, I take huge deep breaths and equally I exhale and push all the air out that I can before following up with another deep breath. It helps me to perform better and I'm sure it will help at least a little bit during a panic. Not to get too far off subject here, but oxygen is very underrated when it comes to our mental well being.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yes! Meditation is very powerful and key in my opinion for any self help strategy. How has meditation helped you specifically?
Absolutely agree :yes I feel my minds not as....busy as it was before I practised meditation. It also helps me in times of panic too. I still haven't been able to move forward with my s.a as such through meditation but I have moved forward in terms of my mentality towards my situation, this is who I am. (I'm not sure if that's a positive or a negative, but it feels like a weight has been lifted in some way, it's hard to describe) I'm hoping as time and practise goes on it will eradicate my anxieties. How about you?

·
No Love Lost
243 Posts
I have been visiting quite a few blogs, discussion boards and websites to see the overall consensus regarding overcoming or just managing anxiety and or depression. From what I have gathered the majority of discussion seems to be toward living a life where it can be managed. This in of itself is very depressing. If a choice exists to manage or be free from a condition, wouldn't the majority choose freedom?

KG
The way to overcome anxiety and depression is through management. That is the general consensus. And as these are both psychological states with physiological side effects, the best way to counterstrike is through consistent improvement in all areas of life. As such, the depressing part of the matter is that most people will search for one solution when the answer is many.

To achieve change, you need to have the agency to control your own behaviour. That is management.

source

In regards to tips; you can dissect your worries objectively through thought logging. Writing on paper - title the current worry - and list the things you can do about it, and the things you have no control over. Spend only a few minutes. Fold it up and keep it with you, but distract yourself. Read it over if the thought becomes provoking again. Writing on paper is a preliminary way of extracting a thought from your mind, i.e. journals.

Most importantly, do the things you can do about it. The key to confidence is through preparation.

·
Nowhere Man
823 Posts
My therapist tells me they can be managed. Automatic thoughts and irrational fears will always appear at some point in every person's lives. While most people can control them, those of us who suffer from anxiety can only hope to manage them and have a fairly normal life.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been through some issues with worry and anxiety which brought about hypertension. Just about all the literature and people I met talked of managing these conditions and you are right, that in itself can be depressing. The reality is, however, that some, if not most, can be eliminated. I should know. I used to be very shy, these days I hold workshops and what not. Elimination is possible, I am convinced.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts