Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I just wanted to ask you what things are you involved in? I always tell myself that I will join some club or organization next year but then chicken out. I did not join in high school and now this is my last (3rd) year in college on campus and I am not involved at all. I only work in an office and am part of an honor society but didn't even go to any meetings yet. I'm worried because I won't have anything to put on my resume. I just find it so hard to get over my fear. I'm thinking of working in a research lab for a semester but I'm too worried to email the person and will probably not do it. What do you guys fill your resume with?

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I'm in Eta Sigma Phi, which is a classics honors society. I'm even secretary of it.

I've waffled around in the Gay-Straight Alliance, and was in the College Democrats last year campaigning for Obama. But I haven't done anything with either in a while.

A lot of majors offer an honors society to people who do well in the subject. If you really like your major, you could try looking into it, seeing if your major offers one. Eta Sigma Phi is the only club that I've stayed actively involved in.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've contemplated joining some clubs & activities. I signed up for a hiking/trails club, but all events for the next month or two are already at max capacity.

The thing is... I made a sample schedule for myself using Google Calendar, and it appears that I will have very little free time. Besides going to classes, 2-3 hours of studying a day, and running/lifting in the morning, I also want to apply to work on the police auxiliary unit part-time. I need a source of income, since I plan to go to a lot of concerts during my time in college. :teeth

I guess anything apart from that (I was thinking of joining a hiking/outdoor club, forming band(s) with friends, and doing soccer intramurals) would have to be decided on a case-by-case basis.

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
I have the habit of going to one club meeting and then never going again. If you count those, I've done painting society, alternative relgions group, airsoft group, ballroom dancing, chess club, and maybe a few more I forgot. The painting one I've actually been regularly active in for the last two years. Also, I've had a couple campus jobs. I agree with wombat, even if I wanted to do clubs, I think I may be too busy this year for it to be realistic.

·
Banned
309 Posts
Hi! I just wanted to ask you what things are you involved in? I always tell myself that I will join some club or organization next year but then chicken out. I did not join in high school and now this is my last (3rd) year in college on campus and I am not involved at all. I only work in an office and am part of an honor society but didn't even go to any meetings yet. I'm worried because I won't have anything to put on my resume. I just find it so hard to get over my fear. I'm thinking of working in a research lab for a semester but I'm too worried to email the person and will probably not do it. What do you guys fill your resume with?
Ahh you are posting my life story^_~ I too am a junior and still haven't gotten involved in any academic clubs because of my shyness... I'm also worried about my resume as well.. :< The only thing I joined was a church group that volunteered at the local state school... It was helpful because I didn't have to attend an interview and I could quit anytime if things got to busy during the semester.:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I wanted to ask if anyone out there is working in a research lab (undergraduates)? I was seriously considering this but am too worried and probably will end up not doing it. It just seems like it is easier for other people to become involved and I can't seem to gather the courage to do anything. Also, this is technically my last year on campus since next year I will be taking classes at a hospital. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts