Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Voiceless
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I'm glad I found it, but here's my dilemma right now.

I'm a freshman at the University of Illinois, but I want to transfer back home next semester. My mom's friend's Daughter goes here. I met her about 2 months ago and I was super quiet, because I didn't know what to say around her and her friends. I didn't have much contact with her after that, but now when she sees me she is friendly and she just invited me to go to her floor (one above mine) and hangout. I get this feeling she is being nice to me, because my mom told her mom that I wasn't enjoying college at all and I wasn't meeting people. So, I got her number and she said they are going to be drinking. I have never drank before, nor do I have any desire to. So, should I go up there or not? I would feel very out of place, because I will be the only one not drinking. I don't want to go up there and be all awkward which is what will happen.

·
nothing
286 Posts
Go and don't drink. You will likely not be the only one not drinking. Just poor some pop or water into a plastic cup and drink that, no one knows what you are drinking.

Give yourself a chance to enjoy it. You might surprise yourself. And if you don't you can always leave, just smile and the girl and say, thanks for inviting me, but I have a lot of work to do. See you around!

·
Banned
3,564 Posts
I wish someone would invite me to hang out :no. I would say go for it, just say you don't drink, there's nothing wrong with that. Just try to be natural and be yourself. Even if you're quiet, just try to have a good time I guess :)

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and I'm glad I found it, but here's my dilemma right now.

I'm a freshman at the University of Illinois, but I want to transfer back home next semester. My mom's friend's Daughter goes here. I met her about 2 months ago and I was super quiet, because I didn't know what to say around her and her friends. I didn't have much contact with her after that, but now when she sees me she is friendly and she just invited me to go to her floor (one above mine) and hangout. I get this feeling she is being nice to me, because my mom told her mom that I wasn't enjoying college at all and I wasn't meeting people. So, I got her number and she said they are going to be drinking. I have never drank before, nor do I have any desire to. So, should I go up there or not? I would feel very out of place, because I will be the only one not drinking. I don't want to go up there and be all awkward which is what will happen.
Just go and hang out for a while. You never know, you might have fun :)

Turning down invites to hang out a lot usually results in people not offering anymore (at least in my experience), so I would just go so she wouldn't be hesitant to invite you again.

I also agree with the poster who said that you don't have to drink, you could just have water or soda. Best of luck!

·
Voiceless
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I texted her and she said they weren't doing anything yet. I told her to text me when they were. No text back :(

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
Did you ever end up hearing from her?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts