Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do you invest?

• Yes, I invest.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I don't invest but I will in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you answered yes, what do you invest in...stocks, bonds, mutual funds, real estate, retirement plans?

If you answered no...please explain.

I'd like to know what your experiences have been like. I'm not an investor but I'd like to purchase real estate within a couple of years and possibly invest in some type of a mutual fund. Oh, and a retirement plan.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
I could have been driving around in a brand new SUV with all of the money that my 401K has lost in the past 5 years..... :hide

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I said "yes" because I have one share of stock that I got because I took $5 a pay period and put it in the employee stock plan at my old job at a bank.

I'm also going to get a savings account as soon as I pay off my credit card debt - only $949 to go!

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Yes, I'm an investor. I have a degree in finance and investing is definitely one of my favorite subjects.

Virtually all of my money is in Vanguard mutual funds. I chose Vanguard because they are by far the lowest cost fund company around, and low costs are the most important factor in investing. I also like Vanguard for their wide selection of index funds -- I like indexing for its ultra-low costs and because it's clear that you're unlikely to beat the market with active management.

I've never owned any individual stocks and I never want to. I think trying to pick stocks is a pointless and very risky game. I hold stocks through mutual funds only.

At this point I can't really think of anything compelling to invest in. Stocks are still too expensive and bond yields are pathetic. I wish there was some asset cheap enough to get me excited.

If you're looking for a place to discuss investing take a look at http://www.diehards.org -- it's mainly focused on Vanguard, but just about every investment topic gets discussed. It's a great place to learn more and ask questions.

·
Old Fogie
419 Posts
I saved and invested for the whole 25 years that I worked full time. I'm currently living off the income from my investments. It's not a lot. But it's all I need. I also have a retirement account which I no longer make contributions to.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I have a retirement plan.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
I am not very knowledgeable in investing but paying off credit card debt, and maxing out your 401K contribution is advice that I have heard everywhere....14 percent (the maximum allowed) of my paycheck goes into my 401K plan, my company donates another 5% in matching funds, and I pay off my credit card bill in its entirety every month....Those are the first two steps that I would recommend for anyone thinking of investing....

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm going to start investing as soon as I rebuild my savings account. It is mostly gone right now, b/c I bought a condo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not very knowledgeable in investing but paying off credit card debt, and maxing out your 401K contribution is advice that I have heard everywhere....14 percent (the maximum allowed) of my paycheck goes into my 401K plan, my company donates another 5% in matching funds, and I pay off my credit card bill in its entirety every month....Those are the first two steps that I would recommend for anyone thinking of investing....
I don't owe any money in consumer debt, I prefer to use my debit card. I also recently paid off the outstanding balance on my student loan.

Contributing to an IRA is something I'd like to do a few years down the road.

Right now I'm interested in investing in a money market fund. I may invest in other mutual funds later on.

I bought a condo.
Congratulations.

·
Registered
68 Posts
WinterDave said:
Very smart strategy, Winterdave. :yes

I got some retirement and college funds set up. The market is awfully stagnant now. I've focused more on paying off debt, refinancing our mortgage, and buying autographed balls as a hobby and investment.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Diamond

I invest in stock.

I don't believe all the doom & gloom. There
are always good stock out there to invest in.

You can start with a modest amount, about $100.
and go thru a stock DRIP plan. This bypasses
brokers fees and allows you to make nonial
investments monthly. Most banks are paying
around 3 1/2 % now.

If, you want additional info let me know.

Take care.

Jim

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
READFIN said:
You can start with a modest amount, about $100.
and go thru a stock DRIP plan. This bypasses
brokers fees and allows you to make nonial
investments monthly.
DRIPs (Dividend ReInvestment Plans) are often a low cost way to invest (though some do have fees that make then not-so-economical).

I personally have never owned an individual stock and I never intend to. Individual stocks expose you to additional risk that the market does not compensate you for. The market isn't going to compensate you for risk that can be diversified away by owing large numbers of stocks, something which is very easy to do with mutual funds. (Of course, you still have market risk, which is substantial.)

Back when I was in college taking finance classes they lied to us and said that 12-15 stocks was adequate diversification. More recent studies I've read put the number at more like 200. I'd rather not have a couple hundred DRIPS, so I'll go with low cost index funds instead.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts
We have an excellent 401k at work that I use.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Dont worry bout this stuff yet : P

·
Registered
321 Posts
I don't invest and because i have no clue about investing

1 - 20 of 25 Posts