Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was visiting back east last week, an old (introverted) friend of mine recommended this book to me. I am hoping to pick up a copy at Barney Noble tomorrow. It looks very promising, from what I've read thus far (reviews) as a self-help book.

Star :sas

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have that book. It is very good. It helped me to understand that my being an introvert is just a trait and not a flaw. I learned a lot. Very good.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sadiedog said:
I have that book. It is very good. It helped me to understand that my being an introvert is just a trait and not a flaw. I learned a lot. Very good.
Good to know, Sadiedog! :thanks

Star :sas

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just bought the book! woo-hoo...I am excited to get started on it...

Star :boogie

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll be at home, but my husband, George, probably won't see me for a while. tee hee

star :hide busy reading.......

·
Registered
87 Posts
I just got this book in the mail after ordering it on the internet. I've just started to read it and already I'm suprised at some of the stuff I've learned. Like having your mind "blank out" during conversations or not being able to think of something to say but thinking of lots to say after a conversation is over--these are traits of introverts, whereas I thought that was a part of my SA. It's very interesting, I'm beginning to think that my SA is due to the fact that I've grown up in a very extroverted family and my extremely introverted personality was always looked at as wrong or bad by my family members. So because I thought there was something wrong with me socially, I quickly became anxious of social situations at an early age because I felt that it wasn't something I did well. I'm sure my parents enjoyed the "positive" aspects of an introverted child; above average intelligence, very creative, didn't give in to peer pressure, etc. However, they saw my lack of interest in socializing as a bad thing and so I eventually saw myself in that same light. Apparently 75% of the population is extroverted and only 25% are introverted, so I'm outnumbered bigtime. I'm beginning to think there's really nothing that horribly wrong with me at all, I'm just an extremely introverted individual living in an extremely extroverted world.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This sounds interesting. Daydreambeliever said something I've been thinking for a while. Being introverted isn't that big of a deal. What is a big deal is that we are a minority. Not only that, we're a weak minority. In our society, power often comes from who you know. We obviously have issues in that department.

I think it's biggest effect is in the workforce. Many positions could be made to be friendlier to sa people, but instead most jobs are set up to require a lot of interaction.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Carbon said:
This sounds interesting. Daydreambeliever said something I've been thinking for a while. Being introverted isn't that big of a deal. What is a big deal is that we are a minority. Not only that, we're a weak minority. In our society, power often comes from who you know. We obviously have issues in that department.

I think it's biggest effect is in the workforce. Many positions could be made to be friendlier to sa people, but instead most jobs are set up to require a lot of interaction.
My boss told me the other day that I need to be more outgoing and "bulls***" with my employees (I'm a lead). I can communicate fine (or well enough, anyway) as far as giving directions on what needs to be done, but I can't "chit-chat". I just don't know what to say.

I feel like I can't tell my boss that though or I'd risk future promotions. The funny thing is, I believe I'm on the cusp of becoming a supervisor!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts