Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard from a friend and my psychologist (of whom I haven't seen in awhile) that you could be introverted yet still be socially accepted. They tell me by doing this, I can be somewhat quiet, but able analyze the situation and say the right things. I've noticed the actions of many of these introverts and tried to mimic them, but it's difficult to do without coming off as shy or messing it up. Can anyone here pull off introversion or has a friend who can that can help me? For those who don't know what introversion is, it's basically the opposite of outgoing.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
I'm confused. You want to be outgoing without actually being outgoing?

I thiink the best advice is to open up to people and be yourself. There is nothing wrong with being shy. The only time shyness becomes a problem is when it interferes with having relationships with other people. If you accept yourself (shy or outgoing) and open up to people, you are bound to find someone else that will accept you as well.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Introversion just means you like to be alone but are okay with being around small groups of people. The opposite of this is not outgoing it is extroverted which means you don't like to be alone and like being around people. That sounds the same as outgoing but being outgoing requires action, while extroversion is just a feeling. Just because you want to do something doesn't mean you do, because you could be stopped by something, say...SA. If you're trying to act like someone who is introverted and who doesn't want to be around lots of people when you really do then I don't think that's good. You should be trying to be yourself.

·
Burnt-on cheese
1,005 Posts
I'm very introverted. We basically "recharge" or "unwind" from more solitary activities. Where many people might "unwind" at the end of the day by going out and socializing... man!! I enjoy those things sometimes, but social activities tire me out and then I need to make up the expended energy. I like spending time alone, spending a lot of time "in my head," or being with just one or a couple people (personally I find that the bigger the group, the harder it is to really engage with anyone!). Personally, at the end of the day I usually look forward to going home and reading, etc.

Im really bad at explaining it especially this time of night. I rcommend the books "The Introvert Advantage" or "Introvert Power" to anyone.

·
Registered
643 Posts
One thing I can tell you about being introverted. Is that when you do speak up people seem to usually listen. They seem more likely to dismiss someone who yaps all the time. When you speak they're like holy **** this must be important. That's probably one good thing about introversion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts