Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I'm a 19 year old female who didn't know I had a bit of social anxiety until a few months ago.

Personality wise I say I have not changed much though for some reason I find myself anxious around people I don't know and when I'm in a crowded area if there isn't someone I know beside me or if I don't have my mp3 I get unexceptionably anxious. A year ago this wouldn't be that much of a problem but I'm at a part of my life where what I want to do involves me going up to other people and convincing them I'm good at what I do and just the thought of that scares the crap out of me.

Even now, I'm writing this instead of walking down the street to get a few groceries because I know there will be people on the sidewalk that will look at me as I pass. I've been mentally preparing myself for two hours.

Well, this introduction came out a little more depressing than I meant it to be, I'm sorry but I really hope that talking to people will help me get over this unnecessary anxiety. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello thatgirl255 welcome to this site. You sound like a nice person, when you get confidence ditch the mp3, smile and say hello to people around you. This does not solve all your anxiety but you will feel better.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Welcome, ThatGirl255! :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey thatgirl255 welcome. :hyper

·
Brooklynprof
17 Posts
at times I've had a hard time confronting people on the street. it's very uncomfortable.
have you ever seen a therapist?
antidepressants can also sometimes help with that.
sorry if this is not new or interesting news.
my sympathy and all best.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome to :sas. You are not the only one. I have trouble taking walks outside myself, but sometimes I try not to think about it much, but just do it, of course this doesn't change anything, I'm still anxious as can be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts