Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have an interview in a month for a doctorate school(where I will be working in the health industry).

My main problem is talking to new people. When I use to work with patients, I had no problem talking to them b/c I was confident and knew what I was doing, but when I had to get close to them I would turn bright red. Or talking to my boss, like telling him I need time off, I turn bright red, my legs start shaking and sometimes I would even cry or get tears in my eyes like I am about to cry.

And I know, I will have these same symptoms. Especially since I know they will ask very personal questions, and I usually get emotional telling people I don't know about myself.

I also get anxious going out, and have the same symptoms public speaking( and I will have to talk to a small group of people during interview). And I am just an anxious person in general. I currently take medicine for and have a lot of stomach issues b/c of it.

Is there any book, you all could recommend? I don't know where to start.

I have about a month, and I don't expect to overcome all of this in a month but I do want to get started on help.

Please help! book or cds, or anything you found useful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
i work in healthcare too. i find it difficult working w patients and comunicating w other echo techs, nurces, doctors, family members etc. alll levels of people. all you have to do is be nice and know what your doing & it goes a long way even though its hard. ive had to face my fear of interviews. you dont have to know yourself so dont cry or freak out about that. write comment questions on a flash card and read them over and over and over again like your an actor.
tell me about yourself:
they DONT mean personally, they mean professionally. they dont give a **** about your real life yet they wana know if you can do what they need you to, you say: I went to ___ highschool. i was always very into math and science. i love problem solving. i always looked up to the school nurce, she was so compassionate and seemed to know how to fix anybody. I got really good grades, i was driven to do so because i know how important education is. (talk abt college experience if you have it if you were in honors and leadrship society. talk about how ur good w patients)

Whats your strengths:
im driven, a good problem solver, empathetic (tailor your answer to the postion your applying for, heathcare you need to be good under pressure, compassionate, and KNOW your stuff. say ur very interested in how the body works it fascinates you)

whats your weaknesses:
DONT talk about your weknesses lol, turn it into a positive whatever you do (dont use the common im a perfectionist bc everyone says that, you have SA so say "i tend to be shy at first but i see that as a good thing because im not so outspoken that ill say anything that makes anyone uncomfortable."

why are you interested to go to school here/work here:
DO YOUR RESEARCH i lovee ____, ____, & ____ about this school/hospital. i feel like you cant get that from other places and ill fit in really good here"

i have a little manual called a job hunting handbook, it gives 50 common questions youll be asked during a interview and how to answer them, also how to dress and carry yourself etc. google it to see if you can buy it. or google interview tips or youtube interview tips and im sure theres a skit or a billion videos.

be the best version of yourself, if you cant then pretend your an actor that has the highest confidence in the world. whatever you do dont cry. practice in the mirror, practice w your mom or a friend. give them questions to ask you and answer them. good luckk!!

& the day of if you have to take some Imodium and gas-x so u dont get bubble guts lol

·
Registered
802 Posts
Look up some books. Have you gone to therapy? Try to get a therapist and get treatment. Maybe try to medication. Also for the next month do some exposure therapy. Go out to public places like the park and grocery store and try to talk to people.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I pretty much good at figuring out the answer to these questions. Like how you said what is our weakness? So far is that I am shy however working in the healthcare related fields I have, I have been able to overcome my shyness and is something I am still working on.

And which is true, however even with practice I just know I get so scared. I turn bright red, and get teary eyed. I hate it and was looking for a book on how to better cope with these symptoms.

So far I ordered online the shyness and social anxiety workbook. And from what I read it sounds like what I need.

Thank you for your input

1 - 5 of 5 Posts