Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any interviewing tips for the shy folk? I have an interview thursday for a management training program at a bank. :afr I haven't been on a "real" interview in a long time. So any tips are appreciated, no negativity though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Practice Practice Practice = Performance

What kinda interview is it? Type of job? What is your previous experience? Education? Skills? (Share only if ya want)

I just finished a very nerve wracking interview today...I was able to knock it out because I prepared myself by anticipating the type of questions they might ask, and what type of response they would want.
:blah :blah :blah
I didn't get the exact questions...but by having practiced short responses to *possible* questions, I was still able to adapt swifty to the actual questions by using some key phrases, ideas or attitudes....

Shoot....I practiced soo much I'm sure I almost sounded eloquent in some responses... almost...;-)

When you enter the interview remember to act like you deserve this job, exude self-confidence, show them you epitomize the type of employee they need.
Ohh...and last but not least....take a bunch of breath mints to get the alcohol off your breath! :drunk
j/k...I did try to inject some humor...it seemed to be well received, and helped to lower my tension level.

Goodluck fe27! Hope you get the job! Let us know how you do!

(I will be gone for a couple weeks, but I'm ANXIOUS to hear about it when I get back!)

AnxiousAirman

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Re: Practice Practice Practice = Performance

AnxiousAirman said:
I prepared myself by anticipating the type of questions they might ask, and what type of response they would want.
:blah :blah :blah
I didn't get the exact questions...but by having practiced short responses to *possible* questions, I was still able to adapt swifty to the actual questions by using some key phrases, ideas or attitudes....
:agree 110% with that. I've had the same exact experience.

·
Registered
779 Posts
The only tip I can think of right now, is to go to as many interviews as possible, even if it means applying at places you have no interest in working at. Even if after a dozen interviews you are still just as anxious you will have a knowledge of the typical questions that will be asked. Which will make it easier to come up with answers.

Also, ask for feedback about how the interviewer felt about the interview, especially if you didn't get the job and you thought you should. It might be painful to hear negative feedback, but sometimes they will have nothing but positive things to say about you, and they just hired someone else because they were more qualified/the boss' son etc.

I agree with what AnxiousAirman said about confidence, but if you're like me and cannot express confidence or enthusiasm, just go to as many interviews as possible and you just might get lucky :stu

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most bosses hate interviews as bad as you do. They have guidelines and laws they have to follow and all you have to do is answer questions and smile.
Also, I used to try to plan answers to questions they may ask, and work myself into a panic attack, but I never use them in the interview, so don't bother.
Just remember that they are human too, and want YOU to be the one...so they can get back to their normal activities!

Note: if you are lucky enough to be interviewed in the office of the interviewer, rather than a neutral office, you have multiple opportunities to break the ice AS you take your seat which will set the tone of the interview. Pictures of children if he has any, degrees from colleges you may have attended or even a ficus tree in the corner(if your into botany:)... something you relate to. "What a precious little girl, how old is she?" Then you can sit back and let him brag for a moment while you catch your breath and make simple conversation. But you have set a tone of friendly conversation, rather than Q and A.
I hope that may help. Good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice! The interview went well, but I didn't get the job b/c I owe on some stupid credit cards. You can't work for that specific bank if you have some credit flaws. Anyway, I have another interview for a Survey Processor monday. I have no idea what that is, but I'll take it lol. I sick of sitting home all day. I find myself slipping back into depression due to my boredom.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
You did great, though FE27 :boogie :boogie :boogie!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.