Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister is really passionate, extremely opinionated and often judgmental. Even if she seemingly has my interests at heart when she is talking to me about something I find the way she expresses herself to be intimidating and I feel defensive. Even if she has a good point I don't really seem to see it and just become really anxious and feel bad in one or another. It often gets to the point where I don't want to be around my sister.

I also feel anxious when people rapidly jump from one topic to another while giving forceful and opinionated comments (which how my sisters and parents seem to communicate)

I was wondering whether anyone else feels anxious around intense/opinionated people???

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Definitely my Dad and Brothers are this way... I can relate. I like quiet, peaceful conversations that are polite and calm - over coffee preferably.

·
:No Worries:
182 Posts
Same here, I like open minded calm conversations. I really get uncomfortable when people go over board trying to convince you of their opinions. I think people without SA most likely get anxious and annoyed as well. No one likes to be talked to that way.

·
Full circle, new highway
365 Posts
When I show my anger I get really intense looks in my eyes and am very forceful in direct to response to the stress I am feeling at an emotional level. I think that I still have this look when I go outdoors as it is mostly a safety measure to keep others a way. Most people steer clear when they see me marching through a store, but I have found that I have been getting more relaxed as I go out in public to where I look almost sedated but I still have a subtle intensity about me.

·
Lost
275 Posts
Same here, I like open minded calm conversations. I really get uncomfortable when people go over board trying to convince you of their opinions. I think people without SA most likely get anxious and annoyed as well. No one likes to be talked to that way.
I agree with this. It frustrates me when people try to force their opinions on me when I clearly don't agree. I get all anxious about what they think of my opinions and will most likely end up agreeing with them in the end. Which in itself is ridiculous. :blank

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
my dad and brother are thick skinned (how i use to be..sigh). they intimidate people and people respect them. so yeah, since i have SA when they talk to me i feel intimidated.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like people like that. Much more interesting than apathy. Apart from the judgmental bit. And provided they are willing to actually listen to other people as well.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I was wondering whether anyone else feels anxious around intense/opinionated people???
I like them as long as their intense opinions agree with my own.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Yeah, i've actually lost a couple of potential friendships because of this feeling of being intimidated by these qualities in people.

Sometimes i feel like there is a 'dance' for socially adept people to follow and it often involves some strange kind of 'face off' where extremely deep and eloquent thoughts are expressed in a clear and concise manner. A friend of mine used to interact with his brother this way and it really kind of bothered me that i knew i would never cope if placed in such a situation. I have been once and my anxiety levels boiled over and i suffered from a panic attack, needless to say, i havn't spoken to either him or his brother since. hmph

You can't put too much pressure on yourself to meet the standards involved in these types of situations, especially if it's your own emotional well-being at stake. from my own experience, the best thing is to just go with your gut instinct. I mean, you either feel you belong in the situation (if it's friends) or you're not feeling comfortable and you need to get out of it. But if it's your family you're talking about, you'd likely be better off keeping out of this type of interaction in order to prevent yourself from feeling overly inadequate and/or depressed. But family members often have the capacity to be more understanding and accepting than others within the social circle so that's definately a plus..

I agree though, it's certainly tough to deal with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts