Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
no longer here
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I should be worried about this or not; but I nearly always feel an intense desire to help/save someone in need. Like whenever I see a homeless man or someone crying on the street it is almost impossible to carry on walking without helping them in some way. It's almost as if it's the result of years of repressed insecurity to show self-worth or something, and it's interfering quite a lot in my life recently. Does anyone else get this?
Reading that back to myself makes it look like I'm bragging, which makes me feel really bad because this isn't my intention - but does anyone else experience these feelings?
I'm worried that I may appear obnoxious or fake to others when this happens to me as well...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I'm like obsessed by it at the moment... Causing me to be insanely depressed. I feel extreme guilt about enjoying things or being happy when there is suffering in the world. It is almost eating me alive.

·
Greenmail
4,205 Posts
Id say, provoke it. One time, walk by a homeless man and not give anything. If you cant not do it and you go crazy from not doing it. check out OCD.

Also stop reading what you have posted so much.

·
Positivity Revolutionary
110 Posts
I have this, that's why I decided to start building a future dedicated to helping others. There are plenty of ways you can help others, just look for them :D
Who cares what anybody says? We have the right to help anyone within reason.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I don't know if I should be worried about this or not; but I nearly always feel an intense desire to help/save someone in need. Like whenever I see a homeless man or someone crying on the street it is almost impossible to carry on walking without helping them in some way. It's almost as if it's the result of years of repressed insecurity to show self-worth or something, and it's interfering quite a lot in my life recently. Does anyone else get this?
Reading that back to myself makes it look like I'm bragging, which makes me feel really bad because this isn't my intention - but does anyone else experience these feelings?
I'm worried that I may appear obnoxious or fake to others when this happens to me as well...
co-dependence?

·
Registered
20 Posts
i wish there was more people out there that cared enough to help someone whos hurting. def not a bad thing but if its interfering with how u function (if you get too depressed and cant carry on with your day after) you should get it looked into

JUST guna add (you prolly already know this),but never give someone homeless money (living on the streets for a longgg time type of homeless). what i do is i buy them a slice of pizza or get the a chicken sandwich from mcdonalds or buy them a blanket & try to help them by talking to them and motivating them. you dont want to support their alcohol or drug addiction, most times that wont help them in the long run (except alcohol in the winter to keep warm and stuff). tell them theres things they could do, go to a shelter, get a job anywhere even mcdonalds, start saving up and once they get a job theyll qualify for some assistance, tell them not to give up cuz when life pushes u flat on ur face you can still get up and start again and things can always get better if you try hard enoughh

·
Banned
60 Posts
I have this problem. It often gets me into trouble. I can't watch someone who is going without (even if I am going without?) . At times, I'm known to intervene on things that can get me into lots of trouble :c

·
Registered
18 Posts
I deal with the same issue. Helping people is a good thing. Both for those we help and ourselves. I encourage those who feel inclined to help, to do so.

However, when our empathy begins to interfere with our lives or dominate our thoughts it can drain precious energy which we need to help ourselves.

One of the previous posts referred to OCD, I do have it and believe it contributes to excessive empathy.

I know I can't help everyone and there are things that are simply out of my control, yet I spend far too much time worrying about others such as family members.

I think its important to remember we must help ourselves first. This is not selfish, if we are not well than we can't be of service to others.

·
Lookin' for the sky...
251 Posts
I have this also. In my nightmares I die trying to save people. Someone once told me that's how I was going to die, saving someones life. :afr

·
Cut Above
1,827 Posts
I don't live in a community where there are many people not looking crazy/mad/offended or whatever so I only experienced this when I was younger, I would always stop to try and comfort kids crying in school but they wouldn't talk to me, so it made me feel really bad....

Today it only happens when something reminds me that children are suffering around the world, I kind if bite my lip in anger that I can't do anything about it.

·
inactive
4,029 Posts
Insecurity-related-grandiose-delusions.

·
no longer here
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have this, that's why I decided to start building a future dedicated to helping others. There are plenty of ways you can help others, just look for them :D
Who cares what anybody says? We have the right to help anyone within reason.
This sounds really appealing - thank you. I'm just wondering what jobs there could be; I mean, I've always wanted to work for charity, would that count? I really want to not care what other people say, but I just can't for some reason...

JUST guna add (you prolly already know this),but never give someone homeless money (living on the streets for a longgg time type of homeless). what i do is i buy them a slice of pizza or get the a chicken sandwich from mcdonalds or buy them a blanket & try to help them by talking to them and motivating them. you dont want to support their alcohol or drug addiction, most times that wont help them in the long run (except alcohol in the winter to keep warm and stuff). tell them theres things they could do, go to a shelter, get a job anywhere even mcdonalds, start saving up and once they get a job theyll qualify for some assistance, tell them not to give up cuz when life pushes u flat on ur face you can still get up and start again and things can always get better if you try hard enoughh
Does taking them to a cafe for lunch count? I did this a week or two ago for a homeless man and he said he'd remember me until he died - not sure if that's a good or bad thing though...

I am the same way. Almost as if I care too much. :(
Exactly - it feels like a condition, for me it's like a constant tumour at the back of your head telling you to do good or otherwise it will get bigger...

Maybe one day there will be a world that help is available to all.
I really hope so, one day.

I have this problem. It often gets me into trouble. I can't watch someone who is going without (even if I am going without?) . At times, I'm known to intervene on things that can get me into lots of trouble :c
Same here - I seem to find quite a bit of trouble when trying to help people...

I deal with the same issue. Helping people is a good thing. Both for those we help and ourselves. I encourage those who feel inclined to help, to do so.

However, when our empathy begins to interfere with our lives or dominate our thoughts it can drain precious energy which we need to help ourselves.

One of the previous posts referred to OCD, I do have it and believe it contributes to excessive empathy.

I know I can't help everyone and there are things that are simply out of my control, yet I spend far too much time worrying about others such as family members.

I think its important to remember we must help ourselves first. This is not selfish, if we are not well than we can't be of service to others.
Thank you for the advice - I might try and find out whether or not I have OCD; I have a history of depression as well as social anxiety, and more recently my therapist told me I might have bipolar, so I don't quite know what to think exactly...

I don't live in a community where there are many people not looking crazy/mad/offended or whatever so I only experienced this when I was younger, I would always stop to try and comfort kids crying in school but they wouldn't talk to me, so it made me feel really bad....

Today it only happens when something reminds me that children are suffering around the world, I kind if bite my lip in anger that I can't do anything about it.
I'm sorry to hear that, Odinn, there's nothing worse than people turning their back on you when you're trying to help them.

Insecurity-related-grandiose-delusions.
Yeah - that's probably a good way of putting it for me, because it's ultimately related to insecurity...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ode, I know this is a bit off topic but I was diagnosed with SA an battled depression for 15 years seeing docs regularly, finally a new therapist diagnosed my ocd just recently, I'm don't know you and I'm not a doctor but they do miss some things...I recommend you google the term "gifted" as well in addition to it being a flattering term it also refers to folks who exhibit extreme empathy.

·
no longer here
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ode, I know this is a bit off topic but I was diagnosed with SA an battled depression for 15 years seeing docs regularly, finally a new therapist diagnosed my ocd just recently, I'm don't know you and I'm not a doctor but they do miss some things...I recommend you google the term "gifted" as well in addition to it being a flattering term it also refers to folks who exhibit extreme empathy.
Thank you for suggesting this, I'm honoured that you suggested that term; although i don't think I'm gifted...
I might ask my therapist in my next meeting with them about OCD; you're right, though, certain things can often go unnoticed...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts