Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here feel a rush of regret when you do something that's probably not really that big of a deal? For example, I'll probably regret posting this...especially if no one replies haha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi.

I used to, and at times still do but to a much lesser extent. It just got to be too exhausting worrying all the time about other people and their perceptions. So I think I went in the opposite direction and learned to become less interested in what people thought and more interested in what I thought. Its hard though when what others think impacts what you think of yourself.

I used to sit in a restaurant and feel like if I had a panic attack it would upset other people and how horrible would that be. Then I thought, with all the crazy things people do to other people in the world, having a panic attack in the midst of other people who may have had one at one point in their life seemed small in comparison.

I think it's a matter of keeping things in perspective. I still do really hate making big mistakes however. I ruined a big project at work this week by not saving my work and am beating myself up over it because the consequences are greater.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.

I used to, and at times still do but to a much lesser extent. It just got to be too exhausting worrying all the time about other people and their perceptions. So I think I went in the opposite direction and learned to become less interested in what people thought and more interested in what I thought. Its hard though when what others think impacts what you think of yourself.

I used to sit in a restaurant and feel like if I had a panic attack it would upset other people and how horrible would that be. Then I thought, with all the crazy things people do to other people in the world, having a panic attack in the midst of other people who may have had one at one point in their life seemed small in comparison.

I think it's a matter of keeping things in perspective. I still do really hate making big mistakes however. I ruined a big project at work this week by not saving my work and am beating myself up over it because the consequences are greater.
Ya I can definitely agree with that. Everyone's perceptions are different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ya I can definitely agree with that. Everyone's perceptions are different.
Yah, and their perceptions change often. So being in favor one day isn't really a guarantee. My ex bf's sister used to find fault with everything I said and call me out on it each time. I'd often regret stating my opinions while she was around since her annoying tendency made me feel embarassed for what I had said.

Eventually I got angry at the situation and how it had seemed to have a control over me, so I told her off one day. She backed down right away. I didn't regret it either. If she liked me less or liked me more before or after my breaking point was irrelevant, what was relevant was that I didn't like her much.

It's harder though around people you do like and whose perceptions you do care about.

·
Banned
728 Posts
I think its because i fear outcomes of situations. I fear and regret things that if i am unsure if what i did/didn't do was the "right choice".

The ironic thing is that even with all the focus, i have probably made ALL the wrong decisions so far. By avoiding people, and saying no to opportunities in the past, i have sabotaged myself.

·
Banned
648 Posts
ye I get feeling of regret after something happens, but usually don't realise it wasnt a big deal until few day later when I think bout it.
Above post: ye that is ironic

·
Registered
58 Posts
Definitely some of the time.
And I know what you mean even with the posting. Here, where all our "weird" quirks are accepted, I feel awkward like no one sees or cares about what I'm posting. So I usually get really uncomfortable and regret saying whatever I said...and try to determine whether or not to delete the post. I know it's absolutely ridiculous, but that's the way it is.
:par

·
1,137 Posts
Yes, this is a big problem for me. I always say and do things and think, "Wait, why did I just say/do that!? I'm so stupid and worthless, I hate myself." Even when I say/do things that aren't really that bad. :sigh

·
1,137 Posts
Definitely some of the time.
And I know what you mean even with the posting. Here, where all our "weird" quirks are accepted, I feel awkward like no one sees or cares about what I'm posting. So I usually get really uncomfortable and regret saying whatever I said...and try to determine whether or not to delete the post. I know it's absolutely ridiculous, but that's the way it is.
:par
If it helps, I see and care about what you posted. :)

But yeah, I feel the same way when I post, and now I'm probable going to regret this and my previous post too, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts