Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem. I have had a huge problem getting to sleep since my early teens. The pattern usually is that every night I would lie down to bed and spend at least 2-4 hours waiting to fall asleep. Sometimes its worse (occasional all-nighters) and sometimes better (but rare). I have taken sleeping medication for about two years now. I started out with 10 mg of Ambien which worked like a charm for about a year. I was then switched to Lunesta because, at the time I was drinking a lot and Ambien caused blackouts (thats another story, but I've been 100% sober for over a year and a half now). Lunesta also worked just as well. After four months of Lunesta, my psychiatrist prescribed Rozerum which also worked well. I started work about 6 months ago and I my thoughts went wild with anxiety and I didn't sleep for two days straight. I then got back on Ambien. Ambien continued to work until a month ago. I've been having to increase the dose to 20 mg. Even that doesn't always work. Is there anyone else on here that have had a similar problem? Is there a stronger sleeping pill like Zyrem that would be feasible? One thing that has worked but I'm not sure if the p-doc will go for is is 10 mg of cyclobenzaprine along with my ambien. This sucks but I've had this problem for as long as
i can remember and I can't see myself sleeping without help from medication. I'd appreciate any suggestions. BTW, I have had trouble sleeping when I wasn't anxious at all. My mind sometimes just doesn't know how to turn itself off after 10pm. I wish it would turn on more during working hours, damn it! Bottom line, I have to sleep. Whatever it takes short of killing me. I can't work if I don't sleep. I need my rest to counter all the effort I put out dealing with co-workers and angry customers. And for an SA guy, that is much more challenging than a "normal" person.

·
Registered
290 Posts
you might try asking your doc about clonazapam, I think that's the one I took that helped my sleep, none of the others I tried did.

Nowadays i sleep better, and I just take a small amount of this melatonin supplement which helps:
http://www.forresthealth.com/store/search.php?mode=search&page=1

But my sense is you need something stronger right now.

Good luck with it.

You might try also googling sleep problems, bc I found alot of info. online that was helpful too, like foods that help you feel drowsy (ex. clonazapam and a glass of warm milk might help you), and sleep habits, and other info. that can help too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am on clonazepam 20 mg before bedtime as well as 6 mg of melatonin and 20 mg of ambien. I also take 20 mg of propranalol (beta-blocker which slows my heart rate), and 20 mg of baclofen (muscle-relaxer but it was originally prescribed for my alcoholism and doesn't do much of the muscle relaxing). As far as supplements go: Magnesium (600 mg), Trytophan (? mg), and GABA (? mg). All of this is taken before bed. This formula works 75% of the time but there is usually that one night out of the week, for no reason in particular, that my mind starts to wonder like crazy. Remember, its not always anxious thoughts. It could be thoughts of how the Dallas Cowboys or the Texas Rangers are doing and what moves they should make. Or, something funny that happened the other day, etc. It is friggin annoying, and I have tried so many tricks to shut it off (concentrating on one thing, breathing exercises, hot bath, warm milk, not watching tv two hours before bed, reading, etc., etc., etc. And I know I am not bipolar, so don't even start. Mood stabilizers I have tried: seroquel, lithium, geodon, lamictal all have not worked in this respect. I've read about xyrem, which is GHB in prescription form. This might be the only route. I need something that will knock my *** out.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
If 20mg of Klonopin isn't helping you fall asleep, you're pretty much out of luck (unless you can manage to get a script for Seconal).

Edit: Apparently Butisol (a CIII barb) is also prescribed for insomnia. You might actually have a chance of getting a Rx for it since it's not CII.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I used to have the same problem with falling asleep but yeah theres alot you can try for example - Trazodone, Mirtazapine, Clonazepam, Temazepam, Doxylamine etc. Not all at once obviously, but yeah there are quite a few options.

·
ThirdEyeGrind
1,284 Posts
If I wasn't on a benzo, I wouldn't risk getting dependent on one. Ask your doc. about Seroquel if you can. It knocks me out every night, and no hangover or anything like that in the morning.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Seroquel worked well for me- it's the only thing I was able to take long-term that I didn't build up a tolerance to right away. Only thing is it can have some pretty bad side effects if you're prone to them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dont take benzos at all for sleep thats the worst its like drinking alcohol but taking it in a pill it works on the same receptors as alcohol, the withdrawl is horrible it will make ur insomnia worse it will give you the worst anxiety.Try melatonin you can buy it at the health store, i have really bad insomnia and that knocks me out over the klonopin

·
Staying positive
754 Posts
I would recommend trazadone, remeron, or seroquel. Most of the time these meds make me so drowsy, I'm too tired to even think. You are taking a huge amount of GABAergic meds. 20 mg of Clonazepam and 20mg of ambien plus a GABA supplement? Unless the magnesium somehow keeps you from experiencing tolerance, which I read about in some other thread, you must have developed a huge amount of tolerance to these meds.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I am on clonazepam 20 mg before bedtime as well as 6 mg of melatonin and 20 mg of ambien. I also take 20 mg of propranalol (beta-blocker which slows my heart rate), and 20 mg of baclofen (muscle-relaxer but it was originally prescribed for my alcoholism and doesn't do much of the muscle relaxing). As far as supplements go: Magnesium (600 mg), Trytophan (? mg), and GABA (? mg). All of this is taken before bed. This formula works 75% of the time but there is usually that one night out of the week, for no reason in particular, that my mind starts to wonder like crazy. Remember, its not always anxious thoughts. It could be thoughts of how the Dallas Cowboys or the Texas Rangers are doing and what moves they should make. Or, something funny that happened the other day, etc. It is friggin annoying, and I have tried so many tricks to shut it off (concentrating on one thing, breathing exercises, hot bath, warm milk, not watching tv two hours before bed, reading, etc., etc., etc. And I know I am not bipolar, so don't even start. Mood stabilizers I have tried: seroquel, lithium, geodon, lamictal all have not worked in this respect. I've read about xyrem, which is GHB in prescription form. This might be the only route. I need something that will knock my *** out.
You are an ex-alcoholic and have been prescribed 20mg! clonazepam / day (which equals 10 x 2mg Klonopin)?!? The Ambien 20mg as a longterm medication is also questionable, especially for a person with a history of alcohol abuse. 20mg Propranolol = ok. The Baclofen as an anti-craving agent vs. alcoholism must be taken 3 times daily because of it's short half-life, eg. 10mg 1-1-1 = 30mg. You can forget about Xyrem, because: 1) You will never ever get a prescription for it for insomnia and 2) in combination with your 20mg? Clonazepam it would most likely kill you at sleep inducing doses.

I think the best idea at first would be taking a higher baclofen dose in those few nights when you can't sleep. Of course you have to talk with your doctor about that first. Other options would include Trazodone...

If you are really taking such huge amounts of benzos, you should think about safely withdrawing from them with the help of professionals.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Clonazepam at night is a bad idea for insomnia, due to its effects persisting for several days after 1 single dose (long half-life) which means next-day cognitive impairment and sedation. Any benzo/nonbenzodiazepine is really not a very sustainable insomnia treatment (despite any claims about being non-dependency-forming), melatonin/agomelatine would be better. GHB causes a rebound effect 1-2 hours after dosing, so is definitely not ideal for insomnia (you have to dose several times in 1 night for it to keep you asleep).

Maybe a beta-blocker with melatonin would shut off any excess adrenaline and simultaneously put you into "sleep mode". Trazodone, mirtazapine, OTC antihistamines are more options.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Maybe a beta-blocker with melatonin would shut off any excess adrenaline and simultaneously put you into "sleep mode".
He already takes that:
I am on clonazepam 20 mg before bedtime as well as 6 mg of melatonin and 20 mg of ambien. I also take 20 mg of propranalol...

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
hmm I don't know about these medications but Soma and Halcion get good ratings?
Adding Soma (Carisoprodol) whose active metabolite is Meprobamate to a drug cocktail that includes a very high benzodiazepine dose and a Z-drug does not sound like a very good / safe idea. And giving even more benzos like Halcion (Triazolam) will not make things better in the long term.

·
nardil user since 2006
339 Posts
im in the same boat except my insomnia is caused by nardil. i just recently lowered my dosage from 75mg to 60mg. what works for now is 40mg of ambien, and 150mg of trazodone. gonna go visit my pdoc tomorrow and see what i could substitute ambien for since i read it works on teh same receptors as benzos, and its habit forming. i tried melatonin in my sleep cocktail, most being only 1mg of it. i tried benadryl in the past 2 pills, bout a couple weeks ago and that made me drowsy and sleepy. it was something i didn't intend on so i didn't try going to sleep. also i know ppl on MAOI's shouldn't take benadryl.

·
Registered
26 Posts
20 mg of clonazepam a day!! wow that's a heavy dose,seems like you're dealing with high tolerance.You be better off lookin at something else with your doc

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Me too. :sigh

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Geez, I know its been a long time replying to this message but I take 2 mgs of clonazapam not 20. Sorry for the mistake.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Geez, I know its been a long time replying to this message but I take 2 mgs of clonazapam not 20. Sorry for the mistake.
lol, we thought you had a very serious benzo problem. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts