Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
hhmm ...
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are some effective medications that can be purchased without prescription ?
I have tried a lot of different ones, none of them worked.
I'm unable to fall asleep. I have been having insomnia for over a year now.

Please help !

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
What are some effective medications that can be purchased without prescription ?
I have tried a lot of different ones, none of them worked.
I'm unable to fall asleep. I have been having insomnia for over a year now.

Please help !
Some ant-hystamines can help sometimes chlorphenamine maleate is what I use, but doesnt work for everyone.
Never exceed the amount stated on the packet though, as too many will be the opposite and affect the nervous system

·
Registered
48 Posts
i had insomnia during highschool and honestly only thing that helped was having hard alcohol alongside my dinner. i know its ****ed up advice but it did help me.

otherwise i can suggest meds like sleep md, and more natural methods like chamomile tea, and laying back in bed alongside some relaxation or hypnosis recordings or music.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
Some ant-hystamines can help sometimes chlorphenamine maleate is what I use, but doesnt work for everyone.
Never exceed the amount stated on the packet though, as too many will be the opposite and affect the nervous system
do you know if clorphenamine is safe taken along with a snri antidepressant? If I'm not mistaken clorphenamine is a snri too.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
OTC:

Melatonin (check with your pharmacist or doc before taking it, while on a SSRI though, gave me a bit of anxiety next morning-I'm on lexapro, would suggest starting at a small dose anyways)

Benadryl(start with one one pill to see if that helps)

Tylenol Simply Sleep

Chelated Magnesium (usually has to be ordered online, stores mostly only have cheap "magnesium oxide")

·
hhmm ...
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OTC:

Melatonin (check with your pharmacist or doc before taking it, while on a SSRI though, gave me a bit of anxiety next morning-I'm on lexapro, would suggest starting at a small dose anyways)

Benadryl(start with one one pill to see if that helps)

Tylenol Simply Sleep

Chelated Magnesium (usually has to be ordered online, stores mostly only have cheap "magnesium oxide")
I have ttried the first 3, none of them worked

·
Registered
1,015 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Kratom will work, although it can be addicting and potent like other sleep meds.

Another would be melatonin which is underated and can be added to a regiment of sleep meds.

Lastly things like kava kava or valerian or even certain b vitamins can help. Avoid all stimulants before bed, and exercise 6 hours before bed heavily. Dont eat right before bed.

avoid benzos and ambien at all costs. Clonidine and hydroxazine are good for once a week use.

·
hhmm ...
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kratom will work, although it can be addicting and potent like other sleep meds.

Another would be melatonin which is underated and can be added to a regiment of sleep meds.

Lastly things like kava kava or valerian or even certain b vitamins can help. Avoid all stimulants before bed, and exercise 6 hours before bed heavily. Dont eat right before bed.

avoid benzos and ambien at all costs. Clonidine and hydroxazine are good for once a week use.
I have never took any anti depressant medications.
I have tried melatonin (by itself) for a coupld of weeks, it didn't work, I have tried badryl for like 3 weeks didn't work either, and a bunch of other sleep aid pills. I don't want to go to a doctor for medication, they usually prescribe addictive ones. I have took various vitamin pills as well, nothing, absolutely nothing worked.
I'm thinking to use combination of pills, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be a good idea.
Thanks for advice

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Valerian root is probably the strongest thing you can commonly get otc for sleep. Get actual individual valerian root because mixes with valerian root contain maybe 1/4th of what the individual pills do and you can take 2 of those. I do 800-900mg a night. Melatonin can help but for serious insomnia the suggested dose is pathetic. Melatonin has been tested long term up to 45mg and short term up to 75mg so the little 3-5mg doses on the supplement bottles are nothing. I use about 30mg a night and another 10-15mg if I don't fall asleep in a few hours because the effectiveness of the melatonin is only about 60-80mins before I no longer feel it.

Now for prescription tricyclics are probably the best thing to try first for constant use. Benzos and the zdrugs (ambien, lunesta...) will not work very well for very long if taken every night. There is also trazodone and mirtazapine which are basic antidepressants and not hard to get. Mirtazapine will screw up your head at first but if other things fail it's worth sticking it out cause that goes away in a few days and it makes a good sleep aid for at least months. I've actually been taking it a year but I can't tell you if it's still working since I take 4 other prescription meds for insomnia plus the otc stuff. I need to run some experiments again and see what exactly is still working and what I need to trade out but that requires at least a week per med where I have nothing I have to get done in case it screws everything up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.