Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well hey, I'm Josh, 17. I'm not entirely sure why I am here to be honest but it seems like I've tried everything else and nothing has worked. I have severe problems with social anxiety to the point where life seems to be pointless nowadays. Endless mood swings from existential disappointment to contentment. I'm currently on a break from sixth form so I've just been trying to find out who I am I guess (originally I was going to keep this short and sweet but I kind of got carried away I guess, apologies).

I'm not really close with anybody at all so I'm just left with the feeling of utter loneliness, I have nobody and I guess over time I've grown to place barriers between myself and other people to protect myself from being hurt. So yeah, I have a few friends (of which I could count on one hand), none of whom I could ever talk to as me. I feel like I just wear masks to attempt to fit in with society on a daily basis. I could never let my friends see me as anything but a funny, positive guy who never lets anything get him down, but on the inside I'm in tears. I've tried talking with my family but they don't understand whatsoever what I'm going through, they prefer to insult me for my faults (I can't blame them, I hate myself more than anybody). So yeah, I don't know what I'm expecting by posting this. Just to share my tale I guess. I just don't want to be alone like I have been for the past years of my life :/

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, Joshed! :)

All it takes is a hello to start...or even a smile. You don't have to go into paragraphs.

We have to make ourselves apporachable and to do that, we need ot become comfortable with ourselves and the way we think - separating the scary thoughts from the constructive ones.

·
Registered
135 Posts
It's so great that you are reaching out Joshed and it sounds like you are in the right place. Lots of great info and support here so I think you'll be glad you did.

We are taught to feel the things you describe (hate yourself, show only the positive side), so the really good news is we can and do unlearn them.

Kizzie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any tips on how too? I've tried seemingly everything. I've learnt how to disguise it pretty well. People that know me probably wouldn't guess. I'm just alone most of the time because I worry that I'm going to mess something up and lose the people I have already. Hence why I can't tell them what I feel.

·
Registered
135 Posts
What have you tired so far?

There are three threads you might want to have a read through - "Medications", "Coping with Anxiety" and "Therapy" to get some idea of what others have tried -- from strategies and tips to medications and therapy.

There's also a "Teens" thread I think which may be useful as at your age there are some extra physiological/hormonal factors layed on top of the SAD which may exacerbate your symptoms.

I got pretty good at disguising my SAD too but like you I wanted to do something about it rather than keep on being alone, disguising my real self and avoiding social situations. It's great that you're here, it means you're ready to move forward (at whatever pace is comfortable for you of course).

Reading and posting here is a great start and if you haven't spoken with your physician, that would be a good next step.

Kizzie

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Meditation, cognitive therapy audio files, just plain forgetting about the whole ordeal. I haven't tried medication, mainly because my family isn't that supportive, and are actually quite insulting whenever I discuss my social anxiety issue. So hence I have no confidence to even tell a doctor. Some days it just doesn't bother me, then there are others when I feel so incredibly low that I try to find some way of dealing with it. I just haven't found anything as of yet that works.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So sorry to hear your physician isn't supportive Joshed. Would you need your parents permission to see another doctor? Are you able to talk to your parents about this or are they part of why you have SAD?

I have moved quite often over the years (my husband is military) and I can say without hesitation having changed physicians so many times because we move that there are some great doctors out there and some not so great ones. If you can go see a different doctor I would. If you can't see another doctor, are there any resources at your school such as a guidance counsellor? Sorry, I don't know much about the medical or school systems in the UK so I'm just fishing here.

Until you can get some face to face support and guidance, I would suggest you keep reading and posting here in the forum. I found very quickly that I no longer felt so alone or different and that in and of itself is a BIG step toward recovery. Maybe start with how you think you developed SAD and go from there.

Kizzie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts