Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm afraid to sleep because i saw a roach in my room a few hours ago. because it's summer, bugs keep getting into our house. i'm going to sleep with my light and two lamps on to keep the bugs from bothering me, but it'll be difficult to sleep with the lights on. do any of you guys have insectophobia too? how do you handle it? this is seriously affecting my life. just thinking about there being a roach in my room, i'm about to cry.

·
Banned
192 Posts
The roach isn't going to do anything to you. Just squash it when you see it. Honestly, how do you think it is going to hurt you? Insects are more afraid of you than you are of them. I actually try and let them out the house humanely whenever I can, especially spiders. I just can't bring myself to killing a spider for some reason. I rather let them live lol. Bugs are animals like us just trying to survive.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The roach isn't going to do anything to you. Just squash it when you see it. Honestly, how do you think it is going to hurt you? Insects are more afraid of you than you are of them. I actually try and let them out the house humanely whenever I can, especially spiders. I just can't bring myself to killing a spider for some reason. I rather let them live lol. Bugs are animals like us just trying to survive.
/sigh.

i figured since we all have a pretty silly phobia here, people would be a bit more understanding. guess not.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
thats not insectophobia, thats just being scared of "juckie stuff" for females. plus a roach can sense humans with their tentacles. they try their best to avoid humans. they know that getting close to humans = death. they actually have more to fear then you do. a roach is not going to squash you.

·
Banned
192 Posts
I can kill most bugs with some tissue paper (crickets, spiders). But I find roaches really creepy for some reason. Maybe it's in out DNA? I don't know if anyone has these where they live, but I also really hate these giant flying black beetles that always seem to bump around objects and people. They make this buzzing sound as they get close, and they always keep me on edge when I'm relaxing in my backyard. I've recently begun swatting them with sticks cause they're so slow -- I think it's morally okay, cause their bites hurt. They are almost like flying cockroaches in a way. So... I guess what I'm saying is, just feel lucky cockroaches can't fly? :afr
Some cockroaches can fly..

·
Banned
1,198 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Mine is restricted to arachnophobia, but I can sort of relate. Where I live, summer means an abundance of wolf spiders, which are 2-3" in diameter. I've been finding them in my room and bathroom almost daily lately, and my heart skips a few beats when they first catch my eye. It takes soaking them with half a bottle of Raid before I can bear to pick them up and flush them, lol. Every morning lately I'll wake up and scope out the entire floor of my room before I dare step out of bed. The few times in my life a large spider has been on me, my reaction has been anything but subtle, even in public. Not sure there's much we can do to control these kind of phobias, though. I completely understand that most spiders are harmless, but it makes no difference.

·
Banned
192 Posts
you're missing the point. i know they're not going to hurt me. i have an irrational fear of insects. and i'm not just girly and afraid of "yucky stuff."
Jesus... I never implied that you are "girly" and "afraid of yucky stuff". Somehow you managed to twist, in your own head, what I said as meaning that. Sure your fear is irrational. That is why I have a rational explanation so as to give you a better understanding that there is no need to fear the insects..

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine is restricted to arachnophobia, but I can sort of relate. Where I live, summer means an abundance of wolf spiders, which are 2-3" in diameter. I've been finding them in my room and bathroom almost daily lately, and my heart skips a few beats when they first catch my eye. It takes soaking them with half a bottle of Raid before I can bear to pick them up and flush them, lol. Every morning lately I'll wake up and scope out the entire floor of my room before I dare step out of bed. The few times in my life a large spider has been on me, my reaction has been anything but subtle, even in public. Not sure there's much we can do to control these kind of phobias, though. I completely understand that most spiders are harmless, but it makes no difference.
that's better than me xD i'm not sure i've ever in my life picked up a dead insect to throw it away. i can't. i wake my mom up at 2am to kill them for me. sometimes i sleep in the living room if i see a moth in my room...

and to unusual condition, the "yucky stuff" comment was directed at the poster who said i was being girly. sorry, i know it sounded like i was saying it to you. i know your explanation is rational, but it doesn't help me at all.

i really just started this thread hoping someone who has the same problem would have a suggestion for how i can get to sleep. : /

·
1,137 Posts
I'm sorry you have to deal with that. :(

I'm afraid of bugs too. We get centipedes in our house, and I'm terrified of them. Sometimes I also have trouble sleeping if I see a centipede in my room and can't kill it. Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions to help you get to sleep, but I do understand how you feel.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
phobia occur doe to past experiences IMO. just being scared of something is not a phobia. one phobia that i have is dogs. but that's because when i was a little kid i got: chased by dogs while riding my bike (almost knocked down by them), surrounded by dogs while going to the store at night, had a dog 2 feet in front of me for like 30 minutes that came out of a house back yard while i was walking to school - every time i would move it would want to bite me.

one should be scared of mosquitos or fleas cus they bite, but a roach will not do anything.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
phobia occur doe to past experiences IMO. just being scared of something is not a phobia. one phobia that i have is dogs. but that's because when i was a little kid i got: chased by dogs while riding my bike (almost knocked down by them), surrounded by dogs while going to the store at night, had a dog 2 feet in front of me for like 30 minutes that came out of a house back yard while walking to school - every time i would move it would want to bite me.

one should be scared of mosquitos or fleas cus they bite, but a roach will not do anything.
my phobia is due to past experiences.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
ok i guess i can't grasp why someone would be afraid of house hold common insects. whats so scary about them?

one way to get rid of them for good is to tell your dad to fix every crack/gap in the house big enough for an insect to get in. put insect powder poison under the kitchen counter, bath cabinets..etc to kill the ones already inside. that should get rid of them for good. if not, don't leave food in your room, thats what they are looking for. they mostly hang out in the kitchen not in bed rooms.

·
Banned
192 Posts
ok i guess i can't grasp why someone would be afraid of house hold common insects. whats so scary about them?

one way to get rid of them for good is to tell your dad to fix every crack/gap in the house big enough for an insect to get in. put insect powder poison under the kitchen counter, bath cabinets..etc to kill the ones already inside. that should get rid of them for good. if not, don't leave food in your room, thats what they are looking for. they mostly hang out in the kitchen not in bed rooms.
I think some girl was afraid of pickles on the Maury Show.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
the maury show is full of actors.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts