Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good lord. Kylie Minogue?
Well, I mean, she recently underwent treatment for breast cancer.
Why would you be insanely jealous of her?
Who cares if your boyfriend fancies her?
Would you want to be her?
She probably feels like she's living with a death sentence hanging over her head.
Even though it's in remission now, it could come back. It probably will come back, eventually. She probably can't have kids now, because breast cancer drugs suppress estrogen and put women into premature menopause.

Whenever you start feeling "insanely jealous" of her, just remember these things and think about how fortunate you are compared to her. How fortunate you are to be cancer-free.
I'm sure she'd trade places with you, if she could.

It sounds harsh, but you must keep things in perspective.

·
immortal in the making
820 Posts
i'm not with her any more (finshed 2 and a half years ago, and not because of this), but my last proper girlfriend couldnt understand why i always got jealous of blokes she spoke about. for example ian watkins (the singer from lostprophets) she would often go on about how "fit" he is, and then couldnt understand why i was so reluctant to go to a concert to see them one year. it's really quite hard to WANT to go and see a band when all you can imagine is your girlfriend imagining things you really dont want to think about her doing with anyone but yourself. even if she says she doesnt, blah blah blah. and then there was the comparison she made between me and christian bale. she lent me equilibrium so i could see what she meant. i never did watch it. or at least, not until who knows how many months later, when it was on tv.
anyway, moral of the story, i know exactly what you mean, but i have no usefull advice for you, i'm affraid :( sorry. all i can say, is that i hope you dont stop listening to your favorite music, see films you actually wouldnt mind seeing (batman begins got ruined and went on my "do not see" list when i saw christian bales face on the trailer (oh, how upsetting it was when she got THAT excited when she realised..)) and worry about every single person in your partners life, just as i did :hug
tell him to shut up. lol. you are more important to him than they are, and if he's not going to boost your ego, then it'll only make things harder for you. i very nearly had a full on break down after a while. and actually think that my relationship with her had a lot to do with my current situation. not that i blame HER, just what happened..
wow.. i do go on sometimes.
all the best!!
:squeeze

ps i dont fancy kylie at all. i honestly dont see what the fuss is about her. lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the advice... but it's not that I actually want to be her and it was in no way meant to be offensive about her breast cancer but it's more to do with me knowing I have these irrational thoughts of him fancying unattainable idealized women that I know I cannot possibly compare to
Oh, no, I didn't think you meant to be offensive about her cancer; you probably weren't even thinking about it.
I am just pointing out that she is not just an image but a real person with very serious problems of her own, and so it doesn't make much sense to be jealous of her. She's probably far worse off than you, in all actuality (unless you also suffer from a potentially life-threatening illness).
When comparing yourself to her, factor that in.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I used to be like that, but I'm over it now.

When I was 16 and insecure, I was insanely jealous of my then boyfriend. If he said as much as "she's pretty" I would hate the girl in question, and be furious with him. He was almost as jealous as me, so I didn't feel much of a need to "fix" my jealousy.

My next serious bf couldn't be more different. He wasn't jealous himself, and he didn't expect me to be. At that time in my life, I'd moved on a lot - I'd had my heart broken, lost everything and survived; I had applied to University and been accepted, and I was much more confident and serene. Somehow, I just didn't need to be jealous any more. I think it was a combination of being more secure and independent, and being close to someone who wasn't jealous - if he didn't need to be jealous, I didn't need to be either.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Ok so this might sound very irrational but I get jealous of the fact that my boyfriend fancies Kylie Minogue, if he makes comments about her (which is very rarely as he never usually talks about other women) I get very sensitive about it.
In college, I had this girl friend and we were in a friends dorm room watching one of the Batman movies, and she said Val Kilmer was sexy, and I got totally angry, although I was trying hard not to show it.

I knew it was silly of me to feel that way but I couldnt help it, and I got up and went back to my room. She came back and asked me if I was mad that she said Val KIlmer was hot, and I admitted that I was. She apologized and said she'd try not to do that in the future.

I said she didn't need to apologize, but she said she didn't like making me feel bad.

not many girls would have done that.She was a good one - i shouldn't have let her get away!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I understand how you feel. My boyfriend has a thing for Megan Fox, she is his computer screen saver and he has pictures of her on his phone etc. I can't help but feel completely and utterly inadequate. It's like if she is his idea of attractive I must repulse him. I know it's not logical. I have celebrity crushes but I don't compare my boyfriend to them or find him repulsive just because David Beckham is incredibly hot. I realize that this stems from my own insecurities and my hatred for my body, but even realizing it doesn't make it go away.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
You sound like my girlfriend. :lol

I don't really have much to add to the discussion, since I'm not a jealous guy, but let me tell you, it is very important that y'all work this issue out. My lady's jealousy wasn't a big deal to begin with, but after more than a year, it's starting to drive me insane. I don't know how long you guys have been together, but eventually, even if it doesn't seem like a big deal now, it will come around and bite you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.