Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Box of Rain
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The biggest problem I have with my SA is the complete lack of ability to start conversations with people. I will only talk to them if they talk to me first. I can tell that some of my acquaintances will stop trying to talk to me after a while because they get annoyed with my lack of talking. I know it makes me seem rude among other things. How can I overcome this? What are some good ways to start conversations?

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Maybe start small like a greeting until you get used to addressing people. Then, move on to a greeting and a question related to the situation you're in. For instance, if it's a cashier you can say hello, and then ask the person how their day is going or ask if it's pretty busy today as examples.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am the Queen of small talk. Ask a lot of questions and you'll find that most people will lead the conversation. There are a lot of people out there that enjoy talking about their life. Once they start talking, you'll find more questions you can ask and eventually you'll feel more comfortable adding some input in. :p

·
Registered
558 Posts
I am the Queen of small talk. Ask a lot of questions and you'll find that most people will lead the conversation. There are a lot of people out there that enjoy talking about their life. Once they start talking, you'll find more questions you can ask and eventually you'll feel more comfortable adding some input in. :p
Yeah. Ask them about their kids. It's a gold mine. :p

There are books on making conversation. Seemed kind of silly to me at first, but I bought some, and they helped me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts