Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Potato
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow haven't posted in here for awhile, so this is a good thing..

Last night I got some good advice. "Just be dorky, they won't care."

Anyway, lunch breaks for me were usually stand there silent, emotionless, pretend to be listening to everyone else talk and smoke. Well tonight's lunch break there were 4 of us standing out there in the cold, and it was silent. And I hate the silence. Before I would just wait for someone else to talk, but last night I finally talked.

"Aren't we supposed to be talking around the water cooler or something? Anyone have any juicy gossip?" Was my line to break the silence. Everyone seemed relieved that somebody said something and they laughed, didn't say much. So then I said, "So what's going on with Big Brother? We all know you two are obsessed" (pointed to my manager and support manager) A laugh again, and then the conversation started on tv shows. And then at some point I even said, "Come on, it's pretty sad if I'M talking the most". It's been a running joke at my job that I'm so quiet and shy blah blah, so I decided to poke fun at myself and they laughed at that too.

So that was the first break. Lunch came around, and that sucked because someone else was out with us and she talks constantly, and she usually talks to one person, and everyone else is silent, so nobody really wants to talk over her. That came and went.

Last break, it's the 4 of us again, and it's silent once again. So I looked down at our ashtray which is a coffee can, and to break the silence I said, "Somebody should start a fire in there". Because it was cold, and we could all stand around the burning 'trashcan' in the middle of the night. That started up a little convo sort of. I said "(name) looks the part" because the guy was wearing a toque, and looked homeless because of that, so that became a joke and everyone was laughing at his toque. After that, silence again. So I said, "I bet from over there (points off in the distance) we look like a bunch of teenagers" Got another laugh. So at the store there's this big anniversary sale, so I said, "Or we're waiting for the sale to start" More laughs, answers like, "Yeah come here everynight, looking for deals" Hahaha.

When I was telling that last joke, I was doing that thing where you're laughing at your own joke (It was 5am, I was easily amused) but I wasn't all self-conscious about it like usually, because they didn't care, they all started cracking up too :)

I think I feel more comfortable talking to a group that is a quiet, because then I feel like there's nothing wrong with me, and they're the ones with the SA. If I talk to a talkative group, they don't really care what I say, steal the convo and go off topic with whatever they want to say.

The group tonight, I was the most talkative one and everyone was actually laughing at my jokes :)

I also noticed at one point me and another started talking at the same time, and she made me go ahead, probably because I do rarely talk, so it must be good if I do..

Sorry for the long post, but it was cool that I did that, and I'm happy to be posting it here :)

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
darkangel said:
I think I feel more comfortable talking to a group that is a quiet, because then I feel like there's nothing wrong with me, and they're the ones with the SA. If I talk to a talkative group, they don't really care what I say, steal the convo and go off topic with whatever they want to say.
I DEFINITELY agree. It's so easy to become the "dominant personality," or at least, the dominant voice in a quiet group.

xoxo
Maggi

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.