Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another thread, but I think it warrants its own thread. What effect does it have to get an infraction that never expires? Does that mean that it always counts toward the three-infractions-a-month-and-you're-banned, even if it's more than a month old? If you get three non-expiring infractions, does that get you permabanned?

I couldn't find anything about it in the FAQ.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
The software says never, but we keep it to a

30-day-span.

If you get three infractions within a 30 day period from the FIRST INFRACTION, you get a ban determined usually by severity of offense. The first ban is usually ONE WEEK, with the durations lengthening for each ban that occurs thereafter.

Warnings do NOT count toward a ban.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Thanks for the clarification. Then I only have one infraction, since the other "NEVER" one from April expired more than 3 months ago.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Ah, I see... This is the only forum I've ever received a warning on... and seeing as I've been an outspoken member on quite a few forums, some up to 8 years and have never received a warning, I have little experience with such things... Heh, so that's good to know!

·
hangin' loose...
38 Posts
most of us are adults here...and, the reason i don't post anything is cuz i don't wanna get an infraction, etc. i think it's ridiculous to ban someone for stating an opinion or feeling. SA folks might be afraid to, actually, say what they really need to say!

i know that i am extremely hesitant to, freely, write what i am thinking or feeling at any time. so, i don't even chat that much, or post... it's most irritating to me...but i'm an older adult, and i feel that i can be in charge of my words--a third party monitoring me is counter-productive!

and what is even more irritating is that one probably cannot even respond or defend oneself against an infraction. now, if the problem is caused by younger people who are not able to be appropriate with their words, then that is an entirely different issue--and, i suppose that, at times, rules are there for a good reason.

basically, it kinda sucks that i have to be afraid to say what i might need to say. i may need to express a feeling that will help me tremendously, and there should be NO FEAR-

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts
If you rececive a PM with the title "You have received an infraction at Social Anxiety Forum" from a Moderator then it counts towards a ban. If you get one with the title "You have received a warning at Social Anxiety Forum" then it does not.

If one keeps their posts within the guidelines then there is no reason for infractions or warnings to be given. Infractions have been reversed in the past so one can respond to them. Most of them however, are cut and dried. i.e name calling, intolerance of a group of people, etc.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
So the only reason that it says "Never" instead of "30 Days" is because of software limitations? When we see the word "Never" we should read it as "30 Days?"

It would be kind of cool if once the thirty days were up, they would disappear from our User CP. It kind of makes me feel like crap to see them still there...

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
If one keeps their posts within the guidelines then there is no reason for infractions or warnings to be given. Infractions have been reversed in the past so one can respond to them. Most of them however, are cut and dried. i.e name calling, intolerance of a group of people, etc.
exactly, and it seems that in some cases infractions and locking threads aren't even based on anything that is going against the guidelines, which i'm sure is why flinty says she is afraid to post if it's never certain whether an infraction will be given out even though users may try their best to stay within the guidelines.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts

30-day-span.

If you get three infractions within a 30 day period from the FIRST INFRACTION, you get a ban determined usually by severity of offense. The first ban is usually ONE WEEK, with the durations lengthening for each ban that occurs thereafter.

after the first ban of one week, if you get any infractions soon after that is it immediately a perma ban? or one month ban? i sometimes notice members get perma bans pretty quickly, so i'm guessing it depends a lot on the severity of the infractions ?

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts
after the first ban of one week, if you get any infractions soon after that is it immediately a perma ban? or one month ban? i sometimes notice members get perma bans pretty quickly, so i'm guessing it depends a lot on the severity of the infractions ?
That depends on their actions. Normally it would be a second temporary ban but sometimes it is permanent due to their reactions.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I am still not clear?

I have one that is from April 18,2009 for "conflicts" (which I still dont agree with but that is neither here nor there) that says 0 for points and expires: Never. So what does that mean? That this can be used against me at some point or not?

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I am still not clear?

I have one that is from April 18,2009 for "conflicts" (which I still dont agree with but that is neither here nor there) that says 0 for points and expires: Never. So what does that mean? That this can be used against me at some point or not?
As of May 18, 2009, no. If you had three infractions between 4/18 and 5/18, then it would be a ban. 5/19 would render that infraction useless. At that point, it cannot be used against you, although it is still there as a "well there was an issue, but nothing has happened since" kind of thing.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
As of May 18, 2009, no. If you had three infractions between 4/18 and 5/18, then it would be a ban. 5/19 would render that infraction useless. At that point, it cannot be used against you, although it is still there as a "well there was an issue, but nothing has happened since" kind of thing.
With that statement, John, is it any wonder there is some confusion on this subject.

I have gone out of my way trying to be "good" and remedy the rocky road I was on at one point here at SAS and I like to think I have made some progress.

Hanging something over someone's head forever...not sure that is a good thing??

Just saying. :stu

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
It's just there - we don't really hold it against anyone unless they are continuously breaking rules with reckless abandon. We have had cases where there were a lot of personal attacks that had resulted in two separate ban episodes. When the person returned, he kept at it - those are the types of things that we use it for. The veterans are pretty good at staying within guidelines - it is a lot more rare..

·
Banned
3,667 Posts

30-day-span.

I've found where to change it.

From now on, all infractions will expire in 1 month. I also found a way to update all old infractions so that they expire in a month (the exact timestamp I used for existing infractions was 30 or 31 days).

This doesn't change anything in terms of how temp and permanent bans are given out, but I know that it will make more sense to everyone.

Thanks,
Drew

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I just took a look to see that eternity has indeed now been changed to one month.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts