Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a fan of punk, classic rock and blues rock for years, but I've been getting more into "indie rock" lately. So what are some good indie bands to check out? When I say indie, I guess I am talking about a certain sound, not so much what kind of label the band plays under- but I'm not sure if all "indie" acts sound similar? Anyway, these are the bands I've been listening to lately that I like, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend any bands based on these ones I listen to: Metric, Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, The Shins, The Decemberists, Elliot Smith..etc. These acts are all obviously different, some more so than others, but these bands are the kind of sound I'm looking to find more of. If any one can recommend anything I'd appreciate it! Thanks!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Metric would be one of my top favorite bands. My top picks that are somewhat similar are: Stars, The Most Serene Republic, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Eisley, Rilo Kiley. All very SOLID bands.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Spoon, Sufjan Stevens, Death From Above 1979, Band Of Horses, Pavement, Minus The Bear, Pedro The Lion, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, The Flaming Lips, The Weakerthans, The Microphones / Mount Eerie, Kings Of Convenience, Stars, Built to Spill, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah, Wolf Parade, Pinback, The Mountain Goats, Iron & Wine, Neutral Milk Hotel, The Wrens, Rilo Kiley.

Yeah probably listed way too many there but if you get bored there you go...

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
I love indie rock and indie pop. My tastes run mostly towards the pop side, especially twee, but I loves me some British indie rock. I'd consider The Shins to have a bit of twee in them, particularly their first album and the phenomenal, spectacular, best-song-they've-ever-written, "Know Your Onion!"

Twee:

Heavenly - "Our Love Is Heavenly"
Tullycraft - "Twee"
Primal Scream - "Velocity Girl" (they drastically changed their sound very soon after)
Los Campesinos! - "Death To Los Campesinos!"
Hefner - "The Sweetness Lies Within"

90% of the people I show twee pop to wind up violently hating it, so if you really hated all that, you're not alone.

Other indie that I swear doesn't sound like twee.

Okkervil River - "Lost Coastlines"

Patrick Wolf - "Bluebells"
Beirut - "Elephant Gun"
Jens Lekman - "Black Cab"
Of Montreal - "The Party's Crashing Us" - okay, with oM I lied, they are kinda twee
The Cribs - "You Were Always The One"

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
I don't usually do much "indie rock," but I picked up an album by Xiu Xiu last week based solely on the album art and liner notes.

And I was pleasantly surprised.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
I've been a fan of punk, classic rock and blues rock for a years, but I've been getting more into "indie rock" lately. So what are some good indie bands to check out? When I say indie, I guess I am talking about a certain sound, not so much what kind of label the band plays under- but I'm not sure if all "indie" acts sound similar? Anyway, these are the bands I've been listening to lately that I like, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend any bands based on these ones I listen to: Metric, Modest Mouse, Death Cab for Cutie, The Shins, The Decemberists, Elliot Smith..etc. These acts are all obviously different, some more so than others, but these bands are the kind of sound I'm looking to find more of. If any one can recommend anything I'd appreciate it! Thanks!
It seems like you're into a folk-pop sound.

You might want to check out Yo La Tengo, Sufjan Stevens, and Wilco.

Sometimes I'm a little confused about the word "indie". I'm not always sure what it's supposed to mean. Is it a major label/minor label thing, or is it a sound? The bands I listed above would probably be more alternative than indie, if you're using the former definition...

·
Registered
18 Posts
It seems like you're into a folk-pop sound.

You might want to check out Yo La Tengo, Sufjan Stevens, and Wilco.

Sometimes I'm a little confused about the word "indie". I'm not always sure what it's supposed to mean. Is it a major label/minor label thing, or is it a sound? The bands I listed above would probably be more alternative than indie, if you're using the former definition...
indie used to mean independent or maybe it still does. bands start up on their own and post their music on a website until a label signs them or doesn't

indie music i think has a unique sound, there's more heartfelt stuff maybe because the people making the music never did it to get rich or famous but because they enjoy it and it seems to come across when listening to it

popular indie music site is pitchfork http://pitchfork.com/

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
I am currently listening to The Foals...I don't know if they are technically indie but they kind of sound like it.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love indie rock and indie pop. My tastes run mostly towards the pop side, especially twee, but I loves me some British indie rock. I'd consider The Shins to have a bit of twee in them, particularly their first album and the phenomenal, spectacular, best-song-they've-ever-written, "Know Your Onion!"
Yah, I love that song and that album- I've been listening to the album every day for the last month, sometimes a couple times a day. For some reason it's just not getting old.

This is a great track! haha I just bookmarked it.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
haha damn I have a lot of music to check out...thanks for your suggestions everyone.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Guided By Voices, Apples In Stereo, Page France, Snow Patrol, Sunset Rubdown, Nada Surf, Delta Spirit, The War On Drugs. Just some that have not been mentioned.

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
aww you guys forgot Arcade Fire =)

·
The b**** is back
1,121 Posts
Some good picks here. Particularly Elliott Smith and Neutral Milk Hotel. Oh, how I heart them!

I would have to go with Antony and The Johnsons, Andrew Bird, Cocorosie and Joanna Newsom (I WORSHIP her.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts