Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,904 Posts
Geez, I'm not even sure what to mention since at least 90% of the stuff I listen to is independently or self-released. Then again, from what I was told by my younger sibling, even arena-level major label bands can be classified as "indie" now...at which point my nose started bleeding and I blacked out.

· Registered
3,625 Posts
I like indie.

My favorite subgenres are: twee, indie pop, dancepunk, and a lot of others with increasingly ridiculous names. I tend to really dislike that whole girl-with-a-piano subgenre.

Favorite indie bands: anything from Elephant 6 (of Montreal, the Apples in Stereo, the Olivia Tremor Control, The Gerbils, Neutral Milk Hotel, Elf Power, etc.), Belle & Sebastian, Tullycraft, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Patrick Wolf, Animal Collective, Los Campesinos!, Final Fantasy, Beirut, TV on the Radio, Sufjan Stevens, Klaxons, Jens Lekman, MGMT, Okkervil River, Television Personalities, Islands, Black Lips

Favorite Recent Indie Band: TV on the Radio or Okkervil River (shush, they're recent enough)
Favorite Old Indie Band: The Replacements or Pavement or The Smiths, if they're considered indie.

I'll add videos when my internet connection stops being so slow.
I'm a big Apples man, I seem them live 5 times, other than NMH (I wish) and OTC, I seen the the Elephant 6 collective bands you listed up there more than twice. I like most of the bands you listed up there.

I like bands like Guided By Voices, Dinosaur Jr, Delta Spirit, David Garza, Sunset Rubdown, Wolf Parade, Frog Eyes, Broken Social Scene, M83. That kinda stuff, more on the psychedelic side of indie.

· Registered
6,161 Posts
That's a great song by Wolf Parade. I'm pretty out of the loop as far as new music goes, though. I just see a lot of "indie" type bands live. I am now playing in one of many bands of this 58-year-old guy that books shows at a local dive bar. He doesn't sing, but does spoken word/poetry stuff. I can't really classify the music.

bands I see often/know:

www.myspace.com/themouthtomouth (first record coming out)
www.myspace.com/outlikelambs (watch the videos)
www.myspace.com/hrnywrms

· Registered
754 Posts
bon iver!

i started listening to 'for emma, forever ago' for the first time last week. it is so amazing

i would like find a bunch of youtube vids but i cant now
Bon Iver is awesome:D So so good. All the songs are so lovely.

Oooh and Under Pressure, that Empire of the Sun track is on my running playlist- loveitt.

This has got to be my favourite SAS topic/thread :D

· Après moi, le déluge
5,700 Posts
Not so much into checking to see which labels qualify as "Indie" or not, but I just wanted to say that Emm Gryner if effing amazing, but no one's ever heard of her. Go look up Emm Gryner, everyone!

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

· giggling ******
11,087 Posts
I like hundreds of little music. Hmmm..mention two:

Lau Nau
Kayo Dot

Oh, over 1000 little musics according to itunes. About 60 days worth.

· Registered
811 Posts
Geez, I'm not even sure what to mention since at least 90% of the stuff I listen to is independently or self-released. Then again, from what I was told by my younger sibling, even arena-level major label bands can be classified as "indie" now...at which point my nose started bleeding and I blacked out.
Yeah, it depends if you mean "indie" as a style of music or actual independent music.

Here's my playlist from playlist.com with a few songs from every album I own and some I haven't gotten yet, just 200 songs as that's the limit-

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/1043570187

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.