·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any experience with this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just used this for a presentation the other day. I found it effective, but at a much higher dose than was prescribed. I was told to take 1 to 4 10mg tablets 30 mins before the presentation, but I ended up taking 8, and I still wasn't completely relaxed. I've heard that for some people this is a wonder drug, with virtually no nervousness and exceptional confidence, so I think it's definitely worth trying.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am an anesthesia tech student and ironically am studying this drug(vaguely). i am wondering why this is the medication of choice for you? It treats supraventricular tachycardia, angina(chest pain) and Ventricular tachycardia(meaning the ventricles in your heart beat fast. I have anxiety and am hard to relax too, but I find clonidine is a nice fit. I hope you DR. knows exactly what he/she is doing. It seems to me that this is not a drug I would chose for relaxation or anxiety..BE INFORMED AND SAFE. I am not a DR. nor am I saying its not right, I am just giving you my knowledge. yOu should ask your DR. EXACTLY what this drug is all about. best of luck!!

·
Banned
1,707 Posts
^ 40 mg is normally enough but I've taken 80 mg before for a presentation, and was ok. It depends on the person. Some will start to feel dizzy at that dose.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I tried 10MG and felt the effects of it, but I wasn't in an extremely stressful situaion. I guess, I'll just have to see how it affects me. I was reading that at a 30+MG, one would already feel a total sense of disregard for everything else? In that at 30MG, you'll feel extremely relaxed, slow and buzzed?

·
Banned
1,707 Posts
^ Well no. I don't know how anyone could get buzzed by propranolol. It doesn't effect the brain like that. It doesn't really slow you down or relax you mentally either because it doesn't work that way. Those are mainly benzo side effects. Beta blockers mainly prevent shaking / sweating / blushing type symptoms. You won't feel it working at all until you are in a situation when those symptoms are normally elicited. You'll know it's working when you find physically you are remaining quite calm.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Propranolol is definitly not a "chill pill", but by blocking physical symptoms of anxiety it can break the anxiety cylce: Person in social situation begins sweating, shaking, blushing; Starts (over)thinking "Others see I'm very nervous and believe I'm a freak (or whatever); Person concentrates even more on physical symtpoms; They increase and so on. Inderal also crosses the blood brain barrier so it can have some direct effects there.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am an anesthesia tech student and ironically am studying this drug(vaguely). i am wondering why this is the medication of choice for you? It treats supraventricular tachycardia, angina(chest pain) and Ventricular tachycardia(meaning the ventricles in your heart beat fast. I have anxiety and am hard to relax too, but I find clonidine is a nice fit. I hope you DR. knows exactly what he/she is doing. It seems to me that this is not a drug I would chose for relaxation or anxiety..BE INFORMED AND SAFE. I am not a DR. nor am I saying its not right, I am just giving you my knowledge. yOu should ask your DR. EXACTLY what this drug is all about. best of luck!!
It's great for anxiety! Just depends on what you want from a medication. Just read the links Medline posted above your post.

·
Registered
17 Posts
^ Well no. I don't know how anyone could get buzzed by propranolol. It doesn't effect the brain like that. It doesn't really slow you down or relax you mentally either because it doesn't work that way. Those are mainly benzo side effects. Beta blockers mainly prevent shaking / sweating / blushing type symptoms. You won't feel it working at all until you are in a situation when those symptoms are normally elicited. You'll know it's working when you find physically you are remaining quite calm.
Nice explanation. That definitely clarifies my understanding of the med. I have pretty strong anxiety-provoked physical symptoms, so perhaps that's why I needed a higher dose. I have mild hand tremors as well, even while I'm not nervous.

FTR, I'm also on Effexor, which I was told increases blood pressure, so by using propanolol, they would kind of offset each other in terms of the blood pressure effects.

·
baclofen enthusiast
2,748 Posts
since it seems that lately my diastolic blood pressure is boosting I might need one of these beta-blockers or maybe a diuretic medication considering that I should really lose some weight.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it can break the anxiety cylce: Person in social situation begins sweating, shaking, blushing; Starts (over)thinking "Others see I'm very nervous and believe I'm a freak (or whatever); Person concentrates even more on physical symtpoms; They increase and so on.
That is me. My hands will start shaking or whatever, then I will become self-conscious that my hands are shaking and this will raise my anxiety causing my hands to shake more and so on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is me. My hands will start shaking or whatever, then I will become self-conscious that my hands are shaking and this will raise my anxiety causing my hands to shake more and so on.
This is what happens to me as well. My face will also turn red and my breathing becomes very labored and hands shake and voice becomes really shaky. I just received propranolol a few days ago and hopefully it works for me next time I'm in front of people or the center of attention is on me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just used 20 mg of prop today in a situation I would normally avoid or have to get up and leave, and I felt fine. There was a couple of times I could feel the familiar beginnings of adrenaline starting but it didn't happen. I'm counting this as a small victory

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Taking (enough) of a beta blocker daily for some time causes beta receptor upregulation. So instead of stopping Inderal abruptly you taper it down which is no problem at all in general. Otherwise you might get rebound tachycardia.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just used 20 mg of prop today in a situation I would normally avoid or have to get up and leave, and I felt fine. There was a couple of times I could feel the familiar beginnings of adrenaline starting but it didn't happen. I'm counting this as a small victory
Awesome! I know the happiness that comes with a small victory like this.

I noticed when I take the propranolol and I get an adrenaline rush which would typically start a panic attack, my body remains calm. I can however feel the adrenaline in my legs...does this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I made a doctor's appointment for tomorrow to try and get a script for Inderal. The question now is do I ask for the LA or regular. Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts