Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
441 - 460 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Doctors don`t prescribe Propranolol for situational anxiety

I have just purchased Propranolol Hydrochloride from Pharmacy2u as my GP wouldn't prescribe it for me because my heart rate is 60bpm. I could only get 40mg tablets, can anyone tell me if this would be a safe dose for a first time user? Or should I cut the tablet in half?

It's my wedding next week and I have to give a speech, on top of this I have to give a best mans speech the following month at my friends wedding. The fear is overwhelming so I want to test this asap and I'm fast running out of time!
If someone lives in Canada, can we order Propranolol from this website you mentioned Pharmacy2u. I have public speaking phobia and recently I had a panic attack in front of a group where I had to present myself.

Never happened to me before as I have tons of presentations. I always had anxiety but always managed to control it. I don`t know why it happened this time.

All doctors I go to, say that propranolol is never used for this kind of thing. But seeing people here I know that it might help me because I know that what is causing this is the fear of people seing my physical symptoms.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I live in montreal, Canada.

·
Human repellent
623 Posts
Just tried Propranolol today. Want to share my experience.

First, a little bit of background. I have SA and my main problem is the physical symptom is too strong, rendering me not able to function in social situation regardless of whether I'm brave enough to go through it. I don't think I'm a coward, the fact that I held a teaching job for years is a testament to that. It's just those physical symptoms are too strong and debilitating. Since propranolol targets physical symptoms, I have had high hope that it will help me.

Today my propranolol arrived and I was eager to give it a try. First I popped 10 mg, and after a while, I could feel very clearly that it's damping my physical symptoms -- all those fight or flight responses that trouble me almost through out my days. But I felt the effect was not strong enough, and we had a event coming up at noon, so I poppoed another 10 mg pill, and went into the event.

At the event, it was very clear to me the drug was having effect. My physical symptoms are greatly reduced, but still not totally absent, but even so I was still able to social much more than I usually could. Normally, if I interact with someone in a social setting, I would suddenly feel very self conscious and the fight or flight responses would set in like tilde waves and I won't be able to function socially anymore. But today, I interacted with people without feeling the "backfire" of symptoms at its full force. Whatever hit me was manageable, and I was able to sail through it -- I couldn't say with ease, as I'm still not totally free of symptom so I was still a little awkward. Even if I were totally symptom free, the drug doesn't suddenly teach you how to act elegantly in social setting. But still, the drug gave me a boost that enabled me to do much more than I usually could, and that's just at a combined dosage of 20mg. I consider myself to be the type of person that's not susceptible to placebo effects, and I can say with 100% confidence that what happened wasn't placebo effect.

I think this drug can really help me. I have read many unsuccessful stories of SA sufferers with this drug, and as many success stories. I think the difference is really that if it's the fight or flight responses that bother you most, then you are very likely going to benefit from this drug.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Good to hear that it has benefited you.
I think some people don't fully read what propranolol actually does and expect it to be a panacea
for all social anxiety.
Combine it with a low dose benzo for good effect. Be careful to see how much you need of each.
Everyone is different, you will need to experiment on doses.

·
Human repellent
623 Posts
My initial expectation for the drug is still a little unrealistic. I have been a loner since I was a teenager, and I already forgot how to connect with people. I have trouble forming close relationship with people. I freak out say if I have to sit side by side with someone for a long duration. I had hoped the drug can cure that too, but that's probably expecting too much. I may have to regain the ability of making friends by relearning it, that is, if ever.

This problem I actually consider to be a bigger one than trouble in social settings, such as trouble of public speech, which I kind of already overcame, but I can't overcome not being able to make friends.

·
Human repellent
623 Posts
About side effects, I think for me so far the main thing is it seems to make me a little bit weaker. There were not much unpleasant side effects when the drug was in effect. I took 20 mg yesterday before noon, and even though the effect was pretty much gone by night, when I ran this morning as I do about everyday, I was significantly slower and felt weaker. My theory is that the drug slowed down metabolism, and which in turn slowed down my recovery from yesterdays run.

This kind of sucks, but I expected this anyway. Running is really one of the few things that I have going for me.

·
Human repellent
623 Posts
Some update.

I took 20 mg for the first time on 08/09/2016. I thought the test was effective, and I had high hope that the drug is going to make a difference.

Today, I tried it for the second time. I took higher dose since last time I felt although it was effective, it didn't completely suppress my symptoms. This time I first took a total of 60 mg in the span of a less than 2 hours starting from 9:30 AM. I felt the effect of the drug is even weaker than last time. I was expecting my HR would drop to crazy low, but it just dropped about as much as last time. Also it seemed the drug left my system quite quickly. From the time I took the first dose to my HR returned to close to normal it was less than 4 hours. By 1 PM, I couldn't feel the effect of the drug. I took another 40 mg at around 2 pm, and started to feel it at around 3pm, but at about 3:40, my heart rate had already mostly bounced back.

I didn't feel much more comfortable talking to people face to face, nor was I more out going under the drug. It does slightly suppress the physical symptom, but I felt it didn't do it enough, not to the point I can behave normally when interact with people. Overall, I don't think it's going to be anywhere near life changing.

To be fair to the drug, this time I didn't go into a real test since today is uneventful. There is the chance the drug can still help in really anxiety inducing social situation. But it didn't seem to help much in my day-to-day interaction with people, which is actually kind of my priority.

Also I wonder if sustained release propranolol variety will address the problem of it seems to be getting metabolized too quickly for me.

Edit:

At this moment I think it's pretty clear that propranolol is not the full answer to my problem, but it may very well be part of the equation. It help with stressful situation. But one of my problem is one to one interaction, during which I will tense up, my neck and face will be rigid. I have notice since my first experience with propranolol that it's not helping in this respect, but I was hoping it would help if I up the dosage. Today's experiment showed that that's not the case. So I guess I have to search for another med to compliment propranolol.

·
Human repellent
623 Posts
More updates:

I experimented with Propranolol a few days more. My conclusion is that it is still pretty effective on me, but I just need to dramatically increase the dosage. My first trial with the drug was only 20 mg. Today I took over 200 mg, and this is just my 5th day on it.

·
2,110 Posts
More updates:

I experimented with Propranolol a few days more. My conclusion is that it is still pretty effective on me, but I just need to dramatically increase the dosage. My first trial with the drug was only 20 mg. Today I took over 200 mg, and this is just my 5th day on it.
does it help with social anxiety or just with physical symptoms of anxiety for you?

·
Human repellent
623 Posts
My problem is really mostly the physical symptoms, so for me if I'm free of them, I'm really much better off.

I need to continue experimenting with it to see what exactly it does to me, how much it can enable me in social situations. But I'm running out of it for now. I will continue my update once I get more of it.

does it help with social anxiety or just with physical symptoms of anxiety for you?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Propranolol allows me to survive in anxiety world. I try to take it occasionally when I expect bigger stress ie. before work conferences. I take between 10-80mg depending on how I feel, usually 20. It works on physical symptoms, but not completely. It reduces my shakiness the most, does little for my tension spasms in the neck and head and doesn't help at all for sweating nor bowel problems. If you have negative thoughts about physiological reactions then it will have good effect on your mental processes and it helps me there too.

I have some side effects. Anyone else is having a brain fog? My psychiatrist said that shouldn't be possible, but it really impairs my cognitive functions. I also feel weaker and sleepier, but not so much. Second issue I have it is causing me vision problems in front of monitor. I wear toric lenses, don't know if that matters. Psychiatrist and oculist also said that shouldn't be possible.

Overall it is far from a good drug, but it helps. I wonder is there any drug that is better then propranolol or that can work with it to help?

·
Human repellent
623 Posts
InDarkness,

As I'm still experimenting with it, I'm still not sure to what degree it suppress my physical symptom. For sure it does for some, but I can't say 100% for others. I'm exactly like you in that I also suffer from tension spasm, especially in the neck. Yesterday when I tested, I think I didn't start with enough dosage in the morning, I probably reached high enough level in the afternoon, during which time I felt relaxed. I'm not sure if at that time if spasm inducing situation occurred, I'd be safe from it. I need to try it more to know.

About side effects, since I'm a runner, the main thing is it strongly interferes with my runs. Today I ran almost 2 minutes slower than when I was not on it, I used to run the route in 11 minutes today I could only do it in close to 13. I also seem to wake up in early morning. I haven't felt it has much effect on cognitive functions yet.

·
Human repellent
623 Posts
I may give up on this drug due to the fact that it makes it impossible to run. Running is my long lasting hobby and really makes me feel good. I hate my running get interrupted so much I don't even want to use this drug for situations.

Actually, some recent crisis in life started by something that happens in work place triggered my seeking help for my SA. I had otherwise lived with it all my life. Now some change is about to happen in my work place and the source of my crisis may be totally removed, which means I can go back to my normal (not really normal, but what I had lived with uneventfully for so long and all indication is that I can keep living like that indefinitely), and I may not need any medication, or intervention at all. It's by no mean an ideal or even happy life but it's something I'm more than happy to settle with.

·
2,110 Posts
it takes away the physical symptoms when I get anxious, but not the mental thoughts....if that's what you are asking? at least for me. .
no like I say..
the link i provided says:

say if you see an spider and u usually would get scared mentally but if u took propranolol u wouldnt get scared . ur brain wouldnt react.. thats wat the link i provided came to conclusion. situations that usually would scare u mentally wont anymore if u take propranolol enough daily i guess and if u do the things that scare u enough times daily and take propranolol daily u wont get anxiety in situations or stuffs , so no more social fear = NO more fear of people and social anxiety ? Idk how to explain ur probably wondering wtf is he high'''? Or U wont get as scared..

''. Propranolol can apparently disrupt this so-called "reconsolidation" of fear memories, shortly after the period of memory retrieval and reactivation, leading to a change in how the fear memory is expressed.''

·
Registered
584 Posts
no like I say..
the link i provided says:

say if you see an spider and u usually would get scared mentally but if u took propranolol u wouldnt get scared . ur brain wouldnt react.. thats wat the link i provided came to conclusion. situations that usually would scare u mentally wont anymore if u take propranolol enough daily i guess and if u do the things that scare u enough times daily and take propranolol daily u wont get anxiety in situations or stuffs , so no more social fear = NO more fear of people and social anxiety ? Idk how to explain ur probably wondering wtf is he high'''? Or U wont get as scared..

''. Propranolol can apparently disrupt this so-called "reconsolidation" of fear memories, shortly after the period of memory retrieval and reactivation, leading to a change in how the fear memory is expressed.''
I think it will lessen the fact that you are scared of a spider, by lowering your heart rate, sweating, etc (physical symptoms) which will make it easier for you to deal with it...that's my opinion......just try it...it's not addictive i dont think?

·
2,110 Posts
I think it will lessen the fact that you are scared of a spider, by lowering your heart rate, sweating, etc (physical symptoms) which will make it easier for you to deal with it...that's my opinion......just try it...it's not addictive i dont think?
hmm who knows? read the link it's a good read.
it has something to do with amygdala which propranolol interacts with.
Try a different beta blocker and see for yourself if propranolol actually erase fear or it'sjust the same as any other beta blocker.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Been taking propranolol ever since I was 15 so for 8 years now. It does help with the physical symptons like shaking and blushing but the mental crap won't go away so basically my social anxiety has developed into a different state I guess? During my teenage times I used to blush a lot but I never was afraid of going to new places like work or school, now my physical symptoms aren't that bad anymore but I'm scared to death to even think about going to school again or going to work.

441 - 460 of 471 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.