Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
421 - 440 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Nutshell version--it doesn't take away the anxiety, it stops the physical symptoms from taking over and escalating the anxiety. I'm hoping that's all I need.
But I only tend to be nervous or know that i'm nervous, BECAUSE of the physical symptoms!!
I don't know how i'd 'know' im nervous/'feel' nervous without them symptoms which is why I think it could potentially be a good pill for me.

·
Registered
204 Posts
But I only tend to be nervous or know that i'm nervous, BECAUSE of the physical symptoms!!
I don't know how i'd 'know' im nervous/'feel' nervous without them symptoms which is why I think it could potentially be a good pill for me.
I would at least try it. I had a little smaller than half a dose today, and I could still feel my cheeks growing a little warm while walking through the grocery store, but my body didn't overreact to what I was feeling. I am shocked at how much of my SA is physical!

There was a lady scowling at me as I bought pudding (fat girl buying pudding), and I looked straight into her eyes until she looked away, and absolutely nothing happened. I wasn't perspiring all over my face, my facial muscles didn't go rigid. It was bizarre how my mind waited for a physical explosion---but there was zero climax lol

Please let this be real and not in my head!!!! This could change my life! I've had "miracles" that only worked for a day or two--please be real! I've suffered enough! At least it's highlighted how physical my SA is. My brain is way too much lizard brain.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Yeah betablockers are my drug of choice if where to rob a bank... Take them over Benzo any day of the week...

·
Registered
55 Posts
If I would have known about this stuff earlier in my career, I have no idea what heights I would have reached. Im older now but the fear of speaking in public started mid-7th grade and never stopped. I had no trouble in informal settings, but training classes, status meetings and anything like that was "bathroom hiding" time.

Through a 30 year career I had three situations in which I could not avoid for public speaking and they went very bad. One of them was a jury duty in which I was called up to the panel and literally almost fell apart.

I got that monkey off my back yesterday in jury duty with about 80 mg of prop spread throughout the day and a couple of very small doses of Klon. Someone later asked me if I was a part-time actor.

I advise to extremely limit any caffeine leading up to the event, and NO caffeine on the day of the event. Caffeine is one of those things that trigger the fight-or-flight response, so we certainly dont want that.

Also, dont expect to be worry free before you have to speak. You will be nervous, but once you start talking you will be amazed with yourself when none of those debilitating physical affects occur. You may even find yourself talking TOO much because you feel so free.

Also, very important to get some sleep the night before. For me, the only way was with Klonopin. It is a very powerful drug so take care.

·
2,110 Posts
So this drug cant help with social anxiety ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
So this drug cant help with social anxiety ?
This drug is really good for "situational anxiety". It prevents stress hormones from reaching their receptors basically and also has other effects which negates the fight-or-flight response. It works extremely well for public speaking and people who play instruments.

Social Anxiety is a very general term so you need to state what your symptoms are and maybe someone can help.

·
2,110 Posts
This drug is really good for "situational anxiety". It prevents stress hormones from reaching their receptors basically and also has other effects which negates the fight-or-flight response. It works extremely well for public speaking and people who play instruments.

Social Anxiety is a very general term so you need to state what your symptoms are and maybe someone can help.
feel of being judged etc. Makes you less afraid. does it do that?

·
Registered
55 Posts
feel of being judged etc. Makes you less afraid. does it do that?
Propanolol on its own did not do that for me, but it mentally made me more confident knowing I wont fall apart when being put on the spot.

SO, just knowing that i have a tool I can use for my specific problem, made me less afraid.

When I was younger, fear of being judged was a pretty big deal, but now that I am an old guy, I care less what people think of me, so that is something to consider as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Inderal, as many have already mentioned, it is a Beta Blocker, which is decreasing the function of Sympathetic nervous system (fight and flight) and increasing Parasympathetic nervous system (rest and digest). However, when we are anxious or nervous or stress, it's always the Sympathetic nervous system that turns on, causing palpitations, sweating (only secretion that is caused by sympathetic, rest are caused by Parasympathetic). And Beta is actually one of the receptors working in Sympathetiv System, working with Catecholamines (Epinephrine, Norepinephrine, Dopamine-aka Adrenalines, etc.).

It is not a pschiatric drug, could be prescribed by General physician/IM's ...
And it is also not for anxiety - literally shutting down sympathetic - racey heart and rhythm - which makes you feel better and calm you.

Sorry, I just felt like saying this...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just meant to say that it could be given for anxiety but its mechanism is literally to slow your sympathetic system by increasing function of parasympathetic

·
Registered
2 Posts
propranolol not working

i have been using the drug for around 8 years and have tried it in both forms ( slow release and fast release)i believe i take it as more of a safety net, however i do not find it to be that effective. a lot of my anxiety is actually driven by the physical effects. i spend most of my day worrying that something will make me blush, sweat or shake. for this reason i thought beta blockers would be the best although i find they do not actually prevent most of these symptoms. i say i use it as a safety net due to the fact even though i do not find them all that effective i still take them as i think would it be worst without them !

do other people find this ? or has anyone found anything else that has hep with the physical effect of their anxiety ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
For me, I find it odd that I dont notice its effect until I am actually put on the spot to speak. Maybe not so odd, since many others have noticed the same effect.

The general consensus then is that this drug when used AS NEEDED only for a very special case of anxiety. I call it "situational anxiety".

Imagine yourself as a very normal outgoing person who finds it so easy to talk in groups when your are not EXPECTED to talk, or when you know you can stop anytime because it is in a very informal event. You have no problem with this and enjoy it so much. You have no trouble going out where there are lots of people etc etc.

BUT..... It ALL changes when there is an AGENDA of items your are expected to talk about like a planned presentation, even if its something simple like introducing yourself to the other people in a training class for example. "Going around the room" can be the most dreadful of situations. How is this possible? I mean, we are so normal otherwise.

Well, apparently what's happening is that we are generating an adrenaline rush which creates an immense flight-or-fight response in our body and mind. Our vocal cords tighten, we shake and basically almost fall apart. This is why we call it "situational anxiety".

For most of us the magical cure for this is the beta blocker Inderal. For me, I need a small dose of Klonopin as well.

IF you are anxious ALL the time, then this might not be the solution for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just purchased Propranolol Hydrochloride from Pharmacy2u as my GP wouldn't prescribe it for me because my heart rate is 60bpm. I could only get 40mg tablets, can anyone tell me if this would be a safe dose for a first time user? Or should I cut the tablet in half?

It's my wedding next week and I have to give a speech, on top of this I have to give a best mans speech the following month at my friends wedding. The fear is overwhelming so I want to test this asap and I'm fast running out of time!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone heard of taking this somewhat daily (or at least more than for "performance" situations)? I'm thinking about social situations like in class (where I might have the answer to a question, but unable to participate due to pounding heart, etc) or outings where I'm not able to regularly participate in conversations for the same reasons.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Robsgoneblind > I just did my first presentation on propranolol today, and it webt really good. I took 10 mg two days before, 20 mg the day before (just to test for side effects etc.) and 40 mg on the day one hour before. And dont worry if you feel nervous just before, it will do the trick for you :)

So I was sitting in the meeting (taken 40 mg), and I felt as nervous as Im always are, I could feel my heart a little and to be honest I thought that the propranolol did not work, and regreted that I did not take a higher dose, but then I opened my mouth and I was just in flow, no nervous signs what so ever.. normally my voice would shake, my hands/legs would shake and everyone would watch me as a nervous person... but not this time, I just went with the flow, didn't even think about it while I was doing it.. people even commented afterwards that I did good.
After having this fear for 20 years - what a relief.

Does anyone have any experience in getting rid of the pre-nerves just before the speech? It is still bothering that I need to be nervous before :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Simply exposing yourself to situations and resetting your mind through CBT and books is much better. This does nothing for me for that reason.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm going to take my driving test for the 2nd time next week, I failed the 1st time because of the nervousness/anxiety - my mind just went completely blank really and I couldn't think straight - and I didn't take anything. So this time I decided to ask my doctor to prescribe me something and she prescribed me this. I was expecting a benzo, and I don't think my problems in this particular case are the physical symptoms but the nervous thoughts in itself, so now I'm kinda worried this won't work at all and I will just fail again.

Can someone give me some insight on this? Also, she told me to take 10mg only, but given as I'm below the ideal weight, maybe that's enough for me.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It doesn't work for ****. I took it. I might as well have taken a sugar pill.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What are you looking for it to achieve?

It has been very well documented that it is for physical symptoms, and won't help psychologically.

421 - 440 of 471 Posts