Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 100% positive I have ADD, predominantly inattentive. And the fact that I have it is one of the reasons I haven't had it diagnosed yet. While it's not officially diagnosed, I exhibit all of these documented symptoms:

- Mostly heightened inattentiveness with relatively low hyperactivity (low energy) and low impulsivity
- Procrastination
- Poor internal supervision (I have trouble doing things like brushing my teeth and clipping my nails regularly)
- Propensity for careless mistakes in work (I always triple-check my work only to find out I STILL missed a few details)
- Forgetfulness in daily activities (I forget to do certain things I plan at the beginning of the day, pretty much every single day of my life)
- Avoiding, or having trouble starting, things that take a lot of mental effort (falls in line with procrastination)
- Trouble listening in conversations (I frequently miss something that someone said and have to ask what they're talking about; this happens pretty much all the time and I'm sure some people think I'm an idiot for it)
- And of course, trouble paying attention to anything for an extended period of time

Does anyone else have this specific disorder or exhibit some of the symptoms? And if so, what measures have you taken to prevent or improve it? I'm ready to seek professional counsel on this matter because it is leading to my severe SA and I don't want it to impact my adult life the way it has impacted me up to this point.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Primarily Inattentive ADD the ADHD Orphan

Hey,

I have primarily inattentive add as done one of my sons.
So much has been written and researched about ADD/ADHD. We know the stimulants work for the primarily hyperactive sub-type of ADD/ADHD. We even know they work pretty well for the combined type of ADD/ADHD, that is, a patient that is both hyperactive and inattentive.

The stimulants do not work as well for those of us who are primarily inattentive. There are other approaches, behavioral, emotional, dietary, etc. I have written a lot about it on my blog. Please check it out.

http://primarilyinattentiveadd.blogspot.com.

Tess

·
not evn sposed to be here
122 Posts
=D We're the best!

I'm curious how your ADD affects your SA. For me, with the whole, "not knowing what people are talking about" thing, I avoid conversations with people entirely. This sucks cause I'm lonely and want to talk to girls like me =(

Btw Tessmesser, what should I take, these stimulants or only acting as stimulants for me!

·
122 Posts
just to clarify, would you recommend writing a term paper on a low dose of Marijuana, or are it's benefits limited to conversation?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
just to clarify, would you recommend writing a term paper on a low dose of Marijuana, or are it's benefits limited to conversation?
Pretty much any situation that requires your undivided concentration, it can be very beneficial. At least it's been in my experience.

I wouldn't recommend smoking marijuana before a wrting a term paper, though. Or before doing anything for that matter until you know how it will affect you.

·
ジョー
16 Posts
I vote a big no on the marijuana. I used to smoke quite a bit in high school but stopped when I realized the high was never that great and it actually seemed to worsen my anxiety to some degree. Even if it's your cup of tea, I don't think smoking a bowl and writing a term paper would be a very smart idea. If you somehow stay disciplined enough to actually try writing it while high, I don't think you'll be all that pleased with the results when you're looking over it the next day.

Back on-topic: After moving away for college, I found a new psych who told me I "probably have some ADD" in addition to anxiety. I'm convinced he's right. So far, he's let me try Adderall XR and Vyvanse but I'm not too pleased with either. For me, both wore off WAY too fast, didn't exactly help me focus like I imagined they would, and left me with an unpleasant crash (though the comedown from Vyvanse wasn't quite as bad). I have another appointment this afternoon and I think he's going to prescribe me Focalin this time. I'll report back in later and let you know how that goes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
It seems to me that there's a lot of people with social anxiety (especially on this site) that think they have ADD-PI, and I think that in a lot of cases it's simply the anxiety that prevents one from being able to process auditory stimuli. Another possibility or factor is depression which comes about as a result of the anxiety and consequential social isolation.
For a while I thought I had ADD-PI but after thorough re-evaluation I found out I didn't fit the profile and simply bought myself some supplements in hopes of improving my attentional problems. Turns out ginkgo biloba, acetyl-l-carnitine and other vitamins helped a lot with my concentration. Maybe you'll want to give natural supplements a try?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I am 100% positive I have ADD, predominantly inattentive. And the fact that I have it is one of the reasons I haven't had it diagnosed yet. While it's not officially diagnosed, I exhibit all of these documented symptoms:

- Mostly heightened inattentiveness with relatively low hyperactivity (low energy) and low impulsivity
- Procrastination
- Poor internal supervision (I have trouble doing things like brushing my teeth and clipping my nails regularly)
- Propensity for careless mistakes in work (I always triple-check my work only to find out I STILL missed a few details)
- Forgetfulness in daily activities (I forget to do certain things I plan at the beginning of the day, pretty much every single day of my life)
- Avoiding, or having trouble starting, things that take a lot of mental effort (falls in line with procrastination)
- Trouble listening in conversations (I frequently miss something that someone said and have to ask what they're talking about; this happens pretty much all the time and I'm sure some people think I'm an idiot for it)
- And of course, trouble paying attention to anything for an extended period of time

Does anyone else have this specific disorder or exhibit some of the symptoms? And if so, what measures have you taken to prevent or improve it? I'm ready to seek professional counsel on this matter because it is leading to my severe SA and I don't want it to impact my adult life the way it has impacted me up to this point.
You sound exactly like me. I have been diagnosed with ADHD-I and i can relate to all your symptoms. The only drugs i really get relief from are opiates, and stimulants.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I think I have this as well.. I can relate to so many of those symptoms. I have been talking to a psychologist a while now but they seem to be more interested in dealing with my depression, which I'm not even convinced I really have, and putting me on SSRI's (which most seem to agree are useless).

Why do I get the feeling that mental health experts aren't much of experts on anything? Why is there so much disagreement on what works and how to treat patients?

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
Hello,
I can relate. Someone on here told me "ginkgo biloba" worked for them and there's quite a few stories surrounding the use of it for ADHD on the internet. I once checked on an ADHD forum but I remember reading a few posts, generally saying that it did not make much difference to them. No studies to prove anything though and I've yet to use it myself. Not sure exactly how it works but, I think in "theory", it widens the blood in vessels in the brain which makes it easier to concentrate (or something like that). It's fairly quite cheap (about £5 for a bottle) and available at most natural supplement shops so worth a try.

·
122 Posts
I tried Ginkgo Biloba. It wasn't very effective for me. I had a weird feeling in my head, (similar to that feeling you get when you close your eyes for too long when you're wide awake and it's bright out). Anyone else try that stuff? I've been considering giving it another shot sometime.

Oh, and I did have an ok experience on fish oil till I developed an allergy.

·
:/
957 Posts
For some, it might just be a mixture of depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, and maybe avoidant personality disorder (AvPD). I was told I didn't have ADD and I have all of those symptoms.

Fight procrastination: when you think of something to do, just do it. Don't worry about failing or say you'll do it later. Do a little bit each day (better than doing none of it). Don't beat yourself up over not completing everything that you want to do. Also, writing things down so that you wont forget is good to do. It's still a struggle at times to get things done, but at least I can see that I'm making some progress.

·
Registered
131 Posts
For some, it might just be a mixture of depression, anxiety, low self-esteem, and maybe avoidant personality disorder (AvPD). I was told I didn't have ADD and I have all of those symptoms.

Fight procrastination: when you think of something to do, just do it. Don't worry about failing or say you'll do it later. Do a little bit each day (better than doing none of it). Don't beat yourself up over not completing everything that you want to do. Also, writing things down so that you wont forget is good to do. It's still a struggle at times to get things done, but at least I can see that I'm making some progress.
I have all of those symptoms. I believe these symptoms are the main reasons I have SA because I can't function and see things the same way other people do.

·
122 Posts
I was told I didn't have ADD and I have all of those symptoms.
If you have all of the symptoms of ADD, by definition you have ADD (note, that link is just inattentive and not hyperactive). That's how almost all mental diagnoses are made; through observation of symptoms (which has always frustrated me). EDIT: Oh, I see what you're saying, "your symptoms disappear when there's nothing left to avoid." thus you have AvPD? nvm then, heh... :sigh

Care to share some more info on [fish oil helping]?
As far as the fish oil helping me... well, just go to your grocery store's pharmacy area and buy a bottle of Omega-3 or fish oil off the shelf. Then take it every day for a month or so. At that point, you may notice:

-You don't lose track of your sentences while you're talking
-You don't forget about things you meant to say (or get)!
-You talk and say witty things during class
-You can actually answer questions when the teacher asks the class for things!
-You can sit through long classes a little better (my foot shook as usual)
-Your skin feels better...

The allergy I referenced in my first post is not documented on the web anywhere... so I think it's just me (if you got an allergy to, PM me)... basically when I eat fish or take fish supplements now my junk kinda hurts, lol. I was on it for months before this side effect of fish developed.

·
Yes
1,760 Posts
If you have all of the symptoms of ADD, by definition you have ADD (note, that link is just inattentive and not hyperactive). That's how almost all mental diagnoses are made; through observation of symptoms (which has always frustrated me).
Not entirely true. According to the DSM, one criteria that MUST be met with AD(H)D in particular is that the symptoms need to have been evident before the age of 7 for a diagnosis to be made. I was just diagnosed with ADHD-I in September, at the age of 23, and it was still critically important to look at my early childhood.

As for fish oil... have to be careful with that. You're generally better off taking an Omega-3 supplement with really high amounts of DHA and EPA (ALA is a relatively worthless Omega-3 that cheaper supplements tend to use instead.) Fish oil has huge amounts of vitamin A though, and if you're also taking a multivitamin or have a diet that is otherwise high in vitamin A, it's very easy to get toxic doses. You need to be very cautious with vitamin A.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i know everyone in the US is like, "i have add" but i think it might be one of the major reasons i have social anxiety as well.
i always feel lost in conversations, even as im listening im like wtf are they talking about...?. i also lose my train of thought as im taliking, MORE than the normal person.. happens at least once in every conversation.. now it could be that my mind is too focused on the anxiety to fully focus on the conversation or maybe the ADD causes anxiety ..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts