Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tommorow morning, I am going to confession, at the cathedral in my town.
I just can't get past the sin of pride, in not wanting to tell a practical stranger the bad things I've done. Am I really supposed to tell him, all the strange, and twisted thoughs I have, they are nt always pure and innocent.
I have visited another forum a catholic one. They are the most serious, God fearing, holier than thou, group.
Showing your shoulders in a muscle t shirt, showing your legs without pantyhose, if your clothes are shapely- well according to the posters on this forum, I am in sin.
Are they serious about confessing the sin of solitary sin?
And if I keep it from him, I am in sin again.

Can you see why I dont want to go?
Would you tell a strange man, if you 're in solitary sin?

I am sorry but that is my business, and no one elses.

If I can bite the bullet, and get over the initial fear, in time I will become humble and lose that pride.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
I doubt there's anything you could tell him that he hasn't heard before.

Maybe you can 'rehearse' to get over your fear?

[Boring doctrinal discussion ahead - you have been warned:]

In Catholic doctrine, Confession is required only for mortal sins - that is, sins that are deliberate and especially egregious. Most people commit few or no mortal sins in their lifetime. I really don't think that pride, or wearing a tank top, is a mortal sin.

Weekly/monthly confession is a recent tradition, esp since Council of Trent. (That or Vatican I, I can never remember. I'd look it up but my favorite gigantic and authoritative book, Catholicism, by Richard McBrien, S.J, is all packed up.) Originally it was something done yearly or less frequently. Either way, at least 3/4 of the Catholic tradition contradicts the very holy but wrong people on that forum.

According to said doctrine, every time you go to Mass you are completely cleansed of all venial sins (specifically, the part where the priest says the absolution: "May almighty God have mercy on us, forgive us our sins, and bring us to everlasting life.")

You can go to Confession anyway, IMO, if you find it therapeutic or useful, or if you want specific guidance on a certain area of your life. It's really a personal decision. For me, if I were going to confession I would just set up an appointment with my parish priest and have a confidential chat. I'd find that more useful than sitting in a dark broom closet and talking to a grill, but again that's just me.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well,
I did go to confession at the cathedral in my town, and thankyou Caedmon for your unput. I find you to be a wealth of knowledge. Thanks to Truseeker for your concern.

I am glad I went, I got rid of lot of baggage I was holding. He told me its not about God, up there with a sledgehammer ready to slam me, when I confess, and not to hold on to shame or guilt, either. I took myself some notes to help me out, he wanted to shred them, after I confessed them, cause I never need to hold them sins in my mind again. I am free.

Thats an awesome God.

jenky

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
It sounds like a really great experience. Good on you for going! :)

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
jenkydora said:
I am glad I went, I got rid of lot of baggage I was holding. He told me its not about God, up there with a sledgehammer ready to slam me, when I confess, and not to hold on to shame or guilt, either. I am free.

Thats an awesome God.

jenky
:) That's great Jenky! Your priest sounds like a good guy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts