Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I was really pleased to come across this forum cause I think I've been suffering from social anxiety since I was like 13. Before then I don't recall any serious degree of anxiety, I think that's cause I lived in a townhouse until I turned 13 and so I was always surrounded by a community of sorts and at that age I don't think I was smart enough to be self conscious so it never took much effort to make friends back then.

When we left the townhouse the incidental community simply vanished and I think that gave me an opportunity to retreat into my shell.

On top of that, when I entered high school that same year I by accident started hanging out with a really confident group of people. I didn't join the group with any calculation, some of the members just seemed to take a liking to me and sort of brought me into it. The thing about these people is that they were all socially successful and all funnier than I was, so I think regularly hanging out with them made me feel kinda inferior, but I didn't want to just abruptly drop out of the group cuz I thought that would cause some awkwardness and animosity. Now I've read somewhere that constantly being made to feel inferior can cause SA so that period of my life probably also contributed to my anxiety.
I'm really not sure but those are the most likely things I can point to to explain that sudden onset of self consciousness and anxiety.

I'm in college now and I see that although I've managed to keep a few close friends from high school I still find approaching new people quite a daunting thing, not impossible, but really hard...so yeah, I'm hoping to have some meaningful relationships here

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Dux! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts