Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been doing this as long as I remember. When I'm bored, when I'm stressed, when my hands just have nothing better to do at the time... I'll just start running my hands over my skin liking for something to pick at. I've tried to stop so many times and I was actually successful once, but then I started again. Over time I moved the main area or picking from my exposed arms and face to more covered areas - mostly my sholders and upper arms, but I'll still pick at my face occasionally, especially when I'm stressed. I bite my lips too, sometimes to the point where they bleed. In high school and jr. High I had sores everywhere, covering my arms and face. I was sent to the school nurse a few times because my teachers thought I was sick. I avoid situations where I have to take be shirtless in front of others because of it. Every time I catch myself picking I feel terrible; I see it as a day's worth of progress lost, a day's worth of my skin healing. But before I know it, my hands are at it again.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I pick scabs, I won't lie, if I have a scab ill pick it, if I have a spot ill squeeze it..
Oh wel.
But u actually creating all these sores on your skin..u need to get help, must be stress or GAD related.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
GAD? I don't cut myself or anything. They all start out as pimples, small cuts, bug bites, and I pick at them until they're much worse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think what it is is Dermatillomania, or Excoriation Disorder. It's an obsessive-compulsive habit that can be related to generalized anxiety. When you pick, does it relieve some stress whenever you do it?

I'm the same way, except I pick at everything. Skin, nails, scabs, lips imperfections. Maybe seeing someone would help you end the habit before one of the wounds becomes infected?

·
Is Not Amused!
437 Posts
I've picked skin, lips, scabs for most of my life. I started when I was a child. I also chew/pick my nails, and grind my teeth in my sleep.

A lot of these habits I kinda grew out of in my teenage years but every now and again I fall back into them.

A couple of months ago I even started to pick the gunk out of my belly button (till it started to hurt.)

I've had generalised anxiety my entire life and it kinda annoys me that these warning signs weren't picked up by my parents or other adults. (no pun intended.)

**** you anxiety. :-/
Gunk in your belly button. :eek: Whats in there?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I have ingrown hairs and i pick at them obsessively. They're monstrous looking, specifically because I've picked at them so much. When I say obsessively, I mean ... obsessively. Ingrowns don't seem to faze other people like they faze me.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I understand what your going though :(

I pick my lips until the bleed and hurt so badly i cannot touch them anymore. I also pick alot at the back of my legs whenever im bored or anxious..

Feel better!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yep, dermatillomania. I used to have it pretty bad. Took me forever to kick the habit..chewing my nails as well. Takes a lot of effort but it is possible to quit. Take your aggression out on something other than yourself.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah I have a pretty bad habit of scab picking. I can't even remember when I started doing it. I actually scratch and pick at my scalp until I create little cuts and wait for them to scab over so I can pick at them until they become a sore again. Then the process starts all over again. It's gross, I know. I just can't fight the urge a lot of the time

·
SAS Member
236 Posts
I pick my nails, the skin around my nails, and wherever I have dead skin I'll pick that too. I've had this for as long as I can remember also. I know I have SA, but I guess this may be a sign that I have generalized anxiety too, because I do it all the time, even when I'm not in a stressful social situation. I really hate it too because I can never let my nails grow and then if people see them they're like "eww" because sometimes I'll pick them till they bleed. It's such a bad habit

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have some pretty decent scars from this on my shoulders. It'd be interesting to see what my scalp looks like under my hair. I did quite a job pulling out my hair while I was in school. Surely the teachers must have been wondering who's "shedding" in the same seat every day.

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
I've always loved picking scabs because it feels good to get rid of them (due to how ugly and crusted up they usually look.) I try to control myself more at times, like I'll wear a band-aid and tell myself that if I don't pick it will heal and go away, and it works sometimes but not when I'm really stressed. It sucks because my skin looks disgusting all year round, and to top it off I have sensitive skin that is prone to develop bumps and zits easily, so I have all the more reason to pick at it.

·
Stuck in daydreams
77 Posts
Idk if that's related but I used to clean my hands so much with a soap until the point of very dry, leeding skin. Maybe I was self-harming. I was always doing it when I was distressed, like I wanted to clean away my problems, shame or guilt. Now I ovecomed it and bought a good, not harming soap, so my hands are pretty normal.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts