Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try improv or sketch comedy or anything? If so, what were the effects on your SA?

I think the key to overcoming SA is taking action where it's not centered on SA, or overcoming SA, it's more about having fun and enjoying life and trying to live a high purpose by injecting as much love into each moment via being sporadic, doing things differently, basically living through love, not through the thing that controls people with SA, fear.. That mixed with consciousness in each moment so your thoughts aren't taking over your inner state.

·
Registered
10,831 Posts
I would like to try it. But I'm going to do Toastmasters first.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wanna try it too. I think improv is cool bc it's just letting go completely, like screaming at the top of your lungs, being goofy, just anything goes

·
Inoffensive kitty pic
6,782 Posts
I could never do stand up, that's too hard.

But me and my friend make recordings of us doing interviews about various topics as we play ridiculous characters. For example a southern man talking about the tampon he invented. A snooty British athiest guy. A pair of Irish guys talking about their life struggles. Some of it gets quite funny. We're gunna do some more soon.

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
I've done it, If you're quick on your feet and can get comfortable with the group of people your doing it with it's fun. It can be a little bit demeaning sometimes because just like everything else, their are group dynamics, so if you don't click with people it makes things really uncomfortable. And like acting (which someone made a similar thread about and i have a fair amount of experience with), it has had little to no effect on my general SA symptoms.

·
No Stars on Thars
778 Posts
I have always been interested in acting and the like but, obviously, am too shy to try it. Indeed, I do wonder if it would help me. I think it may, if the group of people are right.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ Kiba,

That's so confusing but at the same time I expected it as I made reference to pickup artists in another thread and how, even with the struggle and then success and gained comfort, they still tend to relapse into depression later. I think Tolle's message is becoming more and more true. It's not about overcoming it, it's about observing what we tell ourselves about it. Bc even with success in the pickup world, they mention that they realize that girls aren't fulfilling, which leads me to assume that nothing is fullfilling, externally, in and of itself that is. Fulfillment and peace comes before all external things. It comes with a calm inner being, that doesn't need to look a certaqin way or be a certain way. Only when you can get to this state does success seem to find you, because you understand that no matter what happens externally, peace and joy come from a much deeper source. When you are in this state, SA no longer has a reality, because you realize that SA is just a function of the body based on external observations. Once you expect nothing and need nothing external to bring you joy, then you have no expectation or want and can just be at peace.

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
Can you give examples of how it can be demeaning?
Unlike acting classes and workshops, improv you are usually dealing with a dynamic group so, outside of a few regulars, their are a lot of people coming and going and a once and awhile you get a few *** hats who laugh and talk behind your back when you can't come up with anything innovative/clever on the spot. It's certaintly not going to happen very often, but when/if it does, it feels like highschool all over again.

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
@ Kiba,

That's so confusing but at the same time I expected it as I made reference to pickup artists in another thread and how, even with the struggle and then success and gained comfort, they still tend to relapse into depression later. I think Tolle's message is becoming more and more true. It's not about overcoming it, it's about observing what we tell ourselves about it. Bc even with success in the pickup world, they mention that they realize that girls aren't fulfilling, which leads me to assume that nothing is fullfilling, externally, in and of itself that is. Fulfillment and peace comes before all external things. It comes with a calm inner being, that doesn't need to look a certaqin way or be a certain way. Only when you can get to this state does success seem to find you, because you understand that no matter what happens externally, peace and joy come from a much deeper source. When you are in this state, SA no longer has a reality, because you realize that SA is just a function of the body based on external observations. Once you expect nothing and need nothing external to bring you joy, then you have no expectation or want and can just be at peace.
Ya I feel you, but I just kind of making the statement more so just that you should partake in performing arts because you enjoy performance. If you're doing it for some other reason (such as for remedying SA, your more than likely going to come away dissapointed). But if you do have an interest, i couldn't recommend it enough. Productions, no matter what side of the equation you are on (performance, production or even the audience for that matter) are always fun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts