Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haha, I lied. But at least I got your attention, right? Please read my long introduction!

I'm a university student from Canada just finishing my first year in Arts. I guess my social anxiety has been a life-long struggle for me, but it was only last summer that I learned what it is. After having been diagnosed by a psychologist, all these years of feeling scared to talk to people, eating lunch alone in a classroom, and having almost no social life made sense. I learned that this isn't a definitive part of who I am, but rather something I need to learn to overcome.

This last year has been a pretty difficult for me in terms of dealing with my anxiety. I'm living away from for the first time in a new city. I'm also living in a dorm which as you may imagine is extremely difficult for someone with SA. Because of my anxiety, I've failed to make any friends over the course of this year, so I'm now motivated take action towards recovery.

In terms of treatment, I've given CBT a go with mixed results. I've realized that medication is probably a better option for me since my anxiety is, to the best of my knowledge, mainly genetic. It's been a week since I started on Effexor and I'm hoping to start seeing the benefits soon.

I'm not sure what I plan to accomplish by joining this community. Maybe it's to share some of my experiences. Maybe it's just to kill time on lonely Friday nights. Whatever it is, I'm looking forward to communicating with all of you and hope I can be a valuable member of this community.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Welcome, Colter13! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
LOL, I have tee that says JOIN THE DARK SIDE WE HAVE FREE COOKIES :) reminded me :p

1 - 9 of 9 Posts