Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was referred to as a 'sir' by an Aldi cashier. Just great.
I'm a woman and didnt even have nerve to tell him. I am hoping it was his culture and lack of social language that got him confused. I certainly do have a feminine physique. I'm not straight up and down, damn it and I have a bossom. Now I am worried I look too blokey.
Nuh, the more I think about it and its darn obvious I'm a woman. His idiocy makes me insecure:mum

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
i got called "mam" on an airplane a couple weeks ago. i just "lol"ed in my head haha.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
He had to be blind, right?
I know you can be distracted and all, but to call an evident woman 'sir'? That's really weird. I'd say he was probably really busy or had a lot on his mind. Nothing personal.

If it happened to me, though, I would have said, 'Do these (pointing at two things that most females have, lol) make me look like a guy, seriously?' There are those times when something rubs me the wrong way and anxiety disappears completely.

·
Prince Procrastinator
237 Posts
I got called 'miss' a few times. It pisses me off. Not so much the gender confusion, but the reason for it. Because I have long hair? Is that it? (it's not even near my shoulders yet). Idiots...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Dont ya hate it! Im surprised people still say sir and mam?
When I was younger (about 13), I was up in the mountains with my family feeding the parrots, it was cold and i had my hair up in a beanie, some mother with a kid, told her kid to 'watch our for the boy' (refering to me as the kid almost ran into me). Ouch being called a boy at a precious awkward age was a shock!

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
He probably just misspoke. It's not unheard of for someone to call a woman "sir" and vice versa, accidentally (even though 'what' they are is obvious).

I don't remember for sure, but I might be guilty of this once or twice in my lifetime.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've also called other people "Mom" and "Dad" before (more so when I was a kid, but still now sometimes). Really embarrassing.
I do this too! :rofl I have a really bad habit of calling my male teachers "Dad" sometimes. It's so embarrassing.

·
Space Cadet
2,458 Posts
I was referred to as a 'sir' by an Aldi cashier. Just great.
I'm a woman and didnt even have nerve to tell him. I am hoping it was his culture and lack of social language that got him confused. I certainly do have a feminine physique. I'm not straight up and down, damn it and I have a bossom. Now I am worried I look too blokey.
Nuh, the more I think about it and its darn obvious I'm a woman. His idiocy makes me insecure:mum
I got called "ma'am" once back when I had long hair.

That was about the same time I tried to grow out my (meager) facial hair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts