Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Since I was a kid I've gone by my middle name because I hate my first name with a passion. (I don't want to say what it is but I'll hint that I'm named after a charatcer from Dante's Inferno. Figure it out.) People rarely pronounced it right, which was my biggest annoyance. My middle name is after a tennis player - go figure, I'm named after a christian gothic character and a tennis player and I turn out an atheist with tennis being my most hated sport.

But anyway, for a few years now I've wanted to change my name legally to my middle name and change the spelling of my middle name to a version I like better. But recently I've seriously considered changing my last name as well. I haven't gotten along with my father for a few years now, so I don't care what he thinks. I've known I would take my husband's name when I got married to get rid of it, but I don't know if I want to wait that long.
I would change my last name to an old family name, the last name of my paternal grandmother before she married into my dad's family. I've always liked that name not only due to how it sounds, but since it has a very detailed history to it (we can trace ancestors back to the time of the Inqusition, when the family was Jewish and left Portugal to escape and where they went since).
Also a lot of people, including my mom, tell me I resemble people from that side of the family in looks and character.

I want to know if you guys think its worth it. It takes time and paperwork, I looked up some legal procedures for my state and the fee isn't too bad. I'm a junior in college now and am planning on grad school. I'd like to change my name before I publish work or become involved in my eventual career.
If anyone has experience with this I'd really love hearing it.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My mother legally changed her surname after she divorced my dad, shes also disowned her family so she didnt want her original surname.. she changed it to Bailey.. coz she likes 'Baileys Irish Cream'.
Personally I wouldnt do it. But if you've got no real attachment to your own name, then why not go for it?
Im not actually related to my surname, my father took his stepfathers name. But I still feel like its my family name. I dont think I could change it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I actually considered doing this myself a while back. I've never liked my first name and have gone by my middle name. I think my first name is weird but most people think its nicer than my middle name, just different. My parents have never called me by my first name. The biggest problem I've had over the years was at school since I had to explain to teachers to call me by my middle name. But now that I work, its not a big deal. And I like the fact that people cant just google me and find information about me since many dont even know I have another name.

When I considered legally switching my first and middle name, I told my parents and they were not happy! So I dropped the subject then and there. In my parents culture, you always call the kids by their middle names. Their families always call them by their middle names. Besides I'm so used to signing my first name that it would be weird to start signing with my middle name.

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I hate my first name, I don't like the sound of it, the connotations, the fact that nobody can pronounce or spell it. When I moved to a new city, I started using a short (and very different) form. It's great, I don't know why it took me so long. Go for it!

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you should go with "Beatrice." I am serious. It's nice. :yes

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)
Close, but my first name is not spelled that way. I like Beatrix (no, not from Kill Bill) and thats what I'll change it to when I make it my middle name.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.