Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been procrastinating about treatment for... two and a half months or so (for social anxiety--much much much longer for my other issues, like probably years.) once i figured out i probably had a problem, i asked my mom to call the employee assistance program (EAP) (she did, after i reminded her daily for like a week) and had an interview with the social worker there. she said she was going to refer me to a psychiatrist to get a real diagnosis, but then she never did because there was a problem with the insurance company, and by that time i had lost my nerve.

so FINALLY about a week ago i begged my mom to call again (she kept refusing, because i guess she thinks i need to suck it up or something) and she (surprisingly) agreed. she found out that i had to call the insurance company and ask what places were covered. i procrastinated for a week, and finally made the call about 15 minutes ago; after getting up the nerve to make THAT call, i was told i had to make ANOTHER call, to the EAP again, to request a reference. my social worker was seeing a client, so i left my name and number and am expecting a call from her sometime today. after i get that call, either the social worker will make me an appointment, or i'll have to call the psychiatrist myself to make an appointment.

i hate the healthcare system in the US.

but the point is that i finally did what i've been waiting to do since april :boogie, and even though i have to make more phone calls and that will be scary, it won't be as scary as the first call was. i just wish i could've gotten it all done at once.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Excellent news. I hope you get a good psychiatrist. They can help as long as you're motivated and ready to try what they suggest you try.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay. i talked to the EAP again. the social worker said i can either go to the psychiatrist she's referring me to, or i can just make an appointment with my GP and get a prescription for something. what do you guys think is a better idea? i'm leaning towards therapy, but idk.

·
Banned
2,173 Posts
I really wish i could tell you, but i myself have yet to seek any help so far about my anxiety. So i really don't know what the best option is.

Thinking about it, maybe i could start exposing myself to more social situations now in the summer holiday. Perhaps i could even take up some of the challanges posted on the "Dare Thread"...

All in all, i think that if you really set your mind on a particular target, there is very little that can stop you. That's at least what i have experienced.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
okay. i talked to the EAP again. the social worker said i can either go to the psychiatrist she's referring me to, or i can just make an appointment with my GP and get a prescription for something. what do you guys think is a better idea? i'm leaning towards therapy, but idk.
Definitely try a psychiatrist. They can write prescriptions(as far as I know) and they're also more informed about anxiety problems. Medication is meant to treat the symptoms of anxiety, it doesnt get to the cause of it, which is really needed unless you want to be on medications forever.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've never used medication but i think you've made the right choice. Because GP's are mostly inexperienced when it comes to stuff like SA and could prescribe you something that could make matters worse if you don't explain your symptoms properly, just like my old GP did luckily i did some research. Sorry for the late response. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts