Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do you miss the past?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 16 years old but next week I turn 17. This is all I've ever wanted right? To be older. At least that's what I thought, but I am now reminiscing my old days. The days where I was just turning 10 in elementary school and I loved Justin Bieber and basketball. When I was 12 and had my first day of middle school and made so many "friends". With that being said I'm just having trouble moving on, everything and everyone is getting older and changing and I'm not growing or changing with it. Life was just great with no worries now I feel like my life is falling apart. I'm doing horrible in highschool, I just got promotion and doubt. I don't know who or if anyone will even read this but just a daily nostalgic dose of me for your day.

·
Super Moderator
4,836 Posts
It may be a bit hard now because of the pressure you will likely have from family and seeing friends 'move on' once reaching college and/or work. I would suggest to not let social media hype of people showing such things off make you become more anxious with yourself. Family members asking what you will be doing will be a pain but I would also try to say brushing it off and give yourself space to think and do what you aim for yourself. If you don't know just yet you still have time.

The later teens is definitely a weird stage to be in. But many of us got out of it and realize that we just do what we think is best with ourselves and that there is no time limit on most of what can be obtained throughout life anyway. You will have it figured out.

·
Karmically Cryptic
Wonder
980 Posts
I just wanted to add, take your time. Slow down. People have all these big dreams and aspirations which is fine. You're young there's no rush. You will see that they are unhappy inside even when they reach their goals. Especially when they were about money or status. Life is all about where we are right now. Make plans for the future, but return to the present. Move forward from here. It is the journey, not the destination. The journey always takes place right now, wherever you are, in the moment.

Just enjoy life.:)

Edit: When planning for your future really think about the destination. Slow down and ask yourself what do you value? Why are you even doing it?

You said you want to be happy and have peace of mind again. I think that may be something you value.

You're lucky enough to be young enough to remember that feeling. Many adults forget. They don't realize we can be truly happy and carefree with the maturity of an adult. That is to say wise but not serious. Sincere but not serious. Serious adults that take themselves so seriously and life so seriously are not happy. Be happy.:)

Do what you love. Love what you do.

All you have to do realize there are no external conditions that need to be met for you to find that happiness and carefree mindedness again. It's right here in the present.

·
Loathed Loiterer
7,987 Posts
Life is still in the very fluid stages in your teens to early adulthood. So observed changes do not really mean much for the most part. Not something to stress out much about or I will compare myself much in relative to others. In reality, beneath all of those changes, they still aren't that much different than you in terms of their placement in life. Just focus on yourself, and experiment/pursue at whatever your mind is drawn to or you feel will bring you enjoyment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts