Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been thinking about quitting but there are some things holding me back. First, this is my biggest reason for not wanting to quit is because it took me forever to get a job and I am afraid that if I quit, it will take me forever to work up enough courage to find another job. Also my parents will be back on my case about me finding another job. The money loss is really no problem. I normally give it away to my brother and sisters anyways. But it is nice to have some spare change in my pocket when I do need it.

I wanna quit because I feel my boss takes way to much advantage of me. Like just last night, I was working my shift and I was pratically done with it. I was just waiting for the next guy to come in and take over. Then my boss calls me and says that so and so is sick and that he can't make it and that he (my boss) can't find anyone else to work for him and so I am all he has. So I tell him that I have school and a test tomorrow and he says what time. This is where I messed up on. I should of told him sometime in the morning but me not being able to think fast enough, says noon. So he says good, then you have enough time to go home and rest up. So I had already worked the 2-10 shift, he also wanted me to work the 6-2 shift. I wasn't pissed off about the guy that got sick, I was pissed off at my boss for making that responsibility fall on my shoulders. If he didn't want to close up the gas station for the night, he should of brought his butt down there to cover the shift. Not only that, I would of probably been more willing to cover for the sick guy but my boss pays no kind of overtime. So it's flat pay. And not only that but I get stuck working every freaking Thanksgiving and there is no holiday pay. He doesn't even close the gas station on major holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I actually ended up not working the whole shift. I called my sister and my dad came to the gas station and called my boss and told him that I was not going to work the whole shift, and for him, my education was worth more then my job and that he needed to find somebody that would come in and cover the shift. So my boss called me back and said that someone would be in by 1-2 o'clock to cover the rest of the shift. The guy that was going to cover me called in and asked if I wanted him to come in now.

My mom said that I should of locked the gas station up, took all the money with me and left until morning. If my boss fired me, she said "oh well, you wanted to leave anyway." Then my sister said she would of quit right there. My dad said that I should of left and locked up too and let my boss deal with it.

Also I live right in the back of the gas station so anytime something goes wrong, guess who gets called to come and fix the problem. ME!!. Also trying to get off vacation time is a b*tch. There is 5 people that work there not including me and only one of them, I can get to cover my shift when I need time off. I don't want to continue to ask this guy but when I try to get somebody else to work for me, they always say no. But I work for them when they need time off. And when they need time off they get some of the other cashiers to work for them. And then I ask my boss for time off and he never responds back to me.

So what I would like to do maybe tomorrow when I go into work or maybe Tuesday when I have more time to think about it is to tell my boss that I am quitting and he has until July? to find a replacement for me and then I am out of there. And then he will probably ask why I am leaving and I will have to think of what to tell him.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Nitarose2,

Has this guy ever heard of labor laws? There are rules about working on holidays and overtime. The only time I could see not getting overtime (like me) is salary pay only. If your are hourly, you should get overtime.

Managers have a job to do themselves, and it's not exactly bossing people around. They are also responsible that the store is run correctly or they get it from their managers, and yes, they do have managers themselves! They have to keep a certain number of employees or they lose their position - it's called headcount.

I don't want to sound assetrtive, but SA normally turns the thinking inward. I am ttying to give you a different perspective.

Please let us know what you decide,

Second, if you sincerely want to look for a new job, I would do it while working at this one! It might give you leverage. In the meantime, it will build your skills in dealing with people. Believe me, if you get fired up enough, SA will not be problem!

·
Registered
994 Posts
I like your last paragraph "When I have had time to think about this" I need to learn that;-)

OH.........I, have no advice for you on how to handle this.......Only that I can empathize with you, I've had jobs like this, at first you want to help, then it's almost like they're taking advantage of you (that's how I felt....).

If you do quit, and your boss does ask why you're leaving, tell him the truth........As an old manager......One of my sayings.....and it's only MINE, you "Never ask someone to do something you wouldn't do yourself" as you can see first hand, not good for the employees morale. It would have been good at least, the min the boss split the shift with you, ask if you could come in earlier, just not to take advantage.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
millenniumman75 said:
Nitarose2,

Has this guy ever heard of labor laws? There are rules about working on holidays and overtime. The only time I could see not getting overtime (like me) is salary pay only. If your are hourly, you should get overtime.

Managers have a job to do themselves, and it's not exactly bossing people around. They are also responsible that the store is run correctly or they get it from their managers, and yes, they do have managers themselves! They have to keep a certain number of employees or they lose their position - it's called headcount.

I don't want to sound assetrtive, but SA normally turns the thinking inward. I am ttying to give you a different perspective.

Please let us know what you decide,

Second, if you sincerely want to look for a new job, I would do it while working at this one! It might give you leverage. In the meantime, it will build your skills in dealing with people. Believe me, if you get fired up enough, SA will not be problem!
My mom had said my boss could get in trouble about the no over time/holiday thing and it is hourly. Another thing he does which can get him into trouble is the back to back to back shifts this one lady that works there does. She works 3 shifts in a row. I guess she doesn't mind doing them but my boss shouldn't allow that to happen. Like from Saturday night to Sunday night. Plus there is always double shifts being pulled and no overtime. I think he is all about the money. That's why he never closes the gas station at all.

·
Registered
994 Posts
The max someone can work in one day (Mi) is 16 hours.........If you work over forty hours, you get OT (MI) if you're not on salary.......

If this man is "Just" the manager and not the owner, he has little control if the business is open or closed on holidays.......

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I used to work the swing shift at a 7-11 so this was a familiar story to me. The swing person is always expected to work graveyard in case the graveyard person calls in sick, and since managers have a hard time hiring for graveyard they usually end up hiring drunks that call in sick a lot.

nitarose2 said:
My mom said that I should of locked the gas station up, took all the money with me and left until morning. If my boss fired me, she said "oh well, you wanted to leave anyway." Then my sister said she would of quit right there. My dad said that I should of left and locked up too and let my boss deal with it.
At least they left you a key. The 7-11 I worked at had a locking door, but only the manager had a key.

I think you should quit. It's only going to get worse.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OneIsALonelyNumber said:
I used to work the swing shift at a 7-11 so this was a familiar story to me. The swing person is always expected to work graveyard in case the graveyard person calls in sick, and since managers have a hard time hiring for graveyard they usually end up hiring drunks that call in sick a lot.

nitarose2 said:
At least they left you a key. The 7-11 I worked at had a locking door, but only the manager had a key.

I think you should quit. It's only going to get worse.
LOL, I don't have a key. Just the outside door remains locked all the time. So during the day we have it open and graveyard shift has to close it. I just assumed that my boss had the key and he could open it when he collected the money in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hema said:
The max someone can work in one day (Mi) is 16 hours.........If you work over forty hours, you get OT (MI) if you're not on salary.......

If this man is "Just" the manager and not the owner, he has little control if the business is open or closed on holidays.......
So let me see if I can clarify this. He is the owner but there is also a landlord that used to own the gas station. But does the owner also own the land we work on. If so then he is the manager.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I hope I'm not being too blunt here, but it sounds like you could do a better job asserting yourself. I have the same problem, as I imagine many people with SA do. Why not sit down and figure out what your boundaries are, and where you think your boss is crossing your boundaries, and then have a conversation with him. The worst that could happen is he refuses to change, but thats ok because you want to quit anyway. I believe the only way to learn how to assert yourself is to practice.

Good luck! :)

·
Potato
1,002 Posts
Man that sucks, and I agree with Mork. Just something to add here:

My last job, my boss took advantage of me too. One time he called me up at 9pm at night (when my work ended at about noon that day) and asked for me to come in because a customer had a problem. Uh Hello, couldn't he handle it? I actually argued with him on the phone and said how stupid it was for him to be calling me to come in to handle something. So at the end I caved, went in and it was just a dissastisfied customer which had nothing to do with me.

I ended up quitting that job when my boss went too far and decided to change how he was paying us. I was a housekeeper, and he used to pay by room, and he was switching to be paid by the hour because he was so cheap. That would make my new paycheck about $200 less for the same work. I quit the day he introduced the new policy. They shouldn't be allowed to do that stuff.

I hope things get better with your situation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts